R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-24-2007, 03:50 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Either you don't know a lot about 1/12th cars or you didnt look at the DB12R very closely. It is not at all like a Gen-X...not even close. The only similarity is that neither car uses a t-bar.

I was waiting for the flame

Now I just wait for my DB12R to arrive
bjspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:20 AM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbeast View Post
I disagree, the use of side bars in fiberglass is much like a link car (like the Gen X). The bars are acting as a combo link and torsion source.

I wouldn't be concerned about a patent, this is nothing new, there have been many cars in the past that have used this dual fiberglass bar design, I think Corally had one not long ago.

dont mean to hijack the thread but our rear suspension is alot different than the ones you speak of.if you are interested in learning a little more about it,please feel free to email of PM me and i will be happy to explain or send some pics to make things easier for you to see.back to xray
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:23 AM   #18
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttso View Post
Jason need to get DB12R L-plate design patented before been copied...
it was a patentable design and differed enough from whats on the market but it was alot of money and i cant stop overseas companies even with a patent
J Concepts
Old 08-24-2007, 05:11 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Either you don't know a lot about 1/12th cars or you didnt look at the DB12R very closely. It is not at all like a Gen-X...not even close. The only similarity is that neither car uses a t-bar.
You're right they are different mechanically. However, they do share some similarities. They both use three pivots to connect the chassis to the rear pod, they both use an o-ring for battery retention, they both use the 4 cell inline battery configuration and they both use damper rods (as do most 1:12 cars).

The main difference would be the way torsion is controlled. The GenX\Rev4.5 uses springs to control flex between the chassis and rear pod and the DB12R uses fiberglass flex. In the end, they both work alike to control torsion. BMI has definitely evolved 1:12 chassis design with the DB12R.

Anyhow, this is the Xray thread. I imagine Xray will come out with a cleaner functional design similar to the old Hammer 12 \ HPI F1 which again is a 3 pivot design.

Last edited by Apex; 08-24-2007 at 05:23 AM.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I have been racing Pan cars for 20 years. Corally never had a fiber link car. Yokomo and Bolink had 1/10 Prototypes that had a U bar (like a T-bar but wrapped around a central battery). They however were solidly attached to the rear lower pod plate. This where the DB12R differs as it has pivot balls at the end of each link and in the center of the chassis. This is what has not been done before.

The DB12R has a MUCH more progressive side to side spring rate than any link car due to the flex links. This feature gives loads of STEERING without compromising rear traction and forward bite.
I have been racing for a long time too and I think you are mistaken: this
was my favourite Corally 12th scale car the SP12V. Came out in august 1993.
Frans H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
it was a patentable design and differed enough from whats on the market but it was alot of money and i cant stop overseas companies even with a patent
If you have it patented in US, and some EU or JP company make 1/12 with same design, they probablly can sell copied car outside of US, but not in US. That means lost 30-40% market, maybe more. And if my knowledge is right, US patent still has somekind of enforcement in EU and JP due to copyright agreement between US-EU and US-JP.

I'm not copyright/patent expert, maybe someone over here can help you.
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Most of that market can be gained back by selling through on-line shops and ebay.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just what we need a $400 1/12 scale car.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans H View Post
I have been racing for a long time too and I think you are mistaken: this
was my favourite Corally 12th scale car the SP12V. Came out in august 1993.

An interesting car but I don't believe it works on the same principals. If it did it would need a center shock which the car doesn'thave. Looking at the pics zoomed in I see no center pivot so it looks like the full range of movement is dependant on the flex of the plates where with the DB12R only the torsenal movement of the pod is dependant on the flex of the side plates.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Hmmm...
Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Actually, only the longitudinal flex was dependent on the side links on the Corally 12V. Torsional movement was controlled only by dampening fluid. There was a rear pin-pivot system, let me get a picture of it up...

Old 08-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Which makes it the opposite in concept then the DB12R...Where the SP12V flexes the DB12R pivots...where the SP12V pivots the DB12R flexes.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #28
Tech Lord

that is not the same concept or function.that is a floating rear suspension.there seems to be no fixed roll position.the pod can float up and down from what i can see in the pics.it looks like the pod can flex the plates and raise the lower pod above the chassis without forward roll.
J Concepts
Old 08-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #29
Tech Lord

there are many ways to make a rear pod and make it function.it needs pivot points,side spring tension,forward spring tension and dampening.how it is achieved is up to the developer.they will all function but some have bad habbits.all rear suspension is the same concept,to achieve those functions.
J Concepts
Old 08-25-2007, 04:44 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
Actually, only the longitudinal flex was dependent on the side links on the Corally 12V. Torsional movement was controlled only by dampening fluid. There was a rear pin-pivot system, let me get a picture of it up...

yeb, that's it.

My comment was for Adrian who stated that Corally never made etc.... Corally had a SP12V and a SP10V which was also with side bars. I never intended to discuss Jason's car. It's good to have a good choice in 12th scale cars with different disigns. 12th scale is coming up again !
Frans H is offline   Reply With Quote