R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #121
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I just hope there is a durable choice for beginners amongst the rubber tire makers. Nothing more frustrating then to be new and burn through tires while you are still learning to drive. My biggest complaint with Sorex (and it sounds like some of the Jaco's might be the same way) is you have to nail the setup to get good use of them. Unfortunately how many sets do you go through trying to find that right setup. It can drive people from the hobby quickly and thats the last thing we need. I look forward with cautious optimism on what is up next. I also look forward to the non-dish rims!
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #122
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
My only comment is get over it. The guy is working on it. As for the CS27's it ain't going to happen! So get some glue and quit whinning about the problem.
Since no of you were around when we first started Controlled tires you don't know how good we have it now- regardless.Every has to deal with the same problem!
People have the right to express their concerns when it comes to not getting what they payed for (weather the vendor agrees or not). There is an old saying, the squeaky wheel gets the grease)...so get out the lube gun. (sounds like they are). Anyway...sitting back and "dealing with it" at the consumer level just means more of the same.

Just because everyone deals with it doesn't make it OK. If everyone had to rewind their new motor, or re-lube they're new bearings, or re-solder their new ESC would that be OK? By comparison there is little difference IMO.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #123
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

HTML Code:
I wonder what would happen if an R/C company tried sponsoring nobody, and instead kept their prices lower since they didn't have to offset all the discounted/free stuff they gave away. Hmm...
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #124
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Just deal with it? Hahahahahahahahahaha...

Hold on...

Hahahahahahahhahaha...

Can you hear me laughing from across the country?

Consumers drive the market. I'm extremely willing to provide feedback on products I PAY FOR. Just deal with it. Whatever. Nobody needs to be coddled, this is business.

Deep down, I hope Jack appreciates the feedback from unbiased consumers instead of hearing "oh it's so great Jack" all the time. Every one of these threads has someone pop in to tell them how great things are, and it's so obvious they're just trying to win brownie points that I actually LOL when I see them.

You want honest feedback on your products? Ask people that don't care if what they say is upsetting. The truth might hurt, but at least you know where you really stand. Getting your feedback from people paid to keep you happy is never going to tell the whole story.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #125
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
I just want my Prismed wheeled rubber tires!

After that, as long as they don't completely fall apart when I'm running them, I'll be satisfied!
that's what i'm saying!
LOW ET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #126
Gravity RC

Hi Everyone: I Just read this whole thread. I definately understand Almost everyones opinions on the issues. I have had the chance to run the jaco Rubbers on a few different ocations and tracks. i have raced on tracks where i think that the Rubbers are a great tire and i could not amagine a better spec tire, and recently i have run them on tracks where i have seen alot of the same issues that this thread speaks of. I also beleive (Like Jack) that alot of the issues have to do with the wheel. back in the day (before spec tires) it was absolutely insane how much a wheel mattered in the consistent performance of a tire, at the time i raced for losi and we would Literally have 5 different kinds of wheels at our disposal to run at any time, and those were only the wheels that we brought to the races because we knew that they were the better of all on the market. It was crazy. Obviously this explination does nothing fore those of you who have raced on serfaces where the product struggle's. I personally did the testing for Jaco Before the Vegas race (the introduction of the tire) and had no problems with the tires Atall and gave them My stamp of approval, and i thought they worked great at that race. So I Promise you all that this is Not a case of Jaco trying to throw a shit product at you and thinking you will love it "just because its Jaco". That is not how they run things...
That being said I am confident that this will be resolved in the very near future. And i will be assisting Jaco in solving the problems specifically for the serfaces where it is needed.

sincerely
paul lemieux

Last edited by Paul L; 02-29-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: aranged some words for clarification
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #127
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

No offence when I say this but maybe a part of the problem is that you tested them.

I understand that a big part of testing is making sure the tyres work and there's probably very few who would be better for that part of the job.

However, another big part of testing should be to make sure they can stand up to the regular abuse of club drivers. While I'm sure you do regular club racing, you're probably not the kind of racer who has the brain meltdowns that the rest of us do while racing which result in broken wheels.

I can't say whether Jack gave some pre-production tyres out to some regular racers to do some testing but I suspect he didn't because if he did, he might have been more loathe to put the JACO name on them.

Personally, I can't complain about the performance of the tyres, just the weakness of the wheels. While I'm glad there are efforts in place to fix this, that doesn't help the racers that are stuck using them now as a spec tyre. Luckily that's not me.

The Prizms foams are kick ass though. Thumbs up to JACO for them.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #128
Tech Lord

Thanks Paul, it's really cool that you get on here and talk with the unwashed masses.

I LOVE the Prism wheel! I'm very curious to see how it holds up on rubber tires. I can't complain about the performance of the tires either, they seem fine when things are working well. Maybe a new rim (and insert?) will be all it takes? It does seem like the air gap is pretty huge.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #129
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default PM

Jack you have a PM
lidebt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #130
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Thanks Paul, it's really cool that you get on here and talk with the unwashed masses.

I LOVE the Prism wheel! I'm very curious to see how it holds up on rubber tires. I can't complain about the performance of the tires either, they seem fine when things are working well. Maybe a new rim (and insert?) will be all it takes? It does seem like the air gap is pretty huge.
Wait, didn't you say in another thread that you quit racing foams because of the Prism?
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #131
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Wait, didn't you say in another thread that you quit racing foams because of the Prism?
Eh, all the big wheel foams kinda turned me off to foams in the end. I think I was just tired of that style of racing in general though.

I was just talking about the wheels in this case, though. I think the Prisms look great, and have never broken one. I'd like to see some rubber tires on those wheels. I think they look outstanding.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #132
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Eh, all the big wheel foams kinda turned me off to foams in the end. I think I was just tired of that style of racing in general though.

I was just talking about the wheels in this case, though. I think the Prisms look great, and have never broken one. I'd like to see some rubber tires on those wheels. I think they look outstanding.
+1
LOW ET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #133
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default spec tire racing

I have a question: would it be feasible to make a spec tire who's carcass is 1.5x thicker, and who's rim is also thicker? With more rubber, the tire would last longer and wouldn't deform as much under high traction situations. The same would theoretically be true for the rim.

I understand that this would mean that less tires would be sold, and god forbid they would probably give a little less traction, but ultimately, a longer lasting, more durable tire would be better for the "spec" racing part of the hobby. I also realize that a thicker tire would be heavier, but with the added torque of brushless motors, this shouldn't be an issue. If smc truly doesn't make any money from rubber tires, there would be no harm in making a longer lasting, more durable tire, right?????

As for the first run of tires at the coliseum in maryland, I personally saw shredded tires after 2 runs because the carcasses on the tires were simply too thin (I looked at a shredded tire.) If seems to me that a thin tire deforms much more easily and is much more prone to tearing than a thicker tire.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #134
Tech Regular

i used jaco greens for the first time recently as a spec tire. i'm glad to report that despite some hard crashes, i did not break a wheel. and i hit the boards hard enough to break a c-hub once, and an upright another! and the edges didn't come unglued either. i guess i got lucky on the sets i got?

one gripe is that each tire is 5grams heavier than the tires i am used to using. hopefully the prism wheels will improve on that.
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #135
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
i used jaco greens for the first time recently as a spec tire. i'm glad to report that despite some hard crashes, i did not break a wheel. and i hit the boards hard enough to break a c-hub once, and an upright another! and the edges didn't come unglued either. i guess i got lucky on the sets i got?

one gripe is that each tire is 5grams heavier than the tires i am used to using. hopefully the prism wheels will improve on that.
Have you contacted the manufacturer of the C-hub or upright to complain? Better yet, did you get on their thread and tell them their stuff is crap like some people do on here? I didn't think so.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote