R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #91
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JevUK View Post
If stock is all you are going run to then the 3200mah pack is not a bad buy. But on a long term basis I would still prefer the 4800 over it, unless it doesn't fit into one of your cars.

Even if the packs are being cycled well below their maximum, C rating will affect life span. 3200mah may keep over 95% performance for 200 cycles but the 4800mah may keep 95% for 300 when charge and discharge at the same rate. This figures are just an example.

No arguing here, just sharing the varied experience I've had with lipo's.

I think a subject worth starting a new topic on would be the future rules and regs regarding lipos. If clubs keep coming up with their own varied rules it's going to cause all sorts of confusion and upset amongst the average racer who wants say good by to crap nimh's.

I know it's far fetched but I think a testing board would be good, so that only lipos that have had random samples tested are certified for sanctioned race meetings.
One thing to take into account with the Orions is the 4800s are 15C and the 3200s are 20C. So 72A for the platinums and 64A for the carbon. Not a huge diference.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #92
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The heavier cell has a lower constant C rating? How (why) is that? The lighter pack with lower mah has a higher C rating, interesting. You know what though, with all of lipos lightness, tracks still require cars to be weighed down....aint that a bitch?!?

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #93
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
The heavier cell has a lower constant C rating? How (why) is that? The lighter pack with lower mah has a higher C rating, interesting. You know what though, with all of lipos lightness, tracks still require cars to be weighed down....aint that a bitch?!?
the platinums are 2S2P so they are using 2400 mAh cells. The carbon is 2S1P so it's using 3200 mAh cells. The reason they are 15C is unknown to me but it was confirmed by MrBlack of Orion at one point.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
[B]

This is what started it all. I had made many posts before HE chimed in. Thats when it got personal. Had he read what I posted many times before he even got in the room, he would have kept his comments to himself.
If your comments were close to accurate, I never would have said anything to you at all. You have a right to your opinion, but if you're going to make statements like they're a fact, people are going to correct you. After which, as usual, I expect you will commence with name-calling in earnest.

As for "clowning" about the shorted ESC...good luck. It wouldn't be the first time I did something wrong, but in this case it had nothing to do with my actions. Regardless, the Orion pack DID save the car when the fuse blew.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #95
Tech Master

Interesting. I never analyzed the 3200 to the 4800 side by side, always stacked the 4800 against others in that range. When I looked at the 3200, the only thing that deterred me was its "incompatibilty" with MRC chargers.

Turbo, leave it alone already. We have moved passed it, joined the movement. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #96
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
You know what though, with all of lipos lightness, tracks still require cars to be weighed down....aint that a bitch?!?
Yes that sucks. It can be interesting for find room to stack all that weight.
g_mabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #97
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_mabry View Post
Yes that sucks. It can be interesting for find room to stack all that weight.

huh?

Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #98
Tech Elite

Quote:
Interesting. I never analyzed the 3200 to the 4800 side by side, always stacked the 4800 against others in that range. When I looked at the 3200, the only thing that deterred me was its "incompatibilty" with MRC chargers.

Turbo, leave it alone already. We have moved passed it, joined the movement. Thanks.
Wow...bxpitbull...the "Miss Manners" of RCtech.

I read these from the top down, so I didn't get the memo until later down the page.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:39 AM   #99
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Wow...bxpitbull...the "Miss Manners" of RCtech.

I read these from the top down, so I didn't get the memo until later down the page.
Got to go out with a sideswipe. In the interest of "peace", I'll let that slide. My fingers would gouge my own eyes out if I started this foolishness with you....again.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:18 AM   #100
Tech Elite

I would have thought someone of your superior intellect would surely recognize the irony here.

Gotta go...we're heading out the door for Maui. Enjoy.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 08-28-2007 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:52 AM   #101
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
I would have thought someone of your superior intellect would surely recognize the irony here.

Gotta go...we're heading out the door for Maui. Enjoy.
Maui..been there, done that and bought the ugly hawaiian shirts. Aloha and watch out for the tiger sharks while your boogie-boarding..hows that for irony???

Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 AM   #102
Tech Rookie

If you do not need the 20c capabilities, I think you should try the Common Sense RC 4400 mah 10c pack. Often times people think a higher C cell is better even though they do not use the extra capabilites. The truth is these cells are top quality, just with a lower C rating. We have tested them extensively and they are guaranteed to perform as stated. We pride ourselves in top customer service.

Thanks,
Common Sense RC
Common Sense RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #103
Tech Master

Hey Common, not going to hate, at all. Just want to know, if one is running high amp draw applications such as the Novak 4.5, the 10c rating, wouldnt that generate more heat, increasing the chance of thermal shut down or pack failure...or worse I like the dimensions, slightly smaller than my Maxamps pack, which may enable me to get it in my Pro3. If thats the case, i will run than car with a 8.5SS, lets talk

Last edited by bxpitbull; 08-28-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:02 AM   #104
Tech Rookie

bitbull - The heat all depends on the amps being drawn.. What sorta amps are you pulling? If the 10C rating of the pack will allow your max amperage, there is no real benefit to a 20C pack.. Actually, you'd have a pack that would last longer, if treated correctly.. 10C packs tend to have a longer life than 20C packs..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tramsootru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #105
Tech Master

Well, I was looking to run the pack in my Pro3. Not the tub flex monster, but the hopped up version. I have several Maxamps 6000 packs that are a gnats hair too long and a mouse whisker too wide. I have a GTB with a 4.5 and sintered rotor installed. I am considering making this my mild modified car, opting for the SS 8.5. Will your 10C packs suit my needs? What are the size dimensions compared to Maxamps 6000? Theirs is 44m x 137m x 23m

Last edited by bxpitbull; 09-05-2007 at 12:17 PM.