R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Nope, been there and done that. Now if I got foams for free or at a very deep discount like a lot of people are I would give it another try.
How's $10/pair sound?
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...umb=on&smode=0
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 AM   #47
Tech Adept

I know this is a little off topic but, has anyone had any problems with cracking the rims of the new Jaco rubber tires. Almost everybody that runs them at the local track, including myself, has had issues with them cracking, everybody from the beginners to the top guys have had a problem. I've never had a problem with other brands before, just Jaco's. I'm just wondering if this problem is isolated to the track I race at or if it's more wide spread.
_pilot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:21 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've had major rim cracking too. I bought 2 sets. Eventually had to build 1 set from those 2. Now I'm down to 2 good wheels. I know, stay off the boards or whatever. But some of this cracking is from other car contact. Or just simple slight slapping into the outer walls. I would like to see a wheel like what the RP's were mounted on. More flexible. These kind of remind me of some of the Takeoff rims of a few years ago that would just break clean off at the hub. I think the Jaco tire itself will be a great tire. Just need to work on the rim.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 AM   #49
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

some of the guys here in omaha made the switch to jaco's to prep for the carpet nats and I saw a couple cracked rims as well
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:06 AM   #50
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys, I will try to answer a few questions that have been asked.
1) Our wheels do break much too easily. Currently, we buy the tires already assembled and ready to go. In the coming months, we will be transitioning the assembly process to our own facility. In addition, we will be switching to our own Prism style wheel for all the rubber tires. This wheel will be much more durable. All the mounting and glueing will be done in-house in order to eliminate out of round or inadequately glued tires.
2) Our current supplier does not seem to be able to keep up with production as well as we would like, but it is getting a little better. Since communication is difficult because of the language barrier, it is hard for me to get direct answers to my questions about potential shortages in the future. We get a steady supply, but not enough to keep a huge inventory. I think when we start buying rubber only and assembling the tires over here, turn around times will improve.
3) In an effort to be proactive, we have secured another source of tires that uses a different rubber material. We are currently testing these tires and have been very pleased with the results so far. If we start using these, we will be able to eliminate any future shortages. We won't replace the current tires, but we may have a single compound that we introduce to test the waters.

I just want everyone to know that we are constantly looking for ways to improve our products. Each year we make changes to our foam tire line that nobody knows about or realizes. All of these changes result in a more durable, cost effective product for the consumer. When we have more control over the whole process, we will incorporate these same improvements to our rubber tires.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Prizm wheel....sounds great.

The spoked wheel look more to scale and will be stronger...what is better than that!

Every one has been super happy with the new jaco foam products at Rcmadness...keep up the good work.

Cheers

Jamie
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #52
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
In addition, we will be switching to our own Prism style wheel for all the rubber tires. This wheel will be much more durable.
I know more than a few people that will be VERY happy to hear that news, Jack. Smart move.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #53
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My driving has become more consistent since changing to the Jaco rubbers because I know that if I hit a wall, I'll break the rim so I drive more carefully and am more consistent because of it.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #54
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
We just wanted to set our stuff apart from the pack.
Then get to work on those Prism wheeled rubber pre-mounts. That'll set them apart more than any color coding.

I know...I know...its in the works, I'm just messing with you.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:45 AM   #55
Regional Moderator

Quote:
In addition, we will be switching to our own Prism style wheel for all the rubber tires. This wheel will be much more durable.
Whoo...hooo.... Now thats what I'm talking about!
Old 02-01-2008, 06:49 AM   #56
Regional Moderator

And before you guys jump on the original poster, NO, its not "common knowledge" to re-glue pre-mounts. I've been using pre-mounts for a long....LONG time, and as anyone can see, I've been on the boards for a long...LONG time, and I've never even heard anyone mention it before. So "common knowledge", I don't think so...

Also, can someone tell me what the point of using "pre-mounts" is, if everyone says to expect to have to re-glue tires anyway? Seems kind a pointless.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:02 AM   #57
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
My driving has become more consistent since changing to the Jaco rubbers because I know that if I hit a wall, I'll break the rim so I drive more carefully and am more consistent because of it.
Thats funny.....

Jack....Its encouraging to hear you say all that.....the tires can only get better from here. After the Novak race and everything that went on with the tires it will be a welcomed change....now I just feel sorry for the guys at the ROAR nats.....good luck with that if they dont get any improvement in the tires by then.

Darkseid....the point of using a pre-mount is to take away any of the tire, rim and or insert wars that we saw before the pre-mounts became the norm. To re-glue a set of premounts is fairly common if you poll most racers I would say that about 85% know to do this with regularity....maybe you have been lucky and not needed to do it that often.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jaz406
Default BEAD RESEAL

I have to reglue the bead on my cs27s and Jaco's with regularity. I can tell when they are coming loose and usually it's too late so I check them between rounds.

Makes the car more consistent, and when traction picks up, our local guys even apply ca to sidewalls for less grip/side bite.

Last edited by Jaz406; 02-01-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Jaz406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:20 AM   #59
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Spoked rims? SOUNDS GOOD! John's BSR has switched to them for their foam tires and the cars look so much better. Was hoping we would see the same with rubber tires.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #60
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Damn, I'm gonna have to say something nice..

Prism wheels? Improved tires? Today, I love you guys. :-)

Jack, there's been some talk that the insert used in the tires might be a source of inconsistency between sets. A number of people have experienced one set of new tires being faster than another set of new tires. Do you think the changes you mentioned will help with this?

With the demise of Take-Off, and some uncertainty about what's being brought in to replace it, a domestic source of quality spec tires would be very welcome. Rubber tire racing is starting to get really popular here in the states, so the last thing it needs right now is tire drama to slow it down.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote