R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2003, 02:25 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Default Xray T1 Evo2 -VERSUS- Yokomo MR4-TC SSG Special Edition

I'm in the market for a new competition level touring car, I currently own an Atsushi Hara Pro 3 replica, but the car just isn't cutting it and isn't very adjustable. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the Xray T1 Evo2 or the Yokomo MR4-TC SSG Special Edition.

Which car is better in your opinion and why? What are the downsides to each car?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Balak Racing Send a message via Yahoo to Balak Racing

Well, I haven't driven either of them, but here's what I can conclude just from looking at them:

1) Yok is much cheaper. Price difference will more than pay for a good stock or 19 turn motor
2) EVO 2 is much more adjustable. Could be an advantage or a curse, depends on how technical you want to get with set-ups.
3) Yok is easier to work on. Shaft cars always are. Yok even looks easier than the TC3 due to diff access.
4) Do you like saddle or side-by-side? If you want side-by-side packs, you will need to get another aftermarket part to secure the cells - or use strapping tape.
5) Parts in both kits are probably top notch. Same with instructions.
6) EVO 2 comes with an adjustable mid one-way, Yok doesn't. Could be helpful in different track layouts depending on driver's style.
7) Yok comes standard with anti-roll bars, they are aftermarket with the EVO 2.
8) EVO 2 has shocks that can be adjusted externally.
9) My TSN is a great place for customer support. Yokomo USA isn't bad, but it's not as good as My TSN.
10) Both cars look totally kick ass, so you will get plenty of new "friends" in your pit area.

My first ten observations.

Bryan
Balak Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 10:43 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've got both the EVO-2 and new YOK SD.
It's a very tough choice. both cars are excellent.
Both cars has everything you need to be competative out of the box. I'm still looking for a good setup for the SD..but the EVO-2 is the fastest out of the box. option parts are easier to get right now...tons listed on EBAY. SD parts are arriving every passing day..

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 10:56 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Accord: I noticed that you actually are comparing the SSG SP, not the SD version of the Yok. I am not versed on the Evo at all, but I will say that once you find a setup that works well for the Yok, it is extremely competitive. And it holds the setup very well. On the other hand, when the car is setup poorly, it can be a real handful to drive. But, I think that applies to any car.

With that said, much of what Balak Racing has said applies. In addition, parts availability for the Yok is pretty good (stateside) through mailorder. But, the old rule of checking in with your LHS for what they support (i.e. have parts for).

You can also expect that when you take the body off of the Yok and people see the SSG chassis for them to stop and "pay homage"

Cheers.
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 01:56 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

My LHS carries a full line of Xray parts and if they don't have something they can get it in 1 day. Also there is a sponsored Xray team driver at my track, so that's always a plus.

I used to have a Yokomo YR4M2 Pro and it was a great car, but it broke very easily. How is the durability of both cars?
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 01:59 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord
My LHS carries a full line of Xray parts and if they don't have something they can get it in 1 day. Also there is a sponsored Xray team driver at my track, so that's always a plus.

I used to have a Yokomo YR4M2 Pro and it was a great car, but it broke very easily. How is the durability of both cars?
the Yokomo still breaks but not as much..since materials are better than before.
THe Xray is built like a tank! It will take alot of abuse before it breaks.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:37 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

I would get the Yokomo because it's shaft drive and I really like shaft drive. But if your planning to race your car out doors too than I would get the X-Ray t1 raycer. If you drove the Yokomo out doors it would scratch up that beutiful alum. finish on the chassis . I would get the t1 raycer over the evo2 if I were going to race carpet or out doors. I know a x-ray team driver and he likes the raycer more then the evo2 even for racing on indoor carpet. He said its much easier to drive and prefers it over the evo2. Just my 2cents.
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 02:21 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Around here the Yok SD is 25-30 % more expensive than the XRay Evo2 !

Personally, I think that the XRay by far got the easiest ACCESS to adjustability. Shocks are externally adjustable, wheel base and caster only requires other clips (seconds !), adjustable center one-way, diffs are externally adjustable....

All this makes it easier to setup the car properly. And the right setup, means more than "this car" or "that car". Besides, XRay makes real good setup guides.

Somebody else, claimed that the XRay are more solid.

So personally, I would got for the XRay. And if you also consider the Raycer, the price cant be beaten !