R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #61
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Darkseid....the point of using a pre-mount is to take away any of the tire, rim and or insert wars that we saw before the pre-mounts became the norm. To re-glue a set of premounts is fairly common if you poll most racers I would say that about 85% know to do this with regularity....maybe you have been lucky and not needed to do it that often.
I guess I have been lucky then. Cause I've been running Take-Offs pre-mounts since they first came out(thats a lot of years), and can only remember having to re-glue one, maybe two tires...seriously! Not sets....individual tires! And that was always on sets that had several runs on them back in the days of the Cross rims.

Now if I could get some of that luck to carry over to other aspects of my racing I'd be all set.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #62
Regional Moderator

Jack Rimer: with the new tires, are you guys going to be keeping the large air gap like the current tires have? The air gap in other tires such as Take-Offs(RIP) and Sorex are much smaller, and those seem to suffer less from overheating in high traction situations.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Jack Rimer: with the new tires, are you guys going to be keeping the large air gap like the current tires have? The air gap in other tires such as Take-Offs(RIP) and Sorex are much smaller, and those seem to suffer less from overheating in high traction situations.

Thanks
Im not Jack(lol) but from my experience with rubber tires and playing with inserts is that the more air gap you have the cooler the tire will run. I think its because it lets the air inside the tire move around more and cool off. When you have a tire that has less air gap once the insert heats up that traps all the heat in the tire and makes it over heat. So me personally I would rather see more air gap then less. I dont think that the Jaco tires are over heating in high bite because of the air gap. I think its because we are using too soft of compound. I think that we need to be using the Blue compound more then the Green. The Green compound seems to run and feel like a 22 or 24 tire and wears and acts the same way. The Blue compound seems to act more like a 27 and 30 and to me feels closer to the RP30's and CS27's then the Green's do. This is just what I have seen with the tires and how they work on carpet.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #64
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

The problem I run into with the large air gap is the car feels less precise. With less of an airgap the immediately feels more stable and precise.

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #65
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
I dont think that the Jaco tires are over heating in high bite because of the air gap. I think its because we are using too soft of compound. I think that we need to be using the Blue compound more then the Green. The Green compound seems to run and feel like a 22 or 24 tire and wears and acts the same way. The Blue compound seems to act more like a 27 and 30 and to me feels closer to the RP30's and CS27's then the Green's do. This is just what I have seen with the tires and how they work on carpet.
Hmm....

Well that would require some rethinking of our clubs spec tire. Which, since Take Offs is dead, will already be something thats we're going to have to deal with.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

yeah after tim posted jaco blue is very close to rp 30s i would really like to give them a shot
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #67
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
yeah after tim posted jaco blue is very close to rp 30s i would really like to give them a shot
Yeah after early running with these tires I have said the greens are too soft but thats what was thrown down as the standard. Maybe now people will take notice and try the blues and then maybe they wont have the Jaco "blues"...hahaha This all doesnt really matter if Jaco is going to come out with a new compound anyway....lets just hope the new compound is harder then the green so it last longer.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #68
Tech Apprentice

Where did ya buy JACO rubber tires? Are these like their old capped tires?
WingZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #69
Tech Apprentice

A question for Jaco:

If there's talk of a new tire compound, what will be run at the Nats? The old compound, or a new compound?
I ask this because Horizon and Great Planes are currently out of stock of the Jaco Greens. Does this mean a new tire will be available before the Nats or unveiled at the Nats?
thehobbyshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #70
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Dont know if its just me...but i've tried the Jaco green rubber tires for the past 6 weeks on asphalt racing in South Florida, and they lasted 23 six minute runs after they began to rip- exellent wear...
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #71
Tech Rookie

Does any one know where you can get Jaco greens. I can't seem to find them anywhere.
frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #72
Tech Fanatic

Greens will be the tire for the Nats. We just shipped another large batch to all the distributors today. They should be arriving in shops next week.

Our new compound will be tested more over the coming months. It will not be used at the Nats. Unfortunately, we will not have the new wheels either, so the tires you have now or buy now will be the same as what is used at the ROAR Nats. (I say "unfortunately" because I can't wait to see the rubber tires mounted on the new wheels).
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #73
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
(I say "unfortunately" because I can't wait to see the rubber tires mounted on the new wheels).
Ditto...

But that "tested over the coming months" thing has me kinda down. I was hoping there would be a time frame sometime soon.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #74
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Ditto...

But that "tested over the coming months" thing has me kinda down. I was hoping there would be a time frame sometime soon.
Ya I agree, but more testing means a better tire
Old 02-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #75
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
Greens will be the tire for the Nats. We just shipped another large batch to all the distributors today. They should be arriving in shops next week.

Our new compound will be tested more over the coming months. It will not be used at the Nats. Unfortunately, we will not have the new wheels either, so the tires you have now or buy now will be the same as what is used at the ROAR Nats. (I say "unfortunately" because I can't wait to see the rubber tires mounted on the new wheels).
The rubber tire market in the US is yours for the taking. I hope the new tires are the shit, I'd love to see some quality spec rubber on nice looking rims. Consistency, longevity and durability. That's why we race rubbers. Do it!
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote