R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-11-2003, 09:13 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Smartazz07

I'm trying to find one under $150 but will go up to $175.
Smartazz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 07:28 PM   #32
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to DraKhen99

Hey guys, I needed a new charger [one to charge NiMH batteries, do discharges, and cycling] since I have a [eek!] Dynamite Mega Peak charger. I recently purchased some matched "SMC" brand Sanyo 2400 cells, and wanted to get a good charger to go with them.

So I got the Quasar Pro at my LHS.

So far I have charged a few packs, discharged a few packs, and cycled a couple packs [all today!] and the thing doesn't even get hot... maybe 110 degrees [Fahrenheit], but I didn't temp it with my temp gun yet, so I could be off by a few degrees.

Anywho, I was charging at 4.0 amps, discharging at 19.5 amps, and had a 5 minute interval between discharges and charges when cycling.

Anyone out there charging up 2400's [or other nicads] with the Quasar Pro? What settings are you using or do you recommend?

Thanks!
DraKhen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 05:08 AM   #33
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to ChrisO Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisO

Quote:
Originally posted by Smartazz07
What about the Indi 16x7v6 and 16x7pro. They're both AC/DC and thats what I want since power supplies are so expensive. Are these nice? Are they better or worse than the 16x5? Why are all of tha good chargers DC only?
Ya know Smartazz, you could make your own power supply and save HEAPS Click here

I am currently in the process of doing the conversion right now, and many other racers at my track have done it too

Hope it helps with making a desision towards AC/DC power
ChrisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 01:30 PM   #34
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to DraKhen99

I heard that if the battery packs aren't too much above ambient temperature, then the pack false-peaked. Is this true? I watched the Quasar Pro charger charging the batteries and the mAh went to about 2500 or so on my 2400 mAh NiCads...

Is this normal?
DraKhen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 08:19 PM   #35
Tech Addict

i recently aquired a novak millenium charger not the pro.
is this a decent charger able to handling 3300 batteries?

or are they any others on the market that are in the same ball park? pitbull? LRP Pulsar?

any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks!
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 12:11 AM   #36

I have two of the Q pro chargers, and charge both NIcd and NImh batteries. Some at 6.5 amps and no problems, as long as you keep them elevated in the back so they can draw clean air. I also do my receiver and transmitter packs with them.

If you are looking for them at a good price check www.ultimatehobbies.com, they have them and they ship....

I have talked to their customer support when I first got it and the guy there help me out, an told me were to start with the packs I have and now I keep track of my batteries and they are all doing well.
4cellovalrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 11:57 AM   #37
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

In addition to my quasar pro, my GFX just came in. I'm happy to have this combo two chargers...now I can do almost anything
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 01:41 PM   #38
Tech Elite

i have three of them one stays at home on my work bench and the other two go to the track you have to watch the input voltage sometime the screen will flash input vltage below 10.4 . all of them do it i have found this to happen when using either 110 wall curent or generator power.
another thing that will happen is the display will read charger too hot . when i call tech support they said check the leads to the aligator clips and that was the problem on all three units i own.
i charge my 3300 at 6.0 amps and have threshold set to .03 mv iget great performance out of my batts and really can deal with the small problems that have happend but nothing really negative, i do wish that they would have included a motor run in function. by the way the chargers do run hot you guys need to make sure that they do get plenty of ventilation flowing under them. if my turbo thirty would be as small and no power supply needed i would prefer to use it . i only use the turbo thirty to use my lathe and breakin and tune my motors. but still the quasars are still a good charger turbo thirty or gfx is still the top of the line for those that can afford it.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:03 PM   #39
Tech Master

HeY i use to have the intellipeak and that has the loudest fan you could want on a charger but the reedy charger is loud but not that loud and since i got it back in Nov. i never had a false peak since the only bad thing about it is that you can't use it for motor run in or to cut coms but that don't really matter at all to me but other then that i love it. you also have to change what type of pack and amount of mah and charge rate for different packs though like ni cd or ni mh charging from 5.50 amps for certain packs to 6.00 amps for other packs but that aint that bad and it's easy to do. the only thing i dont like about my charger is that it's extremely loud when it's done charging or discharging and it's starting to get annoying to me . well thats all i gotta say.
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 03:11 PM   #40
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I actually have 2 Quasar Pros that I will sell for 125 each. I have the original box and directions for them. PM me for details. I would take Paypal if one wanted to purchase one. I'm on Ebay as wyd10 and have perfect feedback. also I deal with Macky on this site and most of you know him with all those killer cars he sells.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 05:21 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Default Quasar Pro Charger

Guys;

I recently sold my Quasar Pro to buy a second Pulsar Comp. Why?

I already have an Indy 16X-2.5 Charger that is AC/DC and the Pulsars have a few more features that are useful to me.

If you need an AC/DC Charger, the Quasars and Integy's have just about everything you would need and are good choices for the money.

Last edited by popsracer; 09-03-2003 at 07:33 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:13 PM   #42
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy
I own a Qusar Pro and well last tuesday my display and charge mode failed but what surpises me is that i've only had it for a year this coming sunday.

if you have any guess why you think this would happen just start posting becuase i really want ot hear peoples oppions.
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 04:11 PM   #43
Tech Elite

ceck the fuses they are internall be carefull going in there quite a bit of wiring running everywhere!
Old 09-04-2003, 04:13 PM   #44
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy
Quote:
ceck the fuses they are internall be carefull going in there quite a bit of wiring running everywhere!
i guess ill go do that
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:55 PM   #45
Tech Rookie

Default Quasar Pro

I was just wondering if you could get a Temperature sensor for the Quasar Pro. And if so, do you know which ones would work..
ocho8_wi is offline   Reply With Quote