R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #76
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for reply.

MattW, yes that was what i heard, but i have to do some lap timming to see the diference.

Holmenkollen, isnīt the sensor only for start position, to the speed control know where to apply the current, to wich fase?
Nuno Gancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #77
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Martin Hofer

1) gap has to be closed as otherwise dirt can come in and can cause the esc to fail. it will work again if you have cleaned it but can spoil you a run. Lexan should work.

2) delta winding feels different and the steps are not that big, there will be a 6T Delta coming out having even more power than the 3,5T. The 7T is the middle between 4T and 3,5T star.

Do NOT use a delta wound motor with an lrp esc as it is not capable of runing those.

3) timing with lrp escs: you HAVE TO set the timing so that the b-mark is in the middle of the c solder tab, as the lrp esc has approx 30° more internal timing than the gm escs.

4) and right, if you don't use a sensorcable the timing on the motor does not matter at all. you can just turn it like you want it. i prefer b to b as it looks best :-) just my personal preference

5) GM vs Novak

I do not really know the novak system / motors, but the gm is pretty much the most powerfull system that is out right now. It is designed to have the best efficiency and power output.

wow hope that was all ment to be answered.
Cheers
Martin
Xenon Racing
Tonisport
Martin Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #78
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to afonsospt

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonsospt View Post
Hi,

I have Gm Genius95 and evo3 4,5T motor.
Im not sure about lipo cutoff.I think it cuts at 57/80 of the initial charge,which gives aprox 6,0v if I start with a 100% full pack.
My concern is it safe to use a 80-85% charge lipo pack and have cutoff at 6v?or safe cutoff is only for a full charge pack?
Thanks
I have to quote myself
Anyone know if its safe to use non full charged lipos with genius95?
afonsospt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #79
Tech Master

I cannot comment onto the lipo question, therefor you should ask Ralf Helbing in the gm-racing.com forum. He will answer all your questions.

But except of Lipo questions you can ask me anything you want
Xenon Racing
Tonisport
Old 10-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #80
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to afonsospt

Ok I will.Thank you
afonsospt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #81
PDM
Tech Adept

I believe that is one thing (probably the only) on the minus side of the GM. I had a Genius 80 and I never "believed" in the Genius to the point of letting it cut with an empty lipo.

I think that there are small chances that you use a lipo with less that 8,4v, but if you do there is a big risk of ruin it.

I am using a esc of another maker now where I can choose the volts I want it to cut the motor, Gm should make it that way.
PDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #82
Tech Master

I'm sure ralf thought about that when he made the program. Just ask him.
Xenon Racing
Tonisport
Old 10-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #83
Tech Regular

Must the capacitors be soldered directly to the ESC or can I use a cable between? Seen several teamdrivers use cables instead.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #84
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hofer View Post

5) GM vs Novak

I do not really know the novak system / motors, but the gm is pretty much the most powerfull system that is out right now. It is designed to have the best efficiency and power output.

wow hope that was all ment to be answered.
Cheers
Martin
This is the best post I have read yet.....thanks for all the info

This is the best sales pitch ever....do you sell used cars too? You guys should use that tag line in all your national media ads....j/k
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #85
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Martin, i think we've had some of the 7 turns through in the UK, and in this case they will have been run with LRP ESC (as obviously we couldn't get GM). What is the problem with this as far as you're aware??

I haven't got a 7 turn personally, only 3.5 and 4, so it's not an issue that i've faced, although i did plan on getting a 7.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #86
Tech Master

the problem of the delta wound motors is that they do have even more timing due to their winding type. this makes the esc even hotter as you cannot take away that much timing. it may work but will not be too gentle to the esc :-)

you can try connecting the caps with a cable. used it for quite a while that way.
if you notice cogging the wire has too long or too thin (i used 2,5mmē cable)
Xenon Racing
Tonisport
Old 10-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #87
Tech Master

regarding the LIPO CUTOFF:

if you want to use 2s lipos use modus 1 and set maxreverse to 100 (which is the lipo cutoff as in modus 1 there is no reverse function). Then you won't have any trouble with cutoff voltage
Xenon Racing
Tonisport
Old 10-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #88
Tech Initiate

With 2 LiPos there should be never a problem with good balanced LiPos.
I use 3 LiPos with MAXREVERSE = 100 for LiPo Cut-off in a 1/8 scale Monster.
The power is similar to a gaz engine.
It's no problem, if the battery is 80-85% charged. It may be only a problem if you connect a completely empty 3S1P battery.

Compare the power and efficiency yourselve.
GM-Racing brushless is the only one running 4cells 1/12 without receiver pack and finished 2nd at the Euros.
If you also look at the video Euros 2006 and German nationals 2007 you see the power difference. Marc Fischer was running GP batteries and still did have more power as the others with Intellect. Same as Chris Grainger in Great Britain.
All runing without sensors.
The power advantage can only be seen on big tracks, when runtime and power is important.
On small and medium tracks the tyres can't use the power advantage and run time is no problem at all.
habicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:41 AM   #89
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to mark34 Send a message via Yahoo to mark34

Has anyone got one of the GM 100's into a Tamiya MRE, bit late to worry about it now as I have ordered it anyway any pics would be appreciated.
TIA