Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
In a few days pitbull.In a few days.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #92
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
Havent some people had some horror stories about dinball for sure not having things in stock when they list that they do??? While it lists 20c, what about nominal, sustained, burst? Also, Hong Kong is part of China , it could some of those cheapies you see from Ebay . Are you going to take the plunge?
I've had about 10 orders from them, the only problem I had was a slight crease in one bodyshell. It was a lightweight version and although they could have packaged it better, the price was so good I did not mind. Never had any stock related problems. Half my orders were on ebay and half on their website(big ones).

Although HK is under chinese rules now, I don't class it the same as mainland china. They have a lot of history and culture from british rule that will always leave a legacy. All the people I have known from there have been really nice people I got on well with.

I would be more interested in the premium power which I suspect are the same cells but is much cheaper. For the time being my solo maxamps packs is doing the business in my touring car . I need to sort a couple of smaller packs for my bike but I think I will go for enerland 3300 as space is a big issue.
JevUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #93
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I had an Orion 3200 that lasted less than 20 seconds and then went open circuit. Does that mean I should put it in the sux category? Well, technically 20 seconds is an exageration. It did take 45 minutes to charge before lasting 20 seconds.

The battery has been sent off to Orion to determine what went wrong. I'm not sure if they have received it yet but I've heard nothing back from them.
I thought I should update this because things have changed.

I received a new battery from Orion earlier this week and ran it last night for the first time. Joe Pillars was the person who I was in contact with at Orion and he was as nice as it gets (through email anyway). I was not expecting them to send me a completely new battery. They have apparently sent the old battery off to Kokam to find out what went wrong. Considering they could have done that before sending me a replacement battery if they so desired, I'm more than happy with the customer service. Can I turn my Li-sux into a Li-Awesome based solely on customer support?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:46 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

My little thread is all growed up!!.......
Old 09-01-2007, 04:19 AM   #95
Tech Addict

So far no names of Lipo-sux.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #96
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just wondering if anyone has used LiMn and had any problems?

As I see it, LiPo is but a stepping stone to something in the future that is both safe and easy to use. Perhaps LiMn is that battery. Or, perhaps it is another step.

At the very least, the use of LiMn will help disassociate new battery technology from all of the bad press that LiPo gets, even though the batteries are so similar.

So, perhaps LiPo should be considered "sux", and LiMn given the title of "awesome". Any thoughts?
RandomFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:21 AM   #97
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFellow View Post
So, perhaps LiPo should be considered "sux", and LiMn given the title of "awesome". Any thoughts?
Kokam LiPo appear to be more safe than NiMH, and probably the safest LiPo, aside from A123. I think that's the whole point of this thread. LiPo isn't the problem, cheap LiPo is the problem.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 AM   #98
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Kokam LiPo appear to be more safe than NiMH, and probably the safest LiPo, aside from A123. I think that's the whole point of this thread. LiPo isn't the problem, cheap LiPo is the problem.
He he he, what about sub c's made in China that are exploding like hot cakes?

Old 09-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #99
Tech Regular

and just like with sub'c it's ofter the user that sux not the product. So maybe there should a new thread with the title "battery owner awsome Vs battery owner sux"

Soooo many times have I heard stories of that a friend of a friend of a friend etc, set his car on fire with lipos. And then found out that he he had just crashed his plane with his 4 year old pack in, then put it straight back on charge on the back seat of his car with the doors and windows shut lol.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #100
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here is a good rule of thumb with quality.
  • Only buy from manufacturers who can give you a constant C rating and a burst C. Many times, those companies who only list a high C rating are only giving you the burst. NOT what it really is capable of in sustained runs.
  • Don't buy one without a balancing lead.

From my experience in the micro/mini world.
A#1: Thunder Power. They have the years of experience and use high quality cells. I only had to replace one pack of theirs since using them, and that was because the wires silicone started splitting at the battery exit so it could potentially short circuit. They took it back and let me purchase a new one of the newer C rating at half price.

B: Apogee. I have seen one puff, and another get "soft" while running. However, these were the regular lipo versus limn.

C: MaxAmps. First weekend, one persons wouldn't recharge. Then of course there is that BS they have about charging you more to have a pack last longer. That and they take forever to fill orders.

D: Venom. Friends failed. However I do have to give Venom credit in that they are replacing it for him for free. They do not list the constant and burst C ratings however.

Orion does not offer any cells except through their Avionics line that have any dimensions that can fit our cars closely. As it is, micros have so many configurations that making a plastic case would lower the potential market for us. Also racers in our scale get smaller size lipo packs than what the cell area can fit. We still get plenty of runtime for races, and it allows us to play with weight and CG balance by moving the pack and putting electronics (which are usually out of scale) behind/aft of the pack.

*Need help finding an Xray supplier? Check the dealer/distributor database.
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/other/worldwide.php
Mini_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #101
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (79%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JevUK View Post
and just like with sub'c it's ofter the user that sux not the product. So maybe there should a new thread with the title "battery owner awsome Vs battery owner sux"

Soooo many times have I heard stories of that a friend of a friend of a friend etc, set his car on fire with lipos. And then found out that he he had just crashed his plane with his 4 year old pack in, then put it straight back on charge on the back seat of his car with the doors and windows shut lol.
ya but it makes for a better story to tell. the truth just isnt very action packed haha
wd40prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #102
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JevUK View Post

I dont have a problem where things are made, I am clowning those that hate on lipos made in China, but they say zip about sub c's made over there.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #103
Tech Addict

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=24841

ORCA 7.4v 4800mah 20C

After 4 times i ran this lipo i can say that we have to put it in the category "sux".
With a Reedy Neo 4Star motor and a Nosram matrix Evolution 2007 (FDR 7,93) i got a total of 9 mins runtime (5 mins and 4 others mins after half an hour of rest) until the lipo cutoff point with no punch from the first seconds.Maybe after a few cycles more it will be getting better but i don't think so.Poor quality cells and in a few words wasted money.My advise? Stay away from them.Much better the Premium Power Lipos and they costs less.

Last edited by Born2Run; 09-08-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Born2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #104
Tech Regular

Good call. I will make sure I warn everyone about them.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:27 AM   #105
Tech Addict

Here is another one lipo:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=34056

Who will do the test this time?Not me again.