R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-27-2007, 01:54 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Demon View Post
i had fans because even with the highest ratio possible (TT01 - 61/19 = 8.35 FDR) after a 30min run the motor is really hot, ive actually been considering a TCS for quite some time now. I took the fans off because i found they drop the runtime alot, i might hook them up again, but instead of using 2 x 25mm fans, i was going to opt for 1 x 40mm fan...

I have a 67T spur from a DF02, but in order for it to fit i have to make a few mods to the gear cover & bottom of the chassis... but a 67T spur & 19T pinion will bring it to around the 9 mark...
i run my 7700 in the nines my 4600 is geared between 7.4 and 8 run time and temps arent a problem for me and in running a ta05
C_Suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:00 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Well, if you were drawing more amps than the battery could handle, you'd end up with more problems than just the cutoff. How long into running the pack are you getting this problem?

On the Maxamps vs. Orion question - I am done recommending Maxamps for any purpose. I don't want to ruin your thread with that topic so if you want to know why, PM me or read some of the other lipo threads running right now.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:02 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hey guys ive been drifting a lipo powered mamba 4600 and havent had any troubles.

try not to use the top top settings on the comp and you should be fine

as for over heating could be due to your gearing or the fact (as above) that you are running the esc to hard via the comp settings.

if you want to go fast get a 5700 and a 3s lipo if your just bashing tune them down a bit and have a play with the graphs
vpmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK, im not using the top top settings anyway.

disabled punch control (default)
low start power (defualt)
lowest motor timing

im also grabbing a balancer this week, ill test the lipo out after that because now i have also noticed a slight decrease in runtime. But also each time i charge it, the max capacity after each charge is getting lower and lower, so i would say for certain that my orion 3200 needs a balance!!
Drift Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
OK, im not using the top top settings anyway.

disabled punch control (default)
low start power (defualt)
lowest motor timing

im also grabbing a balancer this week, ill test the lipo out after that because now i have also noticed a slight decrease in runtime. But also each time i charge it, the max capacity after each charge is getting lower and lower, so i would say for certain that my orion 3200 needs a balance!!
Do you have a multimeter available?
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #21
Tech Regular

no i dont have a multimeter, but i can get a hold of one. I was just going to charge each cell within the pack individually using this method and see if the problem still presists afterwards...
Old 08-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3fly View Post
Per Castle tech support, it is very safe to shorten the wires on on Mamba motor. The cauthion is really more for other BL motors where you might cut into the sensitive parts of the motor wire.
Ok so the 6900 is perfectly safe to cut wires on then?
J-3 Brushless Cub
platinumjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Ok, I charged each cell in my orion 3200 individually using the method described on their website.

Charged @ 1C (3.2A) 3.7V
They both peaked at the same capacity, but cell one took just over 70mins whereas cell two took just under 80mins to charge. Now after seeing both cells voltages at the start of the charge, because i charged from empty, i didnt get down what volts the cells started the charge at (which i should've) but i did notice that cell two had started off with a few more volts then cell one did.

If after this method the problem still persists, then ill have no choice but to grab a voltmeter. I will keep you guys posted when i run the pack!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:08 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Just took it for a run and its doing the same thing still. But Im fairly certain i know exactly what it is. When it started to stutter & cut out, i bought it inside and watched the mamba max esc leds. When I full throttled it, the green led lit as well as the orange led lit, but the orange light led was flashing, i think this means its getting near cut-off.

Now, in my first post I should've said i run a Spektrum DX2.0 with it. whenever i used the steering servo, you could here the motor getting lower during full throttle, meaning to say that there's not enough volts to run both steering and throttle at the same time near cut-off.

I will try a cap plugged in to the rx for my next run and im really hoping this will eliminate the problem. The cap i currently have is a novak glitch buster cap, is this cap alright to use with the spektrum rx??
Old 09-01-2007, 12:43 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Ok, I charged each cell in my orion 3200 individually using the method described on their website.

Charged @ 1C (3.2A) 3.7V
They both peaked at the same capacity, but cell one took just over 70mins whereas cell two took just under 80mins to charge. Now after seeing both cells voltages at the start of the charge, because i charged from empty, i didnt get down what volts the cells started the charge at (which i should've) but i did notice that cell two had started off with a few more volts then cell one did.

If after this method the problem still persists, then ill have no choice but to grab a voltmeter. I will keep you guys posted when i run the pack!
where did you find thos methods i just got 2 3200's and i tihnk they need to be balanced
C_Suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:33 AM   #26
Tech Regular

http://www.teamorion.com/FAQ/Balancing+LiPo
Old 09-01-2007, 05:42 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Try a gearing change too. in the case of the 5700, try to gear it as you would a 8-9T modified motor for your particular track. The beauty of the mamba's is that they have a extrmemly wide powerband letting you gear almost any ratio, but its curse in that if you are overgeared it will produce alot of heat, pull lots of amperage and can go below the lipo cut out even if fully charged causing cogging. Alot of the time you can get rid of cogging just by throwing a smaller pinion, say 3-4 tooth then your running now. I use orion, and maxapms lipo's and have never had any issues with the packs, even using the stock mamba motors connectors.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I was running the green losi spur (think its 88) with a 15t pinion and I get the cogging bad to the point where it wont move at all and I almost have to kick it forward to get it rolling again and the motor an esc is hot. I set motor timing to the lowest and it seems better but its still doing it. Would a 12 or 13t pinion possibly clear this up? Just seems awful small.
J-3 Brushless Cub
platinumjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Well, ive tried the novak glitch buster with the mamba max, and i also have a vortex 7.5. Its still doing the same thing near cut-off. I dont know what to do now, i've balanced the pack, and i know for sure its not the vortex. What do you guys suggest i do now?

Do you think the mamba needs a higher lipo say a 5000 @ 20C which is 100amps whereas the 3200 @ 20C is only 64amps? Or could i have a dud lipo??