R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #1606
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sadly it renders the controller useless for my purposes.

Its an amazing product, the best imo but in racing it needs to be consistent and reliable, which is not always easy to achieve.

Its disappointing but its no problem to wait until it can be fixed. I understand this ESC is way more complex than the others and it will take time to get it right.

Martin please let us know whether we should wait for an update or if the controller is hardware faulty.
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #1607
Tech Rookie

Default V8.0 update worthwhile?

Hi
I've got the older version of the Genius 120, and it's presently running V7.2 firmware and I'm wondering if I should have it updated to version 8.0.

I bought the GM 2nd hand to replace my Norsam Evo stock spec, as I thought it would give me some more speed on the straights, however at present it doesn't seem to be performing much better than the Nosram which is a bit of a disappointment.

The GM has made my motor (Speed passion 13.5T v3.0) spin faster as I've reduced my FDR to about 6.1 (used to be 4.5 on the Nosram) and the motor comes off at about 60 degrees after a 5 min run like it did with the nosram.

Can anybody tell me if the V8.0 update will make my setup have more top end on the straights or can I achieve a similar effect by setting up my ESC better, e.g. reducing the timing and increasing the FDR?

Thanks.
Markeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #1608
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markeo View Post
Hi
I've got the older version of the Genius 120, and it's presently running V7.2 firmware and I'm wondering if I should have it updated to version 8.0.

I bought the GM 2nd hand to replace my Norsam Evo stock spec, as I thought it would give me some more speed on the straights, however at present it doesn't seem to be performing much better than the Nosram which is a bit of a disappointment.

The GM has made my motor (Speed passion 13.5T v3.0) spin faster as I've reduced my FDR to about 6.1 (used to be 4.5 on the Nosram) and the motor comes off at about 60 degrees after a 5 min run like it did with the nosram.

Can anybody tell me if the V8.0 update will make my setup have more top end on the straights or can I achieve a similar effect by setting up my ESC better, e.g. reducing the timing and increasing the FDR?

Thanks.
It will be quite a bit faster
Old 05-20-2010, 03:41 AM   #1609
Tech Rookie

Thanks, I'll get it sent off for an update.

One other question......can anybody tell me what the value for timing 1 and timing 2 actually mean? I know the higher the number the higher the timing, but how does the value corrilate to the timing applied to the motor.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2010, 04:06 AM   #1610
Tech Regular

I've been offered a GM120 v4.2. Is this outdated now? Can it be easily upgraded to the latest version?
JRXS_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:20 AM   #1611
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRXS_chris View Post
I've been offered a GM120 v4.2. Is this outdated now? Can it be easily upgraded to the latest version?
Yes it is outdated with regards to the latest generation speedo's but it all depends what level you are racing at.

You will have to send your speedo back to GM in Germany to have it updated to V8.0, that should have her up to speed with most of the "super" speedo's
Old 05-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #1612
Tech Addict

Quote:
Thanks, I'll get it sent off for an update.

One other question......can anybody tell me what the value for timing 1 and timing 2 actually mean? I know the higher the number the higher the timing, but how does the value corrilate to the timing applied to the motor.

Thanks
They are timing ramps, higher numbers represent steeper ramps. It doesn't necessarily mean more timing exactly, but more aggression. Like the Tekin 203 boost setting with start and end rpm creates a ramp.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #1613
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana166 View Post
They are timing ramps, higher numbers represent steeper ramps. It doesn't necessarily mean more timing exactly, but more aggression. Like the Tekin 203 boost setting with start and end rpm creates a ramp.
Thanks for that, it's given me a bit more insight into what they mean. However through testing I have found that if I reduce the value of timing 2 I get less top speed of the motor (even with wheels off ground), if these values are purley ramps I would have thought that the top speed would be the same but it would just take longer to get there.

Does this mean that the timing values are a combination of ramp and timing, i.e a high value gives a steeper ramp (more aggresssive) and higer timing?

There is also this minumumtiming value as well, is that related to the timing ramp aswell?

Sorry to be asking so many questions but the english documentation on the ESC is very poor, and the help files do not really explain what any of the paramaters mean.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:51 AM   #1614
Tech Rookie

since your using a 13.5, you will most likely be using mode 8/9. This mode has 'high speed timing' on. Which means timing 1 & 2 will have no affect. I know, it doesnt say that in the manual, but it does mention something in the pdf file that comes with software 11.1 onwards.

Dont confuse yourself with the other settings. I tried to understand it all, but then got told for stock, run mode 9 and play with gearing, and thats it. The manual is only good if your german
Big AL Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:29 AM   #1615
Tech Addict

Quote:
Thanks for that, it's given me a bit more insight into what they mean. However through testing I have found that if I reduce the value of timing 2 I get less top speed of the motor (even with wheels off ground), if these values are purley ramps I would have thought that the top speed would be the same but it would just take longer to get there.

Does this mean that the timing values are a combination of ramp and timing, i.e a high value gives a steeper ramp (more aggresssive) and higer timing?

There is also this minumumtiming value as well, is that related to the timing ramp aswell?

Sorry to be asking so many questions but the english documentation on the ESC is very poor, and the help files do not really explain what any of the paramaters mean.
Big Al gives good advice. Timing 1 and 2 apply mostly to the older software, but if you use them the car is still faster than <=FW7.2 . You don't really need to go there with >FW10. Mod guys might use these settings though. Use high speed timing with 13.5 and forget the other settings. If temps are too high reduce fixed timing to 10 or so and go up from there. Default setting of 25 is extremely quick. Definitely play with gearing to change the car's overall feel of torque. Fixed timing has a dramatic effect on top speed but can raise temps somewhat. I tend to set it according to the length of the straight and course type

And use variable dependent timing, it gives awesome feel in the midrange, very controllable but powerful. Personal preference though

On timing 1 and 2
Low values give a gentle ramp, the end point may well be higher than the max rpm reached on track or even off track therefore there is less total timing hence lower top speed. But probably its slightly more complex than that!

Min Timingzeit reduces timing after a certain rpm is reached helping to prevent overtiming at top speed. You can use this to reduce temps or limit top speed to give a consistent speed for the whole run. The algorithm is complex, the manual has guidance for this. Generally 8 gives max power
Old 05-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #1616
Tech Adept

Hh Does anybody follow the current ETS race in the Netherlands ?!

Atsushi Hara (with Genius 90/4.5t GM Motor powered new Hotbodies TCX) won the 2 first legs and finished 3 in leg 3. This major win's gonna assure the international promotion GM deserves for very long time.

Congratulations to all GM drivers and designers.
Ralph, your products are "kick ass GREAT" !
Old 05-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #1617
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

Maximum Speed
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #1618
Tech Addict

I think the gm mod runners are now playing with a small amount of timing advance like we use stock in stock racing, but not as extreme obviously.
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #1619
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana166 View Post
Big Al gives good advice. Timing 1 and 2 apply mostly to the older software, but if you use them the car is still faster than <=FW7.2 . You don't really need to go there with >FW10. Mod guys might use these settings though. Use high speed timing with 13.5 and forget the other settings. If temps are too high reduce fixed timing to 10 or so and go up from there. Default setting of 25 is extremely quick. Definitely play with gearing to change the car's overall feel of torque. Fixed timing has a dramatic effect on top speed but can raise temps somewhat. I tend to set it according to the length of the straight and course type

And use variable dependent timing, it gives awesome feel in the midrange, very controllable but powerful. Personal preference though

On timing 1 and 2
Low values give a gentle ramp, the end point may well be higher than the max rpm reached on track or even off track therefore there is less total timing hence lower top speed. But probably its slightly more complex than that!

Min Timingzeit reduces timing after a certain rpm is reached helping to prevent overtiming at top speed. You can use this to reduce temps or limit top speed to give a consistent speed for the whole run. The algorithm is complex, the manual has guidance for this. Generally 8 gives max power

On timing 1 and 2........for example the value 50 how many advance is? how many 1,2..8...10 degrees???
Old 05-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #1620
Tech Adept

Default GM 13.5

Hi There

I am after a new 13.5 gm motor, and my local shiop stocks 4 different types, 3 oif them are 70 and one 40, could anyone tell me what the difference is between these motors in terms of power and performance?

The part numbers are;

GM 97293 13.5T - Star wind, 12mm rotor 1540 guass bl sport (blue)

GM 97294 Brushless motor 13.5T star wind 2010 edition 1300Gauss

GM 97303 New 13.5T Pro Brushless Motor with 1600gauss rotor

GM6553 Brushless 13.5T 1600Gauss motor. Red

Just a bit confused as to which motor is the best, and what the characteristics of these are.

Mark
Bony85 is offline   Reply With Quote