Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to larlee Send a message via Yahoo to larlee
Default Motor gearing questions

Hi all,
I have a question about brush motor.
example:
Tamiya Super Stock TZ 23T
instruction manual says gearing ratio is between 6.5 - 7.5

What does under gear or over gear means?
If I gear my TA05 to 5.9 with this super stock TZ, does it mean it is over gear? it gets very hot after 1 battery pack, does it means i am stressing the motor?
if i gear it to 8, will it be too much torque and it will also kill the motor?

Sorry, I got confused by different views. Can someone pls enlighten me?
Thanks.
larlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:12 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

try gearchart.com they can explain that for you.
imel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Thanks.
I have tried to search for it,do I have to register in order to read it?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlee View Post
Hi all,
I have a question about brush motor.
example:
Tamiya Super Stock TZ 23T
instruction manual says gearing ratio is between 6.5 - 7.5

What does under gear or over gear means?
If I gear my TA05 to 5.9 with this super stock TZ, does it mean it is over gear? it gets very hot after 1 battery pack, does it means i am stressing the motor?
if i gear it to 8, will it be too much torque and it will also kill the motor?

Sorry, I got confused by different views. Can someone pls enlighten me?
Thanks.
Hey, ok the instruction manual knows best so i would reccomend sticking between 6.5 and 7.5 FDR for that motor. If you are currently running a FDR of 5.9 this means that you are overgeared. Overgeared means that the pinion gear has too many teeth on it and it is straining the motor and therefor heating it up! 5.9 isnt in the reccomended space of your instruction manual so this is why you are overheating. if you are running on a large track you want to go for a low FDR (final drive ratio). If you are running on a small track you want a High FDR to give you more acceleration. The higher the FDR the more acceleration the motor will have and and the lower the more top end speed it will have...but by having too much top end speed and not very good acceleration it isnt allowing the motor to rev freely and bogging it down as i said before. Undergearing is not usually a problem. For brushless if you majorly undergear them and they overrev down the straight the rotor in the motor can shatter. This is quite un-commen though. You want the most speed and acceleration around a track, so go to the track and start at a FDR of about 7. If your motor is cold after your 5 minute race (battery pack) you can go down in your FDR (more teeth on the pinion gear). You want your motor about luke warm when you feel it, it should not burn your hand, if it does go up in FDR (smaller pinion).

I hope this helps you,

Ragards, Ryan
Old 08-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray To The Max View Post
Hey, ok the instruction manual knows best so i would reccomend sticking between 6.5 and 7.5 FDR for that motor. If you are currently running a FDR of 5.9 this means that you are overgeared. Overgeared means that the pinion gear has too many teeth on it and it is straining the motor and therefor heating it up! 5.9 isnt in the reccomended space of your instruction manual so this is why you are overheating. if you are running on a large track you want to go for a low FDR (final drive ratio). If you are running on a small track you want a High FDR to give you more acceleration. The higher the FDR the more acceleration the motor will have and and the lower the more top end speed it will have...but by having too much top end speed and not very good acceleration it isnt allowing the motor to rev freely and bogging it down as i said before. Undergearing is not usually a problem. For brushless if you majorly undergear them and they overrev down the straight the rotor in the motor can shatter. This is quite un-commen though. You want the most speed and acceleration around a track, so go to the track and start at a FDR of about 7. If your motor is cold after your 5 minute race (battery pack) you can go down in your FDR (more teeth on the pinion gear). You want your motor about luke warm when you feel it, it should not burn your hand, if it does go up in FDR (smaller pinion).

I hope this helps you,

Ragards, Ryan
Thanks Ryan. This really helps a lot.