R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2003, 10:33 AM   #1
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F
Default Quasar Pro Charger

Anyone using this charger? What are the pros and cons.

Thanks in advance
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 10:45 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Default Quasar Pro Charger

Mike F;

This Charger has just about every feature one could want.

Pros: AC/DC, 1-8 Cells, 0-6.5 Charge rate, 0-20 Discharge, adjustable Threshold, Cycling, etc.

Cons: Large size, Loud Fans and Alert tone, Amp rate varies .05 while charging (bad for charging RX/TX packs).
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 11:48 AM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

I have one and I love it...cept for the left fan that doesn't heat up for the first cycle and makes a terible noise...2nd 16 second cycle it comes to life though. I wish it discharged to 30 amps and had a motor run in feature like the LRP Pulsar or Competition Electronics, but all in all, very good charger. I have found that it works the best running DC off of a power supply and not AC (less false peaks and a better charge). I give it plenty of juice running off of a rivergate 30 amp power supply. One day i'll have a CE and be able to power both and my tire truer with no problem.
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 11:55 AM   #4
Regional Moderator

popracer - the cons I can live with

Thank you both. I plan on upgrading from my BC112A. I thought about the LRP but it discharges at a lower rate. I also like the cycling feature of the Quasar Pro and it's at a reasonable price, $179.00

Thanks again
Old 05-08-2003, 06:52 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeah, it's a pretty good deal for what you get. There are a few people I know that really like it.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:34 PM   #6
sup
Tech Addict

since you guys are on the "charger" topic, would just want to ask if the orion charger is good.. price range here in our area is around $90-$100.. my other choice is an apex mu charger within the same price range.. any comments about these chargers? thanks!
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:46 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I haven't heard anythign about orion chargers, but the digitle discharger is really good. I've seen people use apex chargers, they seem to work ok.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:44 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Charger is very good. But, the loudness is obnoxious, the soldering around the alligator clips is fragile and it is huge.

On the other hand, the features: 6.5amp charge/20amp discharge/variable peak detection/etc. Reedy/Associated customer support are all 2nd to none!!!

The only step up from here is to CE's line of products.
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 12:22 PM   #9
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kaizen
Charger is very good. But, the loudness is obnoxious, the soldering around the alligator clips is fragile and it is huge.

On the other hand, the features: 6.5amp charge/20amp discharge/variable peak detection/etc. Reedy/Associated customer support are all 2nd to none!!!

The only step up from here is to CE's line of products.
I can live with the noise, drop another tab of solder for the clips. Huge as is bigger than the CE's or bigger than LRP's and Novak chargers?

I'm more interested in getting a quality charger with features like cycling, discharging.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:33 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

the reedy isn't all that big. Its much smaller than a competition 35BL or GFX. I really enjoy the charger. If you like it than don't let anyone persuade you otherwise.
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 02:46 PM   #11
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Devin
the reedy isn't all that big. Its much smaller than a competition 35BL or GFX. I really enjoy the charger. If you like it than don't let anyone persuade you otherwise.
Thanks Devin and I wont
Old 05-09-2003, 03:13 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Its really not that big...I know lots of ppl who like 'em. And the fans aren't terribly loud...loud is the Duratrax Intellipeak.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 03:54 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Smartazz07

I'm new in the racing but I've had my xxx-s for over a year and i recently ruined a 3000mah with my reedy quasar(not pro). Im looking into a new charger and trying to decide between the quasar, pulsar, and millenium pro. Any Suggestions?

P.S. Whats the cheapest online hobby store that you know of. The best ive found is Stormer Hobbies.

Brandon
Smartazz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 04:30 PM   #14
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Smartazz07
I'm new in the racing but I've had my xxx-s for over a year and i recently ruined a 3000mah with my reedy quasar(not pro). Im looking into a new charger and trying to decide between the quasar, pulsar, and millenium pro. Any Suggestions?

P.S. Whats the cheapest online hobby store that you know of. The best ive found is Stormer Hobbies.

Brandon
Hey Smartazz07, can you tell me how you ruined the battery?

I've been using a Tekin BC112A for years now but it's time to upgrade. I thought about sending it to ExpressTech to upgrade but I think I'm going to go with the QuasarPro. It basically has everything I need plus some.

The 3 charges that you mentioned above are all good charges. The Pulsar Lrp is great, from what I've heard and read. The only thing that I don't like about it is it's discharge rate, 10 amps.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:52 PM   #15
Regional Moderator

Those that have this charger, what are you charging your NIMH batteries at, 6 AMPS or 5. If they are matched are you using the same amps to charge them as what's indicated on the label? Also, what about the treshold?

I've been basically using my BC112A so there's allot of features on this new charger that I am not aware of or how to use them. Again, for those that have this charger, are the instructions pretty much straight forward?