R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default First Time racing/driving the JRX-S...

Well, about a month or two ago I purchased a JRX-S (original, not the type R) from my hobby shop for about 300 bucks. Build went together smoothly, and seemed pretty good quality. I stuck a Mamba Max 6900 system in there in addition to my spektrum.

Today I went to Hobbytown USA because they have parking lot races which I have been a spectator at before, but this time I could finally race! I had to hunt down some tires cause i didn't have any, and i only had 20 bucks in my pocket. SOOO....i had to get this crappy junk HPI tires at the hobby shop:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCYT2&P=7

I got the tires mounted up, we are racing on asfault and about an hour before the race I was tightening my front differential,and i must have overtightened it since the front right diff outdrive broke. I couldn't believe this had to happen before a race, I don't have any spare parts for this thing and I have to race!! I had to resort to the CA glue, the hobby shop didnt' have the part, but its not like I even had any money to even buy the part anyways!!! lol. I let the part sit for about 45 minutes after CA'ing it. I put it back on and hoped that this baby will stay together....I was racing in the intermediate class, during practice i was definatly way faster than my competition, but i could not get any grip. These tires were just not doing justice. Through the turns i just spin out and flip around. It wants to go but it just can't! I was sliding through corners and spinning out 50 percent of the time, luckely in the straights my Mamba really made up some time.

In the end i placed 2nd out of 5, last place car had a runaway LOL...and 4th place car was just slow, the 3rd place car was okay, but i was faster.

What I learned was, racing is fun, my tires suck, I need some money, and i shouldn't overtighten differentials It was a fun day, but I am not going to be able to run again for awhile since i have no way of getting new tires lol. Cool car though fo sho!
Also, what tires do you recommend and any other things i should get for this?

THANKS!

-Steve
rustlerboi1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to teammidget lilB

for tires
-cs 27s or rp 30s are the best

U.S. Army @ Camp Humphreys, South Korea
teammidget lilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Do you think you could get me a linky to those?? Thanks
Old 08-29-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlerboi1052 View Post
Do you think you could get me a linky to those?? Thanks
Hobby shop you raced at should have them or can get them for you.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Tech Addict

What other tires that are online would you suggest just so I can see them?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Finding the absolute best tire on any given raceday can be very frustrating. Just remember that wheeling a toy car at high speeds is fun, no matter how well it grips the track.

Here's some tires that will work most anywhere. The other suggestions will also work well most anywhere as well.
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

thats awesome that you got to race. Just a switch in tires will help a lot. Just remember, to stay cool and take it easy, so you dont get frustrated. Sounds like you did ok for the first time out. Try learning some chassis tuning as well. I know its not what you were asking for, but its nice to hear when people get to race finally Broke your cherry, so to speak
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to racer34v

i am sure i have a set of used cs27s you can have to get you going, pm me your addy if you want them
racer34v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:19 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post
thats awesome that you got to race. Just a switch in tires will help a lot. Just remember, to stay cool and take it easy, so you dont get frustrated. Sounds like you did ok for the first time out. Try learning some chassis tuning as well. I know its not what you were asking for, but its nice to hear when people get to race finally Broke your cherry, so to speak

Well said!............. And welcome to the wonderful world of racing. That's how it started with me and I was hooked for life!............ But like was said, be very patient and take in everything. It could be very rewarding but frustrating at times. Keep coming on here and ask questions. Once your locked in on a set-up and tire combo, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and PRACTICE........... Your going to get dialed and that's when it really feels like it's coming together...... BTW, That's a great car and there is a thread here you can check out for tuning and trouble shooting.

............ So take your time and once again, welcome!!.............. Your going to love it!

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Wow....i'm surprized by all of the replies, thank you! I appreciate everyone's input.
racer34v, that would be great!! I couldn't thank you enough!! If you ever need something let me know and i'll hook you up so we're even.
convikt, I am messing around with some of the settings right now, my front differential is way messed up from that broken outdrive. I tried CA gluing it back together again, but when i turn one wheel, the other one doesn't turn even though it is very tight

Kwikvdub, Thanks!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Great that your racing but for a first timer you should be prepared, never racing before and going to the trackwithout any rubber is just crazy, you cant have expected it to go perfect. Also, you should have just went out first time instead of wrenching on something you didnt know the effect of. lot of beginners first time mess round with their car or are underprepared, go out first time, bomb it and think its the cars fault and just get narked off, be prepared and think logically about things and dont rush or get frustrated with the kit.
It may seem like im just constantly berating you but I know Id have appreciated a strong bit of advice when I started
thecrow2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
Tech Master

the crow has great points,

the more time you spend wrenching at home the more time you will spend ON the track

as with anything in life the more you put into it the more you get out of it...!!!

i only race every other weekend in the winter due to balancing other commitments and as a result i spend my time at home setting up my car, checking bearings, belts, slop, broken parts, diffs, shocks, etc etc etc.

i also race full size cars and many things carry over to the smalls, i have created a checklist with everything on it so nothing is overlooked.

its kinda funny how many things are the same regardless of scale, some people show up to the track with the wrong tires (no pun intended) cars not set up, maintence work not completed, batteries not charged, tools left at home.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
Tech Addict

I totally understand what you two are saying. There is another race next wednesday that i hope to attend at. I have been wrenching on my car pretty much the whole day today, testing things out, minus the outdrive issue. I hope to get that replacement outdrive before wednesday too, none of my hobby shops have it!!

Also, anybody know a way to fit regular stick packs and 2 cell lipos without too much modification to the JRX-S chassis? One more question, what brand makes the CS 27S tires?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't believe you can fit either stick packs nor lipo without hacking the chassis alot. I know a couple people tried ,but it didn't really work out.

Sportworks Recoil - MMR Spec, GTX

Additional Feedback: http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=145047
peded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #15
Tech Master

the cs tires are made by ''take-off''