R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #2356
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 217
Default

I thought people complaining about the brakes on this controller was a thing of the past. Is your controller running firmware 13.+?

I really can't agree this controller lacks brakes. Anything above 94% full on mine and it just locks too much and pushes wide. And that's very high grip carpet. Anyone struggling with lack of brakes has missed something. Either current limiting, too longer soft brake delay, there is always some reason. You can even make the brakes feel like the on/off switch that the tekins are like. I don't think the controller is motor fussy either as i've run LRP's, GM's, a Corally, a losi, a Speed passion and hobbywing on it without any problems. Only motor i have seen with weak brakes are the X11 on a friends with firmware 12.4. I believe newer firmware solves that too!

Over heating motors on this controller i have seen before and its always due to too lower gearing or too higher fdr ratio, over reving the motors. Almost all the other timing advancing speedos wait until rpm's reach a certain limit then chuck their timing in(you can if you want set the GM to do this too). This does keep the motor cool but you will lose the smoothness and it can be difficult getting out of corners quickly. You also see people running very low gearing/ high ratios to get this timing to kick in sooner. What the GM does(if set up to) is progressively put in timing as you add throttle. This means you are running more timing more of the time if you're running low gearing because you are using more throttle/timing. If you gear up on this controller(lower ratio) quite often you see temperature come down and speed increase.

If you believe the tekin is better then something has been missed. The GM can do everything it can do but the tekin doesn't have half the features of the GM.
YZFAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #2357
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 678
Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFAndy View Post
I thought people complaining about the brakes on this controller was a thing of the past. Is your controller running firmware 13.+?

I really can't agree this controller lacks brakes. Anything above 94% full on mine and it just locks too much and pushes wide. And that's very high grip carpet. Anyone struggling with lack of brakes has missed something. Either current limiting, too longer soft brake delay, there is always some reason. You can even make the brakes feel like the on/off switch that the tekins are like. I don't think the controller is motor fussy either as i've run LRP's, GM's, a Corally, a losi, a Speed passion and hobbywing on it without any problems. Only motor i have seen with weak brakes are the X11 on a friends with firmware 12.4. I believe newer firmware solves that too!

Over heating motors on this controller i have seen before and its always due to too lower gearing or too higher fdr ratio, over reving the motors. Almost all the other timing advancing speedos wait until rpm's reach a certain limit then chuck their timing in(you can if you want set the GM to do this too). This does keep the motor cool but you will lose the smoothness and it can be difficult getting out of corners quickly. You also see people running very low gearing/ high ratios to get this timing to kick in sooner. What the GM does(if set up to) is progressively put in timing as you add throttle. This means you are running more timing more of the time if you're running low gearing because you are using more throttle/timing. If you gear up on this controller(lower ratio) quite often you see temperature come down and speed increase.

If you believe the tekin is better then something has been missed. The GM can do everything it can do but the tekin doesn't have half the features of the GM.
I'm running 13.1

to be fair it has become quite a common problem

as said before, I have played with fdr ranges with 17.5 motors from 4-7. My current running fdr that I have found to be ideal is 5.1, but on a warm day it is impossible to even run mode 8 let alone mode 9.

anyway, they are going in my offroad cars permanently
captain stacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #2358
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain stacker View Post
It on a warm day it is impossible to even run mode 8 let alone mode 9.
Mode 8 has 20 degrees timing mode 9 25 and with that much your motor should be hot. Timing is timing whether its put in from a tekin or GM. If the Tekin runs cooler its because its putting in less timing.

Other thing to mention is the tekin will like more fixed timing on the motor than the GM will.
YZFAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #2359
Tech Addict
 
hana166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 677
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain stacker View Post
As far as onroad goes, my GM is dead. The brakes are crap! I am speaking from someone who has been using GM for 2 years, so I know pretty much the ins and outs with this speedy.
trol I have ever used. But onroad, brakes are not efficient, motors are running hot.
I bet you don't know the ins and outs. Enjoy your Tekin.
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #2360
Tech Regular
 
ghiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 315
Send a message via Skype™ to ghiro
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana166 View Post
I bet you don't know the ins and outs. Enjoy your Tekin.
+1
I like my Tekin ,but i wouldn't compare it to a GM . . .
__________________
Capricorn TE01-Associated RC10R5.1-Atomic VM2-Serpent Cobra811 BE-Honcho-Losi MRC/RcBros-SandScorcher-MERV
DJI' F550-HubsanX4-Toy'sPort Zorro
ghiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #2361
Tech Addict
 
John_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 724
Default

If you are having problems like this then you are settings somethng incorrectly, as the gm is far more efficient at adding timing than the tekin is. Brakes are also a non issue as I, like others have no problems locking the brakes up. It would also be more effective for you to ask for settings or post your settings for us to look at rather than just coming on and complaining. What surface are you racing on? What is the ambient temperature? How big is the track? all useful information for us to know if we are to help you
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #2362
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 678
Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default

well I have been running the GM, along with the tekin, and lrp, and all I know is the tekin runs the motor the coolest, has the quickest top end, and they all have pretty much the same grunt out of a corner. While it feels good to have a speed control that no one uses, I'm not wasting anymore time on it, in onroad at least.
captain stacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #2363
Tech Adept
 
housey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 232
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain stacker View Post
well I have been running the GM, along with the tekin, and lrp, and all I know is the tekin runs the motor the coolest, has the quickest top end, and they all have pretty much the same grunt out of a corner. While it feels good to have a speed control that no one uses, I'm not wasting anymore time on it, in onroad at least.
Enjoy your on/off switch. Every Tekin I've driven has been horrid. Never wanted for more top end with my GM and no one has ever had me on the straight, especially with a Tekin.

Why come on the GM thread to bash? We don't want it. People here have tried to help, if you don't like your GM then jog on to the Tekin thread and stay there.
__________________
Chris Swallow - Team Yokomo - GM Racing - Ko Propo

Donny Racing - http://donnyracing.yolasite.com/forum.php

Poweeeeerrrrr!
housey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #2364
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 678
Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default

not bash, its an open forum and I'm sure manufacturers look in here once in a while for feedback.

so GM, what you need is more brakes, cooler motor operating temps
captain stacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #2365
Tech Adept
 
housey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 232
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain stacker View Post
not bash, its an open forum and I'm sure manufacturers look in here once in a while for feedback.

so GM, what you need is more brakes, cooler motor operating temps
Well I'm sorry you don't like your GM but I don't see anyone else complaining about bad brakes? Are you meaning not enough drag or not enough at full brakes? What are your transmitter readings on the telemetry?

I've seen that my mates who run Tekin do have lower temps, but then I hated the way their speedo's felt. I just run a massive 40mm fan like Martin suggests, works well. Like it was said before, the higher temps are the price you pay for the feel of the speedo in the way it adds the timing. I'll take the temps cos its not an issue, still within limits and the speedo has really nice throttle feel.

I believe it was Martin that said if you aren't getting close to temp limits then you aren't pushing your gear enough and therefore you aren't going as fast as you could be. So I don't see low temps as such a great thing tbh.
__________________
Chris Swallow - Team Yokomo - GM Racing - Ko Propo

Donny Racing - http://donnyracing.yolasite.com/forum.php

Poweeeeerrrrr!
housey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #2366
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Poland, Warsaw
Posts: 775
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Anyone has GM 150V2 with 1/8 engine?
__________________
Michal Abramowicz
http://abram.eu.org/gear_tc6.php
My setups there -> http://www.rc-setups.com
TC6!, TC5R, 12L4, 12R5.1, 10L2, 10R5, RC8T_CE_EL custom F1 chassis
http://www.wgtshop.com/
M.Abramowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #2367
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: AUSTRIA
Posts: 233
Send a message via ICQ to vitomon Send a message via Skype™ to vitomon
Default proper gearing

hi guys, i will be using a GM 90 v13.0 for the next race meeting. i'll be running with a LRP X11 13.5T motor on a medium sized carpet indoor track. do you have any pointers as for gearing that thing. dont wanna cook the motor or the speedo at my first try i will install the file martin posted now a few pages back and go from there, but there was no gearing information given.
any help is appreciated!!

thx guys

cheers
vito
vitomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #2368
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Poland, Warsaw
Posts: 775
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitomon View Post
hi guys, i will be using a GM 90 v13.0 for the next race meeting. i'll be running with a LRP X11 13.5T

Try from total FDR = 6.0 and check temp after 2-3 min of run, then after 4min,
if on can under 80C then you are on safe side.



It is really easy to cook engine, but probably it is possible to use
external NTC thermistor 10kOhm.



m.
__________________
Michal Abramowicz
http://abram.eu.org/gear_tc6.php
My setups there -> http://www.rc-setups.com
TC6!, TC5R, 12L4, 12R5.1, 10L2, 10R5, RC8T_CE_EL custom F1 chassis
http://www.wgtshop.com/
M.Abramowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #2369
Tech Adept
 
housey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 232
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitomon View Post
hi guys, i will be using a GM 90 v13.0 for the next race meeting. i'll be running with a LRP X11 13.5T motor on a medium sized carpet indoor track. do you have any pointers as for gearing that thing. dont wanna cook the motor or the speedo at my first try i will install the file martin posted now a few pages back and go from there, but there was no gearing information given.
any help is appreciated!!

thx guys

cheers
vito
I run the GM 13.5 and gear at around 6.4 on our indoor carpet track running Martin's file. it does get pretty warm but that is about the gearing to run I think. Do as Abramowicz says, check the temps after a few mins and go from there. Run a motor cooling fan as well, always helps. I use a massive 40mm one.
__________________
Chris Swallow - Team Yokomo - GM Racing - Ko Propo

Donny Racing - http://donnyracing.yolasite.com/forum.php

Poweeeeerrrrr!
housey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:05 AM   #2370
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain stacker View Post
As far as onroad goes, my GM is dead. The brakes are crap! I am speaking from someone who has been using GM for 2 years, so I know pretty much the ins and outs with this speedy.

So many times I crawl my car slowly, like less than walking pace and I cannot even stop on the grid without overshooting. Yes, I have played with ALL brake settings. In a high speed section on our track, braking to nearly a complete stop, I am giving up 0.5sec on 1 corner alone, as I need to brake alot earlier than others, and even then I'm overshooting turns.

I also cannot use a setting on mode 9, unless its less than 20c ambient temperature, otherwise the motor will overheat. Yes, I have played with all the different FDR's, swithpoint, frequency etc. I can then put my tekin esc back in, and my motors come off 20c less!!

offroad, this esc is perfect, the smoothest speed control I have ever used. But onroad, brakes are not efficient, motors are running hot.
If there is one thing it doesn't need, its more brakes, theres enough power in them to lock up all four wheels in a touring car, and stop on a dime, would suggest you post your settings as something isn't right
__________________
CPD Racing
chris_dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Novak Brushless Tekin mini rage Brushless 1/18 price to sell IOwNMkeG R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 05-01-2008 05:49 PM
brushless, spektrum receivers, charger, brushless losi 8 tschenck R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 17 04-08-2008 07:18 AM
WTT: 1/10 scale NIB car kits for Brushless RC18T or other Brushless 1/10 car Bohh R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 04-06-2008 07:26 PM
NOVAK GTB BRUSHLESS RACING ESC 2.4GHZ + 13.5 BRUSHLESS MOTOR meronr R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 12 01-29-2008 02:18 PM
Brushless B4 Brushless T4 Clodzilla 4 ThunderQuake truggy Ofna Lx Pro buggy pcnutz R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 29 12-11-2005 01:12 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:33 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net