Search
Like Tree2Likes

GM Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YZFAndy
If you hold the brake half on and roll the car by hand the three colour lights will light one by one as the individual sensors are picked up. If they are not lighting you are probably running in sensorless mode.
Cheers Andy. I don't get three lights though. The red led comes on, then the yellow, then they both go out and then the red comes on again. Is this right?

Also does anyone know if mode 3 on the 2009 120 running firmware 8 is ok for running an X11 5.5. And further to that, running this setup outdoors on a massive track, how would you gear it? I have it at 7.5 at the moment but haven't run it yet so want to get it right before I do. This is all old gear cos I'm making a wet car for the ourdoor season. Cheers in advance guys
Old 02-08-2011, 03:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

One of your sensors is down

It will run sensorless
Old 02-08-2011, 04:13 AM
Tech Adept

I think it is just the green LED that is down as when I change it to mode 8 the motor revs up a lot higher. It wouldn't do that if it was just running sensorless right?

Originally Posted by hana166
One of your sensors is down

It will run sensorless
Old 02-08-2011, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

Hi,

I've been running my GM75 with GM13.5t (1300g) for a while now and it's been great it has stalled once though. I've always ran just the 'High Speed timing' Resrved 4-1 does anybody use the 'High Speed Timing from switching point rpm' Reserved 4-3 ?

Will it drive alot different, does it run the motor cooler ? basically what will it do and how will it feel ?

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Default mamba motor and gm esc

hello, does someone know if the mamba motors, (5700) have problem running with gm 2010 esc? and them performance how are compared to the gm pro motors? novak ballistic are as fast too with gm esc as with the kinetic esc?

thanks and regards
andrea
Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by housey
I think it is just the green LED that is down as when I change it to mode 8 the motor revs up a lot higher. It wouldn't do that if it was just running sensorless right?
If one light isn't coming on as hana said one of your sensors is out. That could be dirt on it in the motor, broke sensor, broken sensor wire(most probably) or a bent pin on the controller. And if the controller doesn't sense them in the right order it will automatically switch to sensorless mode.

Mode 9 is a more aggressive setting than 8 sensored or sensorless so one of the profiles has probably been modified. The lights will also work in the same way in all modes, so if you're not getting all three lights its still going to switch to sensorless.

You could just try and spin it up without any sensor cable in mode 8 and see if its still the same speed as it with the lead. If there is a difference between the two then that would suggest that the sensors are working in that mode. Then i would either factory reset the speedo as maybe a setting has been changed or dirty sensors aren't working because of more timing advance in mode 9. Clean the motor!

Just to add something you really don't want to be holding the motor at full throttle free reving. If timing kicks in you could trash bearings if a bit dry or damage the rotor.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by YZFAndy
If one light isn't coming on as hana said one of your sensors is out. That could be dirt on it in the motor, broke sensor, broken sensor wire(most probably) or a bent pin on the controller. And if the controller doesn't sense them in the right order it will automatically switch to sensorless mode.

Mode 9 is a more aggressive setting than 8 sensored or sensorless so one of the profiles has probably been modified. The lights will also work in the same way in all modes, so if you're not getting all three lights its still going to switch to sensorless.

You could just try and spin it up without any sensor cable in mode 8 and see if its still the same speed as it with the lead. If there is a difference between the two then that would suggest that the sensors are working in that mode. Then i would either factory reset the speedo as maybe a setting has been changed or dirty sensors aren't working because of more timing advance in mode 9. Clean the motor!

Just to add something you really don't want to be holding the motor at full throttle free reving. If timing kicks in you could trash bearings if a bit dry or damage the rotor.
I'm sure its just the green LED thats bust cos I just did what you said, tried it in mode 8 with and without the sensor lead and it revs a lot higher with the sensor lead in, so it must be working but the green LED is just not lighting up for some reason.

It only goes to mode 8 as its a 2009 120, so that is the most aggressive profile there is. I only factory reset it just before I installed it in my wet car so no profiles have been altered.

I'm pretty satisfied that its just the LED thats down as it does everything it should do in terms of modes and runnning with and without the lead in, as in, it reacts as it should to any changes I make and it must be running sensored of the motor revs would be the same with or without the lead.

Cheers for the help with the lights showing up the sensors anyway, problem all sorted now.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S.A.W
Hi,

I've been running my GM75 with GM13.5t (1300g) for a while now and it's been great it has stalled once though. I've always ran just the 'High Speed timing' Resrved 4-1 does anybody use the 'High Speed Timing from switching point rpm' Reserved 4-3 ?

Will it drive alot different, does it run the motor cooler ? basically what will it do and how will it feel ?

Thanks.
You will not need a switchpoint with the 13.5 1300g rotor. Only really needed for lower turn motors to prevent timing coming in too soon

To minimise chance of stalling take the motor apart, clean it, and if possible put 1mm shims behind the sensor board and use spacers on the rotor to give a clearance of about 0.5mm. Having the rotor really close to the hall sensors helps to prevent miscommutation
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

You might want to be sure that the old ESC actually had 3 lights...........cos I don't think it did!!

My memory was that the 3 states of sensors was each light individually, and then both together.

If changing from profile 3 to 8 made it a lot faster, then i'd be confident that the sensors are working fine.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Torque vs. timing

Hey all

I am going to race a really tight track in the weekend and thought about something.
Does the motor deliver more torque when i am below the switch point??? Then I guess it would be smart to have a high switchpoint for technical tracks, right??? Or am I just supposed to keep the switch point at 10.000 rpm? I am running super stock with 17.5 T.

I thought about it, because at another race I forgot my sensor cable for a final. The car was extremely fast out of the corners, but i reach top speed 1/3 down the straight. This could be because of a high gearing or because the speedo delivers more torque when it is in sensorless mode, I guess.

Another question. What sort of fixed timing are you guys using i 17,5. Currently I am running 30 and then gearing accordingly. Any one with other ideas???

Any help would be appreciated.

Søren
Old 02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

Hi I have just come back to the GM75 and was looking for some help

I have read this post from Martin -http://www.rctech.net/forum/7908081-post1851.html

But my 75 has 12.4 Firmware installed can anyone please point me in the direction of the firmware upgrader and in particular the instructions on how to flash the firmware correctly

Thanks for your help in advance :-)
Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 008-Racer
Hi I have just come back to the GM75 and was looking for some help

I have read this post from Martin -http://www.rctech.net/forum/7908081-post1851.html

But my 75 has 12.4 Firmware installed can anyone please point me in the direction of the firmware upgrader and in particular the instructions on how to flash the firmware correctly

Thanks for your help in advance :-)
Hi,

you can get all the software and driver here http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Produc...t/GM97163.html
Old 02-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by S.A.W
Hi,

you can get all the software and driver here http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Produc...t/GM97163.html
Thank you found those but there don't seem to be any instructions on how to upgrade the firmware using the upgrader?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

It's a little unusual, ususally everything is within the zip file - however, for v13 doesn't seem it is.

However, it is part of the v13.1 download - so you may as well use that!!

http://www.gm-racing.de/rwdownload/index.php?dl=155
Old 02-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 008-Racer
Thank you found those but there don't seem to be any instructions on how to upgrade the firmware using the upgrader?
Sotware update,

Download and install usb driver
Downolad and save V13 to your desktop
Download and run Software V1.6.3

Run the GM Genius Software updater (V1.6.3)

When this opens click browse and open the V13 file.

Plug usb into pc and speedo

Hold the button down on the speedo and click Program as soon as you click this press the button on the usb cable and release the button on the usb and then the button on the speedo, it should now say

'Start Firmware upgrade'

Did that help ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.