R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #586
Tech Initiate

Hi

im here just to tell you this, a few months ago i asked about using Lipo and GM Pro 6T Delta, and Martin told me to use 7T and if i want to use 6T to be very carefull with it.
Now i can tell you that on the first round of the Portuguese National Championship my son used a GM Genius 120 + GM Pro 6T Delta + Lipo and he finished in 2nd place overall on its first appearance on modified class.
So you can use Lipo and 6T Delta with no problems, even if says on specifications that it should be used between 4,8...6V

Here you can see a video of my son winning the 3rd final with that configuration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjmcP0Coe6Q
jopor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #587
Tech Adept

Hi you all,

I just would like to react on Jopor latest post.
Jopor told us "So you can use Lipo and 6T Delta with no problems, even if says on specifications that it should be used between 4,8...6V"
Using this configuration sounds to be ok IF AND ONLY you race on such very large track.
According to the linked video, the track sounds designed for Gas cars and I'm sure it's the ideal track for 1/8 Onroad GP.
So, to my humble opinion, Jopor should not openely certify there's no problem at all using Lipo/6t Delta as it might be ok only for this very particular case.

Large track doesn't request the same brake stress for the motor than the narrow/small track on which the motor has to support a lot more of acceleration/brake stressful phases, and gets more heat by consequences.

So Martin's and the GM's specs would be highly considered if you don't want to meet any unreversible issues.

Once again, it's only my personal feeling but I'm quite sure people around will share this.

Keep it up.
Slide
Old 04-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #588
MSB
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to MSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideaway View Post
Hi you all,

I just would like to react on Jopor latest post.
Jopor told us "So you can use Lipo and 6T Delta with no problems, even if says on specifications that it should be used between 4,8...6V"
Using this configuration sounds to be ok IF AND ONLY you race on such very large track.
According to the linked video, the track sounds designed for Gas cars and I'm sure it's the ideal track for 1/8 Onroad GP.
So, to my humble opinion, Jopor should not openely certify there's no problem at all using Lipo/6t Delta as it might be ok only for this very particular case.

Large track doesn't request the same brake stress for the motor than the narrow/small track on which the motor has to support a lot more of acceleration/brake stressful phases, and gets more heat by consequences.

So Martin's and the GM's specs would be highly considered if you don't want to meet any unreversible issues.

Once again, it's only my personal feeling but I'm quite sure people around will share this.

Keep it up.
Slide
I totally agree!
Old 04-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #589
Tech Regular

Hi Martin

Need some help. I have a GM120. It was great indoor with a 10.5T. I connected to my laptop and changed it from mode 7 to mode 1 to run a 3.5T mod on 5 cell outdoor. when I went out to practice the speedo had no punch or top end it was like the cells were flat but they weren't, I even changed motor just incase!!! I tried several other modes but all the same. I reloaded the saved setting I ran on the 10.5 but again the same. Any ideas??

I fitted a spare 120 and changed that to the saved 10.5 from my laptop and it's perfect!!!

Thanks

Alan
Old 04-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #590
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1467 View Post
Hi Martin

Need some help. I have a GM120. It was great indoor with a 10.5T. I connected to my laptop and changed it from mode 7 to mode 1 to run a 3.5T mod on 5 cell outdoor. when I went out to practice the speedo had no punch or top end it was like the cells were flat but they weren't, I even changed motor just incase!!! I tried several other modes but all the same. I reloaded the saved setting I ran on the 10.5 but again the same. Any ideas??

I fitted a spare 120 and changed that to the saved 10.5 from my laptop and it's perfect!!!

Thanks

Alan
Did you try reset to factory settings?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #591
Tech Regular

No how do you do that?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #592
Tech Regular

Just after programmin TX ways/choosing mode with transmitter please push the button on ESC, one longer beep after programmed mode indication says you've done it. Read manual Do not change modes with PC as its interacts with preset data.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #593
Tech Initiate

Hello! Sorry for my bad english

New here in this forum and one year old in rc-racing.

I need some help pleace!

I need a new motor and have locking at GM motors sport 9,5T blue (6552), and DR.Speed 9,5T (97266) and the pink 9,5T (97289). I dont know witch one to chose. I have an Associatede B4 and uses 2s intellect lipo, 5000 mah with an Mamba Sidewinder esc.

I will do some races with the new motor. I did some races with an Orion Vortex 5.5T, 5cell nimh, indoor and will soon do my first outdoor race ever.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks// Thomas

Edit: Wrong forum. Sorry. Didnt se it was on road. Maby get some answers anyway!
Tajpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #594
Tech Regular

Martin,

Can the new GM Genius 90 (120's smaller brother) handle a 6t delta? Or is a 7t delta better for it?

Thanks in advance

Steven
steveonamission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #595
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Steve, based on what i've been told, yes 90 should be ok with 6T. 120's are in stock over here now as well. Mine should be here any time!
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #596
Tech Regular

Ok cheers Matt
steveonamission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #597
Tech Initiate

Just a question for Slideaway

id like to know your opinion about worlds track layout?
is it stressfull for motor?

meanwhile its time for the electric guys to think that the tracks used for touring were done for less power motors (like 27T).
Today you can run on gas tracks as you say, because now you have motor for that and have no problem with runtime as well,

cheers
jopor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:49 AM   #598
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Martin Hofer

Right we do have the power to keep up with Nitro cars ...

we actually can go faster

but we are very close to the limit of ESCs/batteries/motors

and the limit is greatly influenced by the Voltage

So even though it might work with Lipo and 6T delta I still have to warn you that this is beyond the "save operating area"
Which means if you blow up the esc you will most likely not have any warrianty left

there are enough drivers here in germany using a 4T or 7T delta with 5 cells and it'S fast enough ... and easy on the electronics
so I cannot understand why a 7T delta with LIPO would not be fast enough ...
Xenon Racing
Tonisport
Martin Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:21 AM   #599
Tech Regular

It's a pity that GM does not support higher voltages with their motors and esc, 3S and 4S will come to our cars sooner than we think. Lucky that ESC already work on 3S Lipo/ 4S LiFe, but still not enough number of motors.
BTW, Martin, do you know what is with GM forum?
Old 04-23-2009, 05:23 AM   #600
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopor View Post
Just a question for Slideaway

id like to know your opinion about worlds track layout?
is it stressfull for motor?

meanwhile its time for the electric guys to think that the tracks used for touring were done for less power motors (like 27T).
Today you can run on gas tracks as you say, because now you have motor for that and have no problem with runtime as well,

cheers
Hi Jopor,
I'm not sure which worlds track are we talking about. If you mean the last ISTC Worlds track in Bangkok Thailand so yes, this track was actually very stressful for modified class. Not so long straight line and many rythm changes in the corners section.
At that time, the IFMAR rule was to use 6 cells SUB-C only. So mostly, the modified class drivers used 4.0t or 4.5t with a secured ratio.
Combined with the air and track temperatures, it was really like hell. Some motors could reach 110C after 5 min. The limits were reached and beyond sometimes.

Slide