R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This place is getting a little ridiculous now. If you don't run lipo and brushless you are wrong, and if anyone opposes the following, they are haters who aren't "embracing the future." I really don't care if you use brushless and lipo, but don't push it on me every second you get.

Well I will give a couple positive things on brushed as that was the original question.

1. At the moment roar does not allow brushless motors. This means any national event that follows roar rules (even if not roar sanctioned) will not allow. As well as down to the regional level roar event.

2. Because of #1, cars are designed with brushed motors in mind.

3. Here's my main turnoff from brushless. They aren't as beginner friendly to the novice. I've seen many beginners say, "hey less maintenance, I'm going brushless" That's fine maintenance-wise, but a brushless motor acts differently than a brushed motor, and is an uncontrollable ballistic missile. A brushed motor has that resistance to slow your car to the right speeds to make a corner. I've seen a number of beginners start with brushless only to drop out because they think it's carpet that isn't for them.

Do you guys seriously believe that at a club level every brushed guy is rebuilding and rebrushing their motor in between rounds? At that weekly club level, running 2 times a week, maybe 8-9 packs per week, I can let my motor go without a rebuild for 3-4 weeks, until I actually notice it falling off compared to those at the same pace as myself.

Do you NEED to buy a lathe and 20 motors? NO. I know there are probably 5-6 guys any given night willing to cut your motor for you, there goes the expense of a lathe. And where did this buying numerous motors and armatures thought come from? You can use the same motor until the comm peels.

If the so called "FUD Factor" isn't going both ways, look at this thread and these forums in general.
JoelV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Your stock motor will always be slower than a 13.5. The 13.5 is closer to a 19t than a stock motor, when geared correctly.
why is it some people say the 13.5 is closer to a 19t, others say closer to 23t, and some say close to stock.

btw brushed has a nicer feeling
myk505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Big Daddy Cool

I love both brushless and brushed motors. But to stay on topic, I'll say what I like about brushed motors only. Specifically, spec brushed motors. The most popular TC class in my area is 23T stock. Even Tamiya has this as a race class here open to any chassis and batteries (lipo or nixx) provided you use Tamiya 23T motors. HPI also has a 23T TC race series that ran 8 minute heats last season allowing the use of any 23T motor. Club races for this class are also frequently run. One motor can easily last a full race series for me (10 race days with two qualifying and three main heats plus practice runs) with occassional comm cutting (twice per series). If I geared them a bit more conservatively, maybe I can do with one of these motors per year. These motors are also dirt cheap at the equivalent of about US$ 23.00 apiece and they can be fast. With the 23T class, racing is close despite several racers having better motor tuning skills. Car/chassis breakeage also is minimal as the slightly slower speeds don't result to devastating crashes. For the past two years, I have almost exclusively ran this spec 23T class and I have enjoyed the closest racing since I started RC 10 years ago. Over these past 10 years, I have probably gone through less than 15 brushed motors. Some of these motors are still in my storage box and still good to go like my Tamiya Dyna Run and Trinity gold can D3.5 motors. They're not much use now for modified TC racing as newer brushed and brushless systems are way faster but they can still serve me well for my new-found interest in off-road RC where motor hp seems less of an advantage. As an added bonus, the shift from brushed to BL by many racers result to some really good and inexpensive deals on slightly used ESCs.
Big Daddy Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
All the sponsored stock guys will still be your friend.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im sticking with brushed motors until they stop making them, electric cars should be tuneable as far as motors go. HOW MANY NITRO GUYS YOU THINK WOULD CONVERT OVER TO A MOTOR THAT CANNOT BE TUNED??? HMMM, NONE!! think about that.

"Donnie, your out of your element"
Dave Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

i admit bl is the future , but i like tuning my brushed motors , i enjoy the results , ray
ray3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
Im sticking with brushed motors until they stop making them, electric cars should be tuneable as far as motors go. HOW MANY NITRO GUYS YOU THINK WOULD CONVERT OVER TO A MOTOR THAT CANNOT BE TUNED??? HMMM, NONE!! think about that.
BL are tunable. You can adjust timing and rotor diameters. Changing rotors is similar to changing brush/spring combinations in brushed. I am sure there will be more tuning options to come.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:23 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Positive: You can move underground and be a brushed rebel!
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #24
Tech Elite

i like brushed better, it never gave me such a hard time as all my brushless failure's.

3 novak's, 2 mamba max' sofar.
only one brushed blew but it's totally my fault, over-voltage really.
UK.hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

the only reason i went brushless was due to maintenance issues. as a relative noob to the hobby, i found it "painfull" to be practicing with my race motors (was racing 27T). i cut comms after every race/practice day... with the hope of being somehow competitive. every cut from the lathe felt like money being shaved away.

however, to stick with the topic, the advantages of brushed motors that i've found are:

1. i'm naturally a gearhead... i find great satisfaction with being able to rebuild and tune a motor to a competitive level (locally, at least).

2. cars are easier to balance since the electronics are smaller and less complicated.

the good things i've found on brushless (+ LiPo) are:

1. less gear to bring to the track.

2. speed is addicting.

3. i can just focus on adjusting the car to suit my driving skills and the track... or just hang out with the guys and chat between heats.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

No matter how much I've adjusted the brushless ESC and my radio, I've never been able to get my brushless motors to drag brake as well as my brushed. Everytime I swich back to brushed motors, I'm reminded how much more linear they are than brushless, which can sometimes feel like a switch.

The other upside to brushed motors is that total failures are almost non-existant where as brushless motors and can throw a sensor or rotor or the bearing can fail without warning.

After running over a year with brushless, we switched to 19T spec last year and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Now it looks like we will be trynig the 13.5s and I'm looking forward to the relative ease of use.

I like the comparison to carburetors and feul injection because by carburetors are by far the most dominate form of feul delivery system in the most popular racing series in North America (NASCAR)!
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Thanks for the feedback guys.
wfdfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #28
Tech Addict

I like the comparison to carburetors and feul injection because by carburetors are by far the most dominate form of feul delivery system in the most popular racing series in North America (NASCAR)![/QUOTE]

Cool comparison
wfdfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:45 PM   #29
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
No matter how much I've adjusted the brushless ESC and my radio, I've never been able to get my brushless motors to drag brake as well as my brushed. Everytime I swich back to brushed motors, I'm reminded how much more linear they are than brushless, which can sometimes feel like a switch.
The LRP 13.5 is the first time I've felt like the motors were getting close to that linear feel again, with natural drag brake. I believe the smaller air gap between the rotor and stator is the reason for that, and am told Novak's new 13mm rotor will help achieve the same effect in their motors.

Sorry for the threadjack.

What I really want to know, is, what are the advantages of regular TV? I'm so sick of having the HDTV stuff shoved down my throat.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
What I really want to know, is, what are the advantages of regular TV? I'm so sick of having the HDTV stuff shoved down my throat.
LMAO
g_mabry is offline   Reply With Quote