Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
HOW LONG BEFORE BL BECOMES THE NORM AND BRUSHED BECOMES THE COMMODITY??? >

HOW LONG BEFORE BL BECOMES THE NORM AND BRUSHED BECOMES THE COMMODITY???

HOW LONG BEFORE BL BECOMES THE NORM AND BRUSHED BECOMES THE COMMODITY???

Old 08-29-2007, 01:28 PM
  #76  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
bxpitbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union City, New Jersey
Posts: 1,883
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

[QUOTE=barber;3625947]the person who started this forums stured up a ants nest
QUOTE]


I make it my point to start a controversial thread that is guaranteed to:

1. get insight
2. get debates going
3. break the monotony of threads like "my car turns different because I might not have enough toe in" or "when I true my tires, what should I do with the excess foams?".

My threads are meant to be insightful AND incite a riot. Good to see where other folks think the hobby is going and how some refuse to "conform"
bxpitbull is offline  
Old 08-29-2007, 01:43 PM
  #77  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
barber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: babados
Posts: 269
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

i agree with you 100% dispite what we say its the future ,and if you are like me when you move from br to bL u do not look back and where i am from in barbados in the carribbean a small place we have made the switch we only run stock brushed motors or 19 turn &
novak is not making it easy either to stay running br.
barber is offline  
Old 08-29-2007, 03:31 PM
  #78  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
hobbipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,372
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Lets see, Nitro power speed, long run times, zero tuning, hardly any motor maintenance...its a no brainer for me. I actually dumped my nitro cars and trucks went toally BL and lipo. For me with a business and family I dont have time to play around with cleaning and tuning, When I go to run I'm lucky to get an hour to myself. Being able to charge a pack days before and slap it in and go is simply priceless. Some have said on here people are just getting lazy, and want the lazy route, I beg to differ. Some of us have such a hectic schedule these days anything to cut down on comm cutting, soldering ect is a blessing. I can run without worrying about frying my new motor, changing the brushess out. I could very easily leave the hobby and never look back, but since I've been into this for 22+ yrs, I think I'll stay and have some fun, and fun should be the bottom line weather someone runs BL, or brushed motors.
hobbipro is offline  
Old 08-29-2007, 03:40 PM
  #79  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (181)
 
pink_sleeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Planet Melmac
Posts: 4,856
Trader Rating: 181 (99%+)
Default

Originally Posted by beavis353 View Post
Im not sure anyone really does this on purpose do they?

To answer the other question, brushed motors fade on the acceleration side at the end of the run, where brushless motors dont as much.

Brushless motors fade a bit on how they deaccelerate from the beginning of the run to the end of the run, especially with 4wd or sedan which create a lot of heat. If you set your "drag" at 6 blinks when the system is cold, it will act like 4 blinks when everything is hot.

The power band for brushless is a lottle more erratic than brushed also, especially for 2wd mod, or 1/12th mod. There are advantages both ways in my opinion.

What Up Dan. Gearing up for indoor?
sure am. are you?
pink_sleeve is offline  
Old 08-29-2007, 05:18 PM
  #80  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
shaggys40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 103
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hobbipro View Post
Lets see, Nitro power speed, long run times, zero tuning, hardly any motor maintenance...its a no brainer for me. I actually dumped my nitro cars and trucks went toally BL and lipo. For me with a business and family I dont have time to play around with cleaning and tuning, When I go to run I'm lucky to get an hour to myself. Being able to charge a pack days before and slap it in and go is simply priceless. Some have said on here people are just getting lazy, and want the lazy route, I beg to differ. Some of us have such a hectic schedule these days anything to cut down on comm cutting, soldering ect is a blessing. I can run without worrying about frying my new motor, changing the brushess out. I could very easily leave the hobby and never look back, but since I've been into this for 22+ yrs, I think I'll stay and have some fun, and fun should be the bottom line weather someone runs BL, or brushed motors.
I couldn't agree more. I race once or twice a week, 13.5 BL Lipo (or silvercan). I arrive 30 minutes before racing, which is enough time to plug in the charger and get my MaxAmps 6000 Lipo up to 80%+, Look over my car, wrench, sauce, lube, and 30 minutes later I'm racing. At the end of the race I take 10 minutes to get my pit area in order and take care of any wreckage from the main, BS at the counter, and I'm out the door. That's all the time I have to give to the hobby in a race day and it is perfect for me. IMO the reason BL will dominate club level racing is TIME.

One other point .... 3 years ago, before BL really hit the streets, I began racing my first tb-02 in the parking lot of my LHS, My pit equiptment consisted of a crappy dynamite charger (BEEP BEEP BEEP), 2 stick 3300's and a couple screw drivers. After a few months of that I cruised up to the nearest indoor carpet track where the "serious" racers we found. When I took a look at their pit areas I couldn't hardly even figure out what half the electronic crap on their pit tables could possibly be used for. Overwhelming to say the least, but more importantly, a turn off to "serious" racing. Too much shi# to buy just to compete! I won't name off the list of gear a real brushed nimh stock racer needs, we all know how long that list is......BUT .... with BL Lipo Im down to ..... 1 charger, 2 sticks (lipos), cars, tools and parts. Hell I only plug in my soldering iron once a month to refresh connections. I have a small pit with a little gear and I can compete at the club level. When a new guy walks in off the street and into any BL Lipo racers pit area to see what this RC racing thing is all about, they aren't blown away by how much gear it takes just to race competitively. Simplicity is attractive to the newbie, and the newb is the only thing that will keep this hobby alive.

The way I see it .... BL Lipo racing is a Hobby ..... Brushed NIMH racing is an Obsession
shaggys40oz is offline  
Old 08-29-2007, 06:54 PM
  #81  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
bxpitbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union City, New Jersey
Posts: 1,883
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hobbipro View Post
Lets see, Nitro power speed, long run times, zero tuning, hardly any motor maintenance...its a no brainer for me. I actually dumped my nitro cars and trucks went toally BL and lipo. For me with a business and family I dont have time to play around with cleaning and tuning, When I go to run I'm lucky to get an hour to myself. Being able to charge a pack days before and slap it in and go is simply priceless. Some have said on here people are just getting lazy, and want the lazy route, I beg to differ. Some of us have such a hectic schedule these days anything to cut down on comm cutting, soldering ect is a blessing. I can run without worrying about frying my new motor, changing the brushess out. I could very easily leave the hobby and never look back, but since I've been into this for 22+ yrs, I think I'll stay and have some fun, and fun should be the bottom line weather someone runs BL, or brushed motors.
Originally Posted by shaggys40oz View Post
I couldn't agree more. I race once or twice a week, 13.5 BL Lipo (or silvercan). I arrive 30 minutes before racing, which is enough time to plug in the charger and get my MaxAmps 6000 Lipo up to 80%+, Look over my car, wrench, sauce, lube, and 30 minutes later I'm racing. At the end of the race I take 10 minutes to get my pit area in order and take care of any wreckage from the main, BS at the counter, and I'm out the door. That's all the time I have to give to the hobby in a race day and it is perfect for me. IMO the reason BL will dominate club level racing is TIME.

One other point .... 3 years ago, before BL really hit the streets, I began racing my first tb-02 in the parking lot of my LHS, My pit equiptment consisted of a crappy dynamite charger (BEEP BEEP BEEP), 2 stick 3300's and a couple screw drivers. After a few months of that I cruised up to the nearest indoor carpet track where the "serious" racers we found. When I took a look at their pit areas I couldn't hardly even figure out what half the electronic crap on their pit tables could possibly be used for. Overwhelming to say the least, but more importantly, a turn off to "serious" racing. Too much shi# to buy just to compete! I won't name off the list of gear a real brushed nimh stock racer needs, we all know how long that list is......BUT .... with BL Lipo Im down to ..... 1 charger, 2 sticks (lipos), cars, tools and parts. Hell I only plug in my soldering iron once a month to refresh connections. I have a small pit with a little gear and I can compete at the club level. When a new guy walks in off the street and into any BL Lipo racers pit area to see what this RC racing thing is all about, they aren't blown away by how much gear it takes just to race competitively. Simplicity is attractive to the newbie, and the newb is the only thing that will keep this hobby alive.

The way I see it .... BL Lipo racing is a Hobby ..... Brushed NIMH racing is an Obsession
You guys have summed up my points in a nutshell. Thank you.
bxpitbull is offline  
Old 08-29-2007, 07:08 PM
  #82  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fresno,CA
Posts: 266
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by HD-F1 View Post
I don't know that to be the case Dave but I do agree the BL takes the art of tuning motors away from the guys that know how. But there again it levels the playing field, Bl motors can be tuned also by the right person according to Mr.EA.
Is that info from EA on this site?
gezer2u is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 08:48 AM
  #83  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
Jochim_18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CENCAL
Posts: 2,438
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Brushless will take over and thats the fact. Because why:

1. Almost no maintenace
2. You have more time tuning your car instead of working on those brushed motor.
3. Efficient thoughout the whole run.
4. Fast
5. Very cheap in a long run compared to using brushed motor.

I've been running touring car competitively for the past 7 years. Before brushless I have to true the comm replaced brushes after every heat just to keep the same performance of the motor, Zapped cans every week before race day. ETC........ But now I have family, my 2 year old daughter and work there is no way I can do all this crap.

I've been running Novak brushless system for about a year now and still using the same motor no fade in performance. At my local track I hate to say it but there is only very few of us running brushless system 3 to be exact but slowly every guys that are running brushed motor is thinking of getting brushless. Because why they are getting smoke!!!!..... I've been into top of my game since I start running brushless because I have more time to work on my car and driving.

I'm still using NIMH packs but very soon I'll be switching to LIPO. There is alot of sissies at my local track b!tch!ng about LIPO.
Jochim_18 is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:08 AM
  #84  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
bxpitbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union City, New Jersey
Posts: 1,883
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Amazing isnt it Jochim? I have all 4 of my Novak motors, even my first which was bonded and they ALL run good. Less time working and fumbling with one aspect of r/c, giving you more time to concentrate on other things. When you go Li-po, your motors really will stretch their legs! Novaktwo, one question...Mini System????!!!!!!!

Last edited by bxpitbull; 08-30-2007 at 09:21 AM.
bxpitbull is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:34 AM
  #85  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
Jochim_18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CENCAL
Posts: 2,438
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I have purchased a 1/18th Robitronics scalpel few months ago still haven't played with it yet But I'm also planning to get a brushless system for it.
Jochim_18 is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:50 AM
  #86  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
bxpitbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union City, New Jersey
Posts: 1,883
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Novak is coming out with a mini system at or around the Christmas season. When they hits, if you dont opt for the Novak, I'll give you my Mamba!
bxpitbull is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 11:39 AM
  #87  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20
Default

I picked up an RC mag at the airport and read about all the new advances (ie brushless motors and lipos) in RC and now after 10 year complete absence I am anxious to get back.

Its a certainty Brushless and Lipos are bringing people back into the hobby.
Donovan is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 11:40 AM
  #88  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Poole, UK
Posts: 66
Default

Aw man what am I going to do if I don't have to rebuild 4 motors on Saturday night? Take the wife out that's what. Now that is what I call expensive!
yellowshark is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 11:53 AM
  #89  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
bxpitbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Union City, New Jersey
Posts: 1,883
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Who says you have to be the one to shell out the duckets? Let her pay once in a while
bxpitbull is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 12:34 PM
  #90  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
shaggys40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 103
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by yellowshark View Post
Aw man what am I going to do if I don't have to rebuild 4 motors on Saturday night? Take the wife out that's what. Now that is what I call expensive!

SO TRUE!
shaggys40oz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.