R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #1771
Tech Adept

Trying to update firmware now and i'm getting this message. Why?

[Message] : Waiting for Hardware Reset..
[Message] : Reset Data Receive...
[Message] : Reset Data Receive...
[Message] : Start Command Checked. Start Command Send.
[Message] : Found target device...
[Message] : Device ID Receive Fail. Retry ...
[Error] : Found not target device ID!!

It connects and talking to AS software ok. It is version 12.4 #97164 model.
YZFAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #1772
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

You need to press the program button... then you must press the button on the data lead before the percentage gets to 100%. It will then say detected Hex file and will then start upgrading your firmware.

Jonny
Old 08-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #1773
Tech Apprentice

The above just worked for me.

Or... just read the instructions in the pdf file you get with the firmware upgrader :-)
Old 08-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #1774
Tech Adept

Thats what i'm doing and i still get the message i posted.

And i did read firmware PDF and it doesn't mention anything about update procedure just restoring previous settings.

Last edited by YZFAndy; 08-26-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #1775
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFAndy View Post
Thats what i'm doing and i still get the message i posted.

And i did read firmware PDF and it doesn't mention anything about update procedure just restoring previous settings.
check that your cable isn't on a com port that the firmware updater can't see, I have the same thing on my netbook where it's on com16.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #1776
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaDude View Post
I haven''t used my 95 for a litlle while but now I tried to install it, it doesn't function.

It pops On as soon as I hook it up to power (which I know is a setting).
The leds blink when I hit throttle, but the motor bdoes not run.
I do not seem able to reset it, maybe anyone can explain again please?
Setting up the transmitter doesn't work, and also no beeps at all.

Could anyone here please take me through the steps one by one...I'm probably daft, but I'ld like to use this speedo again (for senosreless races)

But it smells ok not a burnsmell or anything at all.
I changed motors and batteries, which do work on other esc's. Didn't make any difference.
I triple checked all wires. All checks out.

Anyone else have suggestions what to try?
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #1777
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Martin Hofer

for new series speedos (laserprinted case) you need to use the upgrader instructions for "new bootloader"!

Bootloader 5 (the current one) features a writing protection to make sure the speedo cannot produce errors itself, which means for updating you have to do the following:

open upgrader
browse for firmware
make sure comport is correct
connect usb wire to speedo
push and hold the set button on the speedo
click program
push the button on the usb dongle
see the program doing it's job
when it's doing "flash programming xx%" you can release the set button of the speedo
Xenon Racing
Tonisport
Martin Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 AM   #1778
Tech Fanatic

Martin,

Is that "bootloader" the same as the GM-Genius Firmware Upgrader V1.03 or do I need to download something else?
I looked on the GM site and I could not find any downloads named bootloader so...

Help me out please...

*** JK Model Racing ***
*** MIX-RC.DE TEAM ***
Joost K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #1779
Tech Addict

I think the bootloader comes with the ESC and can only be installed ate GM-racing.

BTW Martin, it was really cool if you can upload your setups at the GM-racing.de (including Hara's setup at the ETS).

Cheers.
jorgesimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #1780
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hofer View Post
for new series speedos (laserprinted case) you need to use the upgrader instructions for "new bootloader"!

Bootloader 5 (the current one) features a writing protection to make sure the speedo cannot produce errors itself, which means for updating you have to do the following:

open upgrader
browse for firmware
make sure comport is correct
connect usb wire to speedo
push and hold the set button on the speedo
click program
push the button on the usb dongle
see the program doing it's job
when it's doing "flash programming xx%" you can release the set button of the speedo
Instant success, many thanks. I was starting to think the eprom was corrupted.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:22 AM   #1781
Tech Master

glad i was able to help you guys out.

the bootloader can only be updated by me, schumacher uk, or GM-Racing HQ.

if you got the old one and not hitting any trouble you are fine but with some electronic packages it occured that the speedo sometimes won't start as soon as it hits launch control. Mostly with the old sanwa 2.4 receiver (the one used with the Module for the M11)

the new one featues a writing protection (which is what you disable with pushing the set button) so the receiver cannot produce a speedo issue
Xenon Racing
Tonisport
Old 08-30-2010, 04:50 AM   #1782
Tech Adept

There was one problem after i upgraded to 13.0 , not sure if it was just me but might be of some use to people if you get the same.

After doing the update i had not brakes and with the throttle i only had slow, medium slow and flat out. I tried resetting the speedo and the transmitter but still the same. I flashed back to 12.4 and still the same, nothing i tried seemed to work including loading saved profiles.
Went back again to 13.0 but this time did a factory reset on the controller and also set the end point on the transmitter throttle (Ko Helios) from 100% to 150% and all seemed ok.

Strange and maybe something i missed but the speedo lights were showing full throttle and brakes but wasn't operating that way before setting the trans to +150% Throttle. It might have been the factory reset but i did that the first time around and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Brakes are now the strongest of any speedo i've tried including the likes of LRP and i can see transmission braking if set to 100%.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #1783
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Interesting I found my brakes about the same in total power but very different in feel, low speed was less brake
Perhaps I am doing something wrong
I like the new brakes but the original brakes have something that I really like also, very smooth
Personal preference I guess

Another option is always good, makes the best ESC even better !
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #1784
Tech Adept

just a copy and paste from the update accompanied pdf but maybe something to do with what you have said with regards to feel and power..

New brake functions of version 13.x compare to V12.x:
The new brake functions will give you a stronger brake feeling than the older versions.
Setting is on the flag Telemetry:
Reserved 4 (Value3) = 4 activated: the brake frequency will be devided /4 (f.e. at 4kHz frequency the
brake frequency will be 1kHz). The result will be a stronger brake feeling.
Reserved 4 (Value4) = 8 activated: the brake frequency will be devided /16. The brake feeling is softer
than value 3, but stronger than the older versions.
Reserved 4 (Value5) = 16 activated: brake feeling like very first generation of GM brushless speedo. The
brake feeling is softer, but may give a better brake feeling.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:46 AM   #1785
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFAndy View Post
There was one problem after i upgraded to 13.0 , not sure if it was just me but might be of some use to people if you get the same.

After doing the update i had not brakes and with the throttle i only had slow, medium slow and flat out. I tried resetting the speedo and the transmitter but still the same. I flashed back to 12.4 and still the same, nothing i tried seemed to work including loading saved profiles.
Went back again to 13.0 but this time did a factory reset on the controller and also set the end point on the transmitter throttle (Ko Helios) from 100% to 150% and all seemed ok.

Strange and maybe something i missed but the speedo lights were showing full throttle and brakes but wasn't operating that way before setting the trans to +150% Throttle. It might have been the factory reset but i did that the first time around and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Brakes are now the strongest of any speedo i've tried including the likes of LRP and i can see transmission braking if set to 100%.

HUGE MISTAKE!

As I've written before, NEVER EVER use more than 100% on your transmitters! Really never!

The reason why your throttle might be strange is that you messed up the TX Setup of the speedo.

do a factory reset
pick mode 2 with the transmitter with brake and throttle both set to 100% as following:
enter programming mode
do full throttle slowly, just don't rush
do full brake and HOLD!

then read out the speedo and your transmitter values should be something around
1.9x milliseconds or full throttle
1.4x-1.5x for neutral
and 1.1x for full brake
if they are really far off do it again!

then save your transmitter values as .tda file and your done, this way you can never mess up the tx setup again

which mode you are using does not matter at all
from personal preference I always use mode 2 as it is the easiest to pick while making sure you got the full tx data on the speedo

if you've done that right your throttle and brake will work properly without overloading the speedo by having the throttle or brakes too far off

__________________________________________________ ___
BTW, just a general note:

there is no way that turning up the EPA AFTER doing the tx setup to the speedo could give you any more power or brakes

the epa you do the tx setup with will be full throttle and full brakes, and anything above that will only produce errors
Xenon Racing
Tonisport