R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #1561
Tech Apprentice

Default not going at start

I agree this is apparently a problem.
We have a Xray T3,GM90 2010 with 11.6 software. NO other changes to settings.
The receiver is a Spektrum 2.4 (the very small one with the transparent case) mounted on top of the servo a Futaba 9551. We use the short GM to receiver lead. The motor is a Novak 10.5 with the the adapter lead. The speedo is mounted so that the side where the wires exit is closest to the motor.

Worked flawlessly in practice and all three qualifiers.
In the first Final the car stopped after a short movement forward driving up to the line. I turned it off/on and all was OK. Fast enough to win the A final.
The second final the driver found that tapping the brake seemed to keep it 'alive' (though we obviously cant say categorically that the problem did occur). Again performed flawlessly throuhout the final.

The only difference that we can see is that the problem only occurred at the race meeting where lots of other cars were present/switched on.
Very annoying that we can't rely on this speedo.
Any ideas?
donwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:08 AM   #1562
Tech Adept

Default 2009 GM 120 FW 8

I have the old GM 120 esc with FW 8. Is it normal that I do not get the standard mode beeps on switching on the speedo?

I had it on mode 6 and it used to give me the 6 beeps. Then I changed to mode 8 using the transmitter, and changed some values for start & max AMP, timing and reserved values as recommended by Martin H in one of his previous posts, and now I do not get the beeps anymore. But on reading the speedo, the software does confirm mode 8 with the changed values.

On another note, if i want to enable high speed timing from switching point rpm, from the notes, it specify that I need to set reserved4 to 2. Uploaded all changes to the speedo, then checked by reading the speedo and 'high speed timing from switching point rpm' is not enabled. Not doing something right?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #1563
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman View Post
I have the old GM 120 esc with FW 8. Is it normal that I do not get the standard mode beeps on switching on the speedo?

Hi!
About pip option
Download data and look for reserved* = 148 change them to 128
pip will back to you.

m.
ps: reserved should have 148 value after you send changed T1/T2 or SWP values to speedo. some kinde of trick some pages ago described.
TC6!, TC5R, 12L4, 12R5.1, 10L2, 10R5, RC8T_CE_EL custom F1 chassis
http://www.wgtshop.com/
M.Abramowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #1564
Tech Rookie

My gm version 2 2010 is also fading towards the end of the race motor temp is around 70c, on standard mode 9, geared at 5.5 on a gm 13.5. Is this to do with the correction factor on the speedo. how do you check the temperature the speedo is reading hold in the button before turning the speedo off?? Then read telometry on laptop.

Also has anyone got a link for firmware 8 for the older model for a friend as i cant seem to find it on the gm website
Robbok20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #1565
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbok20 View Post
Also has anyone got a link for firmware 8 for the older model for a friend as i cant seem to find it on the gm website
Please read thread

Older GM are ONLY updatable at Graupner factory (Deutchland).
So you can not find V8.0 software.

You can ONLY do update for GM speedo ver II (the new one) ;-)

Regards!

m.

ps: about read telemetry, after ride, before turn off battery/switch
just push button on speedo, it store data in memory, and after read at
PC you can get values
Old 05-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #1566
Tech Rookie

ok thanks for reply, does version 8 make the speedo have 9 modes like the 2010 version. how much is it to upgrade to firmware 8.

Any more info on the fading half way through the race on the 2010 version 2
Robbok20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #1567
Tech Rookie

Default in my opinion dont get upgrade done

i wouldnt advise getting the update done in my opinion.
from speaking to a few people it seems that the caps on the side of the speedo now overheat causing power to drop during a run. perhaps someone from gm advise on this.
getting the update to 8.0 is a total waste of a speedo!!!
ben_cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #1568
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_cane View Post
getting the update to 8.0 is a total waste of a speedo!!!
Why do you think that?

Regards!
m.

ps: I'm in better position because I have gm95 and there is no
capacitors on pcb like on gm120 hie hie hei
Old 05-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #1569
Tech Rookie

Default useless

the speedo is useless because it losses all power after a few minutes use.
the motor temp is 45 degress, speedo the same. yet the caps on the board are 70 degrees plus. i was told the software update would make the speedo the same as the 2010 version. im sure gm are aware of the problem with the caps getting hot????? i just wish i could get the software down graded so i could use this again.
if someone from gm wants to tell me im wrong about all of this i'd love to hear your comments.
ben_cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #1570
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_cane View Post
the speedo is useless because it losses all power after a few minutes use.
the motor temp is 45 degress, speedo the same. yet the caps on the board are 70 degrees plus. i was told the software update would make the speedo the same as the 2010 version. im sure gm are aware of the problem with the caps getting hot????? i just wish i could get the software down graded so i could use this again.
if someone from gm wants to tell me im wrong about all of this i'd love to hear your comments.
It seems there is something wrong with the voltage reading for battery cutoff voltage in v8. It cuts power a lot.

Try setting that at a lower value (5v fi).

Let us know if it works.
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #1571
Tech Rookie

@ben_cane
The Cut off Voltage must be less then 5V. It is a problem with the lipo voltage, but it fix it. In the german 'Gm-Forum' it will be discuss.

caferacer

ps PizzaDude was faster :-)
caferacer161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #1572
Tech Adept

In soft version 1.6.3 Where are they --> *.gda archives (factory settings)? How do I charge mode 2...or 3..4...?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #1573
Tech Adept

Hi,

Having a few issues with my GM120 7.2 (non 2010) and was wondering if you can shed any light.
I recently got a X12 10.5 stock motor. Wired it up this evening and noticed an issue. When the setup is wired with a sensor it doesnt rev high and stutters, I can feel the temp changing in my hands too. To make it even more confusing if I turn the speedo switch off and leave my TQ booster switched on then it does rev high but starts to get warm quickly(never let it get too warm). If I disconnect the sensor and run it then it runs slow but doesnt get warm. I have reset it back to factory defaults and checked the settings, all look fine but still getting the same issue.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

P.S
Any settings for a 1/12th running lipo would be appreciated too
chris_blakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #1574
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_blakey View Post
Hi,

Having a few issues with my GM120 7.2 (non 2010) and was wondering if you can shed any light.
I recently got a X12 10.5 stock motor. Wired it up this evening and noticed an issue. When the setup is wired with a sensor it doesnt rev high and stutters, I can feel the temp changing in my hands too. To make it even more confusing if I turn the speedo switch off and leave my TQ booster switched on then it does rev high but starts to get warm quickly(never let it get too warm). If I disconnect the sensor and run it then it runs slow but doesnt get warm. I have reset it back to factory defaults and checked the settings, all look fine but still getting the same issue.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

P.S
Any settings for a 1/12th running lipo would be appreciated too
hi Chris, with the X12, try the insert that retards the timing (either the -5 or the -10 one) and see if that helps.

If you're running 1S Lipo then leave the speedo switched off and just switch the booster on.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:32 AM   #1575
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Abramowicz View Post
Hi! About pip option Download data and look for reserved* = 148 change them to 128 pip will back to you ...
found that. car's peeping again

for the v1.6.3 software and with my firmware 8, it is under reserved 2.