R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #121
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus driver View Post
IT SHOW A NUF AINT ROAR
I talked to the ROAR Tech Director about it over the winter. I think one of the biggest factors is they dont have the bandwidth, tools, of knowledge internal to the organization to determine what is and isnt safe. Its not like its a paying job and they are making a load of money. They are just racers like you and I that stepped up to volunteer to help. Im not a big fan of ROAR but at the same time I see his points and it gives me a different perspective.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #122
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
So, this is just another half-ass scary LiPo story without any facts then?
When I got back into racing last year, threads similar to this one scared me away from lipo so I threw down $500+ on new cells and all the latest NIMH paraphernalia. Fewer people in the market for batteries these days will make the same poor purchasing decision. The cat is now officially out of the bag and there's no way to stuff it back in. For example, "SRS just made a rule change for the 2007 AZ State championship race (while not a ROAR race... still a big deal) to allow LiPo's in all classes except rookie stock". Noobs and people coming back to the hobby are starting to get the message that all you need is one lipo battery and one cheap charger to be competitive. The revolution has begun.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #123
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
You know the second that somebody produces some requirements for pack safety that Orion and A123 won't be alone in producing safer packs. Right now, there's no incentive since they can undercut their prices and claim to be just as good without all the bells and whistles.
Actually, isn't it only Kokam and A123 that are approved for shipment by air?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=178247
Old 08-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #125
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamButter View Post
Well if an element is inherently dangerous, such as LITHIUM perhaps an alternative should be sought after. Whether it is in the protective case encasing the cells or if it in fact means using a different element. By posting all of this I was attempting to educate people on WHY lithium (LiPo) is dangerous....because the chemical itself is dangerous. Same goes for Magnesium and any of the other volatile elements that can be used.

I'm all for longer run times and ease of use such as what Lipo has introduced but perhaps we can work towards the same benefits with a safer cell...

Hope that answers your question.
An unsafe element does not necessarily remain unsafe when combined in certain ways with other elements. You posted the effects of pure lithium, not the effects of lithium in the form that we use. Sodium and chlorine have some pretty nasty effects but I sure can't live without them to make my food taste bearable. Technology can alter the volatility of lithium to make safer packs.

A123 has flat out said no flames, no explosions. Orion has almost said the same. Technology is definitely getting to an acceptable safety level in these packs. It's just hasn't proved the test of time yet.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #126
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
Noobs and people coming back to the hobby are starting to get the message that all you need is one lipo battery and one cheap charger to be competitive.
Maybe we should be mindful of saying "cheap" chargers. Granted, a quality LiPo charger can be inexpensive in comparison to an NiMH charger, but there are definitely some "cheap" LiPo chargers on the market I would urge people to avoid.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #127
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys, I'm finally able to let you in on my invention now that I have a prototype developed. No track could possibly complain about running my specially produced lipo-safe car.

Here's a pic:
Old 08-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #128
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm finally able to let you in on my invention now that I have a prototype developed. No track could possibly complain about running my specially produced lipo-safe car.

Here's a pic:
rotflmao
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #129
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Kuzo, nice photoshop job! Is it waterproof as well for our fellow racers across the pond?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #130
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Kuzo, nice photoshop job! Is it waterproof as well for our fellow racers across the pond?
I'll put the velcro flap down so water can't get through there. Do you think there will be too much heat build up with the ESC?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #131
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

Quote:
An unsafe element does not necessarily remain unsafe when combined in certain ways with other elements. You posted the effects of pure lithium, not the effects of lithium in the form that we use. Sodium and chlorine have some pretty nasty effects but I sure can't live without them to make my food taste bearable. Technology can alter the volatility of lithium to make safer packs.

A123 has flat out said no flames, no explosions. Orion has almost said the same. Technology is definitely getting to an acceptable safety level in these packs. It's just hasn't proved the test of time yet.

This is true, however Lithium is a highly combustible element. Unlike Sodium and Chlorine that are used to make table salt. Neither of those base elements are highly volatile in their "normal" state. I agree that when mixed with another element you can reduce the volatility, however you are starting from a dangerous base. This is simply my opinion...
Old 08-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #132
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
I'll put the velcro flap down so water can't get through there. Do you think there will be too much heat build up with the ESC?
Does that Lipo-mobile have a spool or a one-way in the front?

What's it roll's out?
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #133
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamButter View Post
This is true, however Lithium is a highly combustible element. Unlike Sodium and Chlorine that are used to make table salt. Neither of those base elements are highly volatile in their "normal" state. I agree that when mixed with another element you can reduce the volatility, however you are starting from a dangerous base. This is simply my opinion...
Compared with other alkali metals, sodium is generally less reactive than potassium and more so than lithium. - from Wikipedia. Like I said, anything can become stable. Whether or not it remains useful in that form is a different question.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #134
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Product: Dynam Bell 47G RTF Helicopter

Product Page: http://dynam-rc.com/products/helicopter/bell47g.htm

Instruction Manual: http://dynam-rc.com/download/bell47g-out.pdf

Parts List: http://dynam-rc.com/products/helicop...ll47g-part.htm

Battery: 7.4V 800mAh Li-Po

Where did that charger come from? Was it included in the kit?
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #135
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer View Post
Does that Lipo-mobile have a spool or a one-way in the front?

What's it roll's out?
Stop asking so many technical questions, I do offroad. Look, you buying it or not? No need to kick the tires.