R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
why is it some people say the 13.5 is closer to a 19t, others say closer to 23t, and some say close to stock.
I guess the same can be said as to "Why are SOME people 3-4 laps slower than OTHERS with the same exact equipment?" Usually driving ability and setup.

Some have found 13.5's NO faster than STOCK...usually because they simply are not geared right...or don't have the right setup (And didn't have anyone PUSHING them to find a FASTER setup)

13.5's ARE Faster than a 27t STOCK motor. PERIOD~! If you have NOT found this to be true - your setup isn't right...or you are NOT running a LEGAL 27t motor...or you are not a good enough driver to CREATE the difference. (Some guys can only go so fast regardless of WHAT they run...I know, cause I'm one of THOSE guys)

I am actually proving to be FASTER running a 13.5 motor than a 10.5 motor...

WHY? Because, When I drive the 10.5, I'm out of control...but if I put the SLOWER 13.5 motor in...I can driver VERY agressive and DEEP and HARD and actually go faster...but, I'm still 3-4 laps SLOWER w/ the 13.5 then the FAST guys are w/ the 10.5's. BUT That's MY limitations.

There is no RIGHT/WRONG on the Brushed/Brushless issue. There are great/FUN classes you can do in each.

The biggest thing that it seems too often TOO MANY people do though is make the ISSUES bigger than the FUN of Racing...if people would take 2 steps back and remember WHY they started racing R/C Cars...and get back to the "FUN FACTOR" and get away from the "B.S. Factor" they'd be having a lot more of a good time.

On the subject of Beginners w/ B/L motors...and SPEED ISSUES.

How often do you hear a prospective NEWBIE walk into a hobbyshop and want "The FASTEST" thing they can buy....to simply find out they are NOT able to drive it...or it's so OUT of CONTROL they quickly lose interest?

Well, we are working on helping curb this issue with the testing of some SLOWER B/L motors.

We've finished testing and proving the 17.5 motor - which NOVAK is now releasing in a full marketing campaign...and we are also testing a 21.5 and 25.5 motor.

Very interesting results so far with both of these... Because they don't have great acceleration, but they are able to carry a pretty quick top speed due to the TORQUE they produce...so they come off the corners very easy w/o being out of control, yet they are able to run pretty fast. (On OVALS)

We'll have to see how they shape up on a "On-Road" situation, but I'm thinking due to the low KV (RPM Per Volt) they may be hard to gear in a lot of Touring type applications. (The 17.5's are I believe 2100 KV compared to a 10.5 which is 4300 KV) KV = RPM Per VOLT "unloaded"
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to xtreameracer

is the brushless 13.5 any faster than the fastest stock brushed motor ? , that should be the question. i know that a brushless is fast but i think you can find stock motors "built" as fast. i say the A main motor at snowbirds, vegas and every other big race motor will keep up with a 13.5.
xtreameracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

I will say this, I am running a brushed CO27 that was a handout from last years Birds. At both of my local tracks my car is FASTER than the Brushless 13.5's.

Down the straights I am able to pull them by a few cars, the ONLY advantage I see with brushless is they get off the corners alot faster..MORE PUNCH. But I have a feeling that is more to do with the guys gearing them to the moons so they can keep up. We had one guy yesterday gearing a Novak 13.5 at 3.80....Yeah he was fast but he was also 3-4 ft. off the line. LOL

I went to one of the tracks yesterday for the very first time this year. One of the "LOCALS" put a GTB and 13.5 in his car yesterday first thing after running brushed all seson. ALL day he was slower than his Brushed runs had been all year. Now he did win the Main but he got a clean 5 mins. But the last min. and a half I was about .4 a lap faster.

At the other track I have Tq'ed and won for the last 4 weeks vs. Brushless Lipo and Brushless 4200's. I am Tq'ing by an average of 2-3 secs and in the mains have been about 6 secs faster.

I have an LRP TC spec and 13.5 coming this week. I will (for me) settle the brushed vs. Brushless battle this Sun.
I will be going to the track I have been able to run at all year. If my lap times are not the same as what I have been turning with Brushed then that will answer my Brushed/brushless questions.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:21 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

its kind of point less to compare driver a to b, with different gear,
I just finished up a spec nitro series where we all ran identical HPI EVO RTR cars.... Beleive me there where many guys getting smoked down the straight, even with identical equipment, Driver ability is so important

The debate is impossible unless you where to CHASSIS DYNO the two motors in identical cars(or the same car)

It brings me back to my quest for a ROAR rules or standard in regards to the next generation of STOCK racing. Forget equivilents. How about a ROAR rule for stock brushless?? Ill bump up my old thread again Right now there is no stock brushless by definition each and everyone of them are modified motors even the CRAWLER brushless motors.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post

What I really want to know, is, what are the advantages of regular TV? I'm so sick of having the HDTV stuff shoved down my throat.

SHHHHHHHHhhhhh - (listen)????

.......... Is that sarcasm I hear? -

Hey Syn!

Are yo gonna make it up to the race in Novenmber>>>>??

BTW - I Finally got you figured out!!!

Dictionary.com (Meaning of Syndr0me)

synĚdrome (sĭn'drōm') Pronunciation Key
n.
A group of symptoms that collectively indicate or characterize a disease, psychological disorder, or other abnormal condition.

A complex of symptoms indicating the existence of an undesirable condition or quality.

tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #36
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeardmore View Post
Hey Syn!

Are yo gonna make it up to the race in Novenmber?
I was going to, but then I remembered I got married that week a year ago and decided I can't afford a divorce yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeardmore View Post
BTW - I Finally got you figured out!!!

Dictionary.com (Meaning of Syndr0me)

synĚdrome (sĭn'drōm') Pronunciation Key
n.
A group of symptoms that collectively indicate or characterize a disease, psychological disorder, or other abnormal condition.

A complex of symptoms indicating the existence of an undesirable condition or quality.

Nice! It's cause I'm down like syndrome. Werewolf!
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

I "THOUGHT" you'd "Like" that.....! heheheheheeeee!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Syndr0me = Down like Werewolf....! LOL

(Brought to you by "THE FART INHALER"...!!!) ROFLMAO..!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #39
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If you're in town for the NASCAR race during IIC, you should flee wyandotte county and head over to Fastlane. :-)
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:28 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
If you're in town for the NASCAR race during IIC, you should flee wyandotte county and head over to Fastlane. :-)
WILL THERE BE RACING sATURDAY NIGHT??