R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I think you'll find that in the airplane/heli world, Common Sense RC has a better reputation than MaxAmps. Assuming they're not as good because you've not familiar with them is juvenile.
And good for them, providing a hard case for their LiPo and trying to be proactive about it.

I have heard of them, but for on-road applications, they are breaking ground. Who are you referring to? Half of the remarks on here are juvenile type remarks.

I've read that the C rating isn't the one true way to judge a cell, and that there are many other factors. If other people at your track are running these with some success, I'd say go for it.

You know damn well C rating is important. The reason people say Kokam are the best, not Kokam in the Orion packaging either, is because of their C ratings. C'mon, you slipped and bumped your head on this one. People knock Maxamps because they claim they dont hold up to their C ratings. NOW you say that you have read that C ratings arent important? Which is it?

For the money, I'd go with Orion for the safety/quality of their cells, and the less intrusive balancing connector.
\

Just because something comes in a hard case doesnt make it the best. Granted, casing makes it safer from punctures, but last I checked, cars have bumpers. Is this on road racing or robot wars? People need to stop acting like these cells are radioactive materials, charge with caution and have fun. FOR THE MONEY, based on the C-ratings, I wouldve gone Maxamps or added a few more sheckles to get Orion. Forget what other people are running, be an individual. Set the example.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
\

Just because something comes in a hard case doesnt make it the best. Granted, casing makes it safer from punctures, but last I checked, cars have bumpers. Is this on road racing or robot wars? People need to stop acting like these cells are radioactive materials, charge with caution and have fun. FOR THE MONEY, based on the C-ratings, I wouldve gone Maxamps or added a few more sheckles to get Orion. Forget what other people are running, be an individual. Set the example.
I've personally settled on Orion not just because of the hard case but for many other reasons most seem to ignore. Most of the reasons involve Orion's transparency regarding their packs. No guesswork as to what you are running, just look up Kokam cells - their logo is on the pack. The problem I have with others is there is a trust me they are fine attitude about them. I trust myself to do the proper research on them and if I can't get enough info to inform myself, I won't touch them.

Whether Maxamps, Schumacher, etc - I'll pass them by if they won't disclose then basic info.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 PM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
\

I bet you $5 MaxAmps has a higher percentage of markup on their cells than companies selling the higher quality cells. It's cheaper because they're cheap, not MaxAmps is your best friend and trying to cut you a great deal. It's an important distinction.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:44 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post

So I got home was looking at my car and thinking of mounting options. THEN I was not paying attention to the banana plug from my ESC. The banana plug touched the balancing plug socket and POOF. SMOKE!!! I am so pi$$ed at myself. This was not a LIPO blowing up issue. So I just wasted $100. Someone shoot me!

That really, really sucks. I suppose we know now why nobody else makes a battery connector that's "flush" and contains positive and negative in a small space. I'd probably have to consider that a design flaw. I'd let CSRC know about it in their forum and see what they say, they may agree.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #20
Tech Master

Um, no. Let me get this right, you guys want to know more than what they already provide information wise??? That makes no sense. What else do you want to know? Any company that offers a three year warranty on their products has my vote. I like Orion, they just dont offer more than 4800 and the mark-up is for the casing, period. Even if their mark-up is more than $5, thats cool by me....I dont see myself assembling a lipo pack any time soon. Again, the casing is Orion provides is great, never once will you hear me knock it. Kokam cells are outstanding. BUT, I have had my share of t-bones, car smacking the wall and you know I have said this before, my car got run over by a real car. If my car didnt go BOOM from that, then Maxamps gets my vote. Orion is more reputable in R/C circles, but, give props where props are due. And Syndrome, do you really want me to come to Kansas and smack you in the mouth?Just joking, dont want you people coming over here flaming and getting out of line.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
\

Totally agree with you. I've crashed many planes nose first crushing my lipo packs making it 3/4 it's original size. No explosions, no fires, no smoke. The number one reason 99% of the time lipo catches on fire is because USER error when they are charging. Just be extra careful when using multi function chargers. I personally would not use those types of charger on a lipo. To many variables to remember. Get a lipo only balance charger like the FMA Direct Cellpro. This charger is plug and play, no settings and fully automatic. By far the safest charger on the market. Sorry if I'm sounding like a commercial, but I've been using this charger fsince it first came out and it's just fantastic.

If some really wants a hard case lipo. Just go to the local hobbyshop and grab yourself some thick carbonfiber sheets and make it like an ice cream sandwich and wrap it with some clear shrink wrap. Much better option in my opinion and have a lot more lipo packs to choose from.
zake540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #22
Tech Master

Thank you zake, finally someone agrees with me. I have stressed time and again, somebody has taken me to the wall and my packs have held true. When my car run over, I just knew it was going to be "Pro4 flam-ba"<----I dont speak french. I say yes, err on the side of caution, use the proper charger and the correct cycle rate in charging. Ensure no metal to metal contact occurs and drive on. I think of when I raced a Traxxas 4 tech with a 3.3 heads up down a 300 ft straight. To avoid him beating me to the finish line, I swerved in front of him, thinking he would slow down. He didnt. Went through my car and knocked the pack clear from the car. No flames. I can think of many times of me driving like that crazy lil white kid with the go-kart from Geico commercials with no flames,"He gets near me, I'm putting him to the wall"...no flames.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Quote:
I like Orion, they just dont offer more than 4800 and the mark-up is for the casing, period.
And I was beginning to have faith in you. :-(
Old 08-24-2007, 10:26 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The internal fuse on the Orion packs is WAY worth the price.

It 100% saved my Lazer from going up in flames. I had a badly shorted ESC, it went "nuclear" and the fuse blew in the pack and saved the car. Smoke was pouring out of it...the tub got scorched, the body got bubbled out, the reciever was a little melted...the fuse blew and it all stopped in its tracks. The battery "took one for the team" and bit the dust, but it saved the car.

The pack wasn't even puffed...and the short was bad enough that the plastic on the end of the battery case was melted. It could have probably been salvaged and used again...it would have been at least as good as some Ebay pack.

No NiMh and no Ebay LiPo has *that* feature.

You cello-wrapped LiPo guys can talk all the smack you want about the extra you pay for the "plastic shell" and you can try and make your own...but there's more to it than just the shell. They last longer AND they're fail-safe.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:33 PM   #25
Tech Lord

I race with a guy whose GTB did the same thing, and the fuse in his Carbon pack popped and stopped the whole thing before it got out of control. The pack was fine (aside from the fuse) but the GTB was toast.

It's been mentioned here that Kokam cells can easily cost 3-4x as much as their cheap Chinese counterparts, wholesale. So, again, who's your friend? The guy buying cheap ass cells from China and selling them at 75% markup, or the guys bringing in the best, safest cells possible and selling them at a much lower markup to keep the costs fairly reasonable?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Mine was a Platinum...LOL...ouch...

But yeah...what he said.

I blew the fuse in a Carbon pack hooking up the wires backwards (my bad ). I pulled it apart (figured "what the hell?") and it's like an automotive fuse link. There's a bunch of it in there (probably .5-.75 inches) all accordioned in there and it had just melted at the board. I pulled out some of the slack and soldered it back to the board and it's worked just fine for a few months since.

Quote:
I race with a guy whose GTB did the same thing, and the fuse in his Carbon pack popped and stopped the whole thing before it got out of control. The pack was fine (aside from the fuse) but the GTB was toast.

It's been mentioned here that Kokam cells can easily cost 3-4x as much as their cheap Chinese counterparts, wholesale. So, again, who's your friend? The guy buying cheap ass cells from China and selling them at 75% markup, or the guys bringing in the best, safest cells possible and selling them at a much lower markup to keep the costs fairly reasonable?
Old 08-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:

You do realize Kokam cells are Korean? Not the much of a difference in stuff coming from Asia. Can you say Hyundai, Kia...DAEWOO

Old 08-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
You do realize Kokam cells are Korean? Not the much of a difference in stuff coming from Asia. Can you say Hyundai, Kia...DAEWOO
I know that it's all "from Asia" and that all them asians are all the same......except that in this case, the Korean stuff (Kokam) is the best stuff you can get and the rest are just following behind.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #29
Tech Master

Turbo, you're joking right. If you dont have the common sense to check for shorts on your gear and want to rely on a battery not to catch flames and save your gear, you already lost. If one doesnt check polarity with any type of cells, they are already LOST. Like I said, Maxamps for the money is just as good. Hard casing is a definite plus, but how come none of you have yet to comment on my DIRECT IMPACT CRASHES AND NO BOOMS? Why havent any of you said anything about zack's nose end crashes? For all of the folks that are running MaxAmps packs, why havent I heard of ONE going up in flames? Bashers, more than racers use them and they abuse those packs more than any side swipe or head on to the boards you can get in on road racing, so why havent any of them listed r/c inferno threads yet??????

Old 08-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Ummmyeah..."check for shorts".

I raise a significant safety advantage of the Orion packs and you start building a straw man. Nice one. I see why you have to constantly threaten people...LOL