Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know if this will help but...

There are two GM 10.5 motors

Big rotor (red) high 1600 gauss 12.5mm - 97305

Small rotor (purple) 1300 gauss 12.3mm - 97290

I use both these motors and a Graupner 6567, they are not similar, each has its own different strengths

The big rotor 97305 has much more torque, and will not tolerate really high Fixed timing values and is likely to drop off a bit unless geared perfectly with an appropriate FT setting.

If you need punch and awesome brakes this is very good

The small rotor 97290 has much less torque, tends to draw less current, revs more freely at top speed and can handle very high values for Fixed Timing without significantly dropping off.

If its flowing, fast and you don't need amazing brakes I use this motor
Old 08-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Default cant upgrade software....

I have a 7168 gm genius running 7.2 software.

i cannot for the life of me get it to upgrade to the latest software, no matter what i try.i keep getting an error message saying it cant find the speedo.

also, when i send a new program to the esc, the values sent by the software do not match those that i have entered....are there any solutions to these problems?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burgie
I have a 7168 gm genius running 7.2 software.

i cannot for the life of me get it to upgrade to the latest software, no matter what i try.i keep getting an error message saying it cant find the speedo.

also, when i send a new program to the esc, the values sent by the software do not match those that i have entered....are there any solutions to these problems?
Dude, old one are only updatable at GM Factory.

You should send them to GM or just stay with 7.2 it is still good speedo.

Regards!
m.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Tech Rookie

ahh....that would explain it then!

Think I'll wait for the season to finish before sending it off for an upgrade then!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by burgie
ahh....that would explain it then!

Think I'll wait for the season to finish before sending it off for an upgrade then!
People are reporting a few bugs with the upgrade from 7.2 to V8.0, its at the end of its development, if i were you i would leave it be, the 7.2 is the bug free updated version of the older 4.9 controller, and its an excellent esc in its own right

I recommend you get the 2010 esc. Here are a few reasons

I have updated 7 times already and most, if not all the bugs are gone. Most important you don't have to send it back again

Its extremely smooth with a precise feeling to the throttle and even faster than the 7.2.

You can run the Graupner motors and deltas as an option

The programmable shutdown, intelligent variable timing and telemetry put this esc at least a year ahead of the others if not more just like the 7.2 did before

There are many settings and it can take time to really understand how to adjust it ideally

But when you get the set up its gonna be difficullt to live with both in punch and on the straight. Look at Hara at the ETS, just insane speed

If you're prepared to explore its capabilities its worth every penny. I bought 2
Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Rookie

this might be an old question but i am have major problems with my GM genius 90 speedo one of the early models pre 2010 . Having read the instuctions over and over again and spoken to people i know that run the GM speedos no one has come up with an answer.
My problem is no matter what i try the car will not go unless it gets a push start it then appears fine until iy comes to rest again i have noticed that when the car is at rest both lights on the ecs are on.
i have tryed everything i can think of motor recievers and so but still with no joy HELP NEEDED anyone please
Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by overtaker
this might be an old question but i am have major problems with my GM genius 90 speedo one of the early models pre 2010 . Having read the instuctions over and over again and spoken to people i know that run the GM speedos no one has come up with an answer.
My problem is no matter what i try the car will not go unless it gets a push start it then appears fine until iy comes to rest again i have noticed that when the car is at rest both lights on the ecs are on.
i have tryed everything i can think of motor recievers and so but still with no joy HELP NEEDED anyone please
Looks like a sensor trouble to me. Did you try sensorless settings without the sensor cable ? number of pole is setted at 2 ?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks slideaway i have tried a new sensor leads but i have not tried to run sensorless yet i will give it a try. If anyoneelse has any thoughts on this problem PLEASE let me know. It's given me a headache
Old 08-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by overtaker

Hi, just try turning the car on. Pull the throttle stick to full brake for a second and then let go. Then see if the car works

If it does, or even if it doesnt, go to a new profile on your transmitter and reset the transmitter data via the mode selection thing on the speed control.

(you need to check it is set to accept transmitter changes in the reserved settings, or do a factory reset before setting transmitter data.)

Also try trimming the throttle on your transmitter up slightly, after setting transmitter data.

Hope this works!

Andy
Old 08-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Adept

Hi
I see a lot of people recommend running profile 9 on this controller but i can find two. Which does what?

There is one setting that refers to 9 on the Acceleration page which says:
9 = middle additional timing 2 for 9.5T - 13.5T motors

And there is another setting that refers to 9 on the transmitter/mode page which in the help file says:
Mode 9 (forward, with brakes): max. additional timing.

Whats the difference and which should i be using? Is one for throttle curve rather than timing and just explained wrong?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Default GM 90 2010 loseing power half way through a race

Hi iam getting verey frustrated with trying to set up GM 90 2010 esc.
Iam running 10.5 GM 2010 PRO with GM 90 2010 esc and cannot get motor to run with consistent power and speed for a full 5 mins with out loseing power and getting hot half way through a 5 minute run.
I race at club level at the moment as iam just starting raceing electric 1/10th touring i have raced 1/10th nitro at national level for many years and thought would give 1/10th electric a go as the club that i belong to (Mendip,Weston Supermare,UK) which is a large out door asphalt track with a main strate of about 60mtrs long and are trying to get more members to join club.
Iam running a Xray T3 on rubber tyres with GM speedo set on default 9 setting with 5000 50c lipo battery, standard internal gearing of 1.9 and have been trying all different FDR ratios and cannot find one that will stay consistent for full 5 minutes.
Any help would be most appreciated as i have tried on main Xray site and seams like most team drivers do not want to give out their settings which i can understands as they have spent many hours on track testing to find best settings and do not want to help drvers that they may be raceing against but as i have said iam just learning to race 1/10th electric and am only a club racer of 45 years old who will never be as good as the team drivers, i just need some help as am getting no where on my own.

Thanks
Kevin Kennedy
Old 08-23-2010, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M.Abramowicz
Dude, old one are only updatable at GM Factory.

You should send them to GM or just stay with 7.2 it is still good speedo.

Regards!
m.
What would be the procedure of doing this?
Old 08-23-2010, 04:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by defcone
What would be the procedure of doing this?
Return to Graupner GmbH
D-73230 Kirchheim/Teck
Henriettenstrasse 94-96

Enclose 20 euro
Old 08-23-2010, 04:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MMMRC/KevinK
Hi iam getting verey frustrated with trying to set up GM 90 2010 esc.
Iam running 10.5 GM 2010 PRO with GM 90 2010 esc and cannot get motor to run with consistent power and speed for a full 5 mins with out loseing power and getting hot half way through a 5 minute run.

Thanks
Kevin Kennedy
This is not uncommon and it has taken me a while to master this, the speedo pushes everything to the limit. Did you look at post 1741 there are different 10.5T motors and they each need to be handled differently

No one at Mendip using a GM to help? that's a big straight

Ring Nick at Demon he will almost certainly be able to get you going in the right direction
Old 08-23-2010, 05:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Small rotor = more revs, I mean 12mm is the best choice

Want more power but lower rpms use 12.5 or 12.3mm

In my case with V2 I set by TX mode 3 (after update), switch from 0 to 30
with sensor and that is what I need.

New software made me confused ...
Old one I get what I need.

Regards!
m.

ps: GM is funny, there is more answers on gm forum, http://forum.gm-racing.de

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.