R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-18-2007, 03:59 AM   #1
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Pre-Race Jitters? Or just nuckin futts?

This thread has been composed in a timeline type format to keep things simple. Why you ask? Well, for starters I'm far from being a litterary marvel, and at 3am simple is good...

So about a week ago it all started. Its the same every time I'm looking forward to a "big race", but for this case specificly it started about a week ago.

Seven days until time to leave: The "big race" is a full week away. Ive still got this weekends race in front of me, yet next weekends race is all I can think about.

-Is it the added competion, or something else?-

Five days until time to leave: Last weekends race is behind me now. I did well, but big deal, now it's time to get ready for the next one. Ive got close to a full week of prep work to do and I'm itchin to get started.

-Is it the road trip ahead, or someting else?-

Three days until time to leave: Ive wrenched on everything I've got. Now what? Tommorrow I'll do some packing. It never hurts to start packing early. Don't want to show up without a transmitter or something like that!

-Is it the unfamiliar faces I may or may not be standing next to on the drivers stand, or something else?-

Two days until time to leave: I got everything packed today, and then I unpacked some of it only to pack it again in a little more efficient manner. Oh, I know, I'll make a couple new charge adapter plugs or wire up something new just incase there is some sort of charging emergency or some sort of other unforeseen situation! Whew! I sure hope I can get some sleep tonight.

-Is it just the challenge of being pepared to face the unforeseen, or something else?-

One Day until time to leave: I didn't sleep very well last night. Thoughts of racing were running-a-muck in my head all night. Oh well, gotta call the fellas. Is everyone else prepared? Of course they are, they have been calling all week checking in with each other. Does everyone know what time we are leaving? Of course they do, I've been threatening to leave them behind if they are late since last week sometime. I think I'd better run back down to the hobby shop to pick up a few last minute "just-in-case" items, just in case.

-Is it just the sure enjoyment a man gets from hagin out and harassing his buddys, or something else?-

It's 11pm, only six hours until time to leave. Time for bed. I realy need to get some sleep. Yeah right, I can never get good sleep the night before the "big race". Maybe tonight will be different.

-What if I forgot to get something ready, or is it something else?-

12am, 5 hours to go. I'm not the least bit sleepy, and my head is racing with thoughts of racing.

-Is it the racing, or something else?-

1am, 4 hours to go. Man I should have taken something to make me sleepy. To late now though, if I take something, I'll never wake up one time to leave on time. I can't be late or I'll catch hell form they guys. I hate to get up early, oh well it will be worth it.

-Is it the track chicks? Not around hear, its definitely something else.-

2am, 3 hours to go. At this point I'm beginning to scold myself: Seriously, they are just toy cars! What the hell?

-Is it the chance to earn something that the others could not, or something else?-

3am, 2 hours to go. To late to go to sleep now, I think. Did I fall asleep? I guess I'll go ahead and get up. I really do like to sleep, it just wasn't in the cards for me tonight I suppose.

-Is it the thought of doing well and then being able to say, "hey I kicked ass", or something else.-

4:45am its about time to go. Ive been on RC Tech for almost two hours. The fellas should be here any time now. My hands are claming up just thinking of getting on the drivers stand. My eyes are tired.
I should have gotten some sleep!

-What ever it is, I cant wait until next time.-

5am gotta go...
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:45 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

after reading that i'm glad i don't get very nervous at all. hope you do/did well!
Old 08-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88
Default b

Im good until the announcer starts yapping positions. Then I get the wandering eyes.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
This thread has been composed in a timeline type format to keep things simple. Why you ask? Well, for starters I'm far from being a litterary marvel, and at 3am simple is good...

So about a week ago it all started. Its the same every time I'm looking forward to a "big race", but for this case specificly it started about a week ago.

Seven days until time to leave: The "big race" is a full week away. Ive still got this weekends race in front of me, yet next weekends race is all I can think about.

-Is it the added competion, or something else?-

Five days until time to leave: Last weekends race is behind me now. I did well, but big deal, now it's time to get ready for the next one. Ive got close to a full week of prep work to do and I'm itchin to get started.

-Is it the road trip ahead, or someting else?-

Three days until time to leave: Ive wrenched on everything I've got. Now what? Tommorrow I'll do some packing. It never hurts to start packing early. Don't want to show up without a transmitter or something like that!

-Is it the unfamiliar faces I may or may not be standing next to on the drivers stand, or something else?-

Two days until time to leave: I got everything packed today, and then I unpacked some of it only to pack it again in a little more efficient manner. Oh, I know, I'll make a couple new charge adapter plugs or wire up something new just incase there is some sort of charging emergency or some sort of other unforeseen situation! Whew! I sure hope I can get some sleep tonight.

-Is it just the challenge of being pepared to face the unforeseen, or something else?-

One Day until time to leave: I didn't sleep very well last night. Thoughts of racing were running-a-muck in my head all night. Oh well, gotta call the fellas. Is everyone else prepared? Of course they are, they have been calling all week checking in with each other. Does everyone know what time we are leaving? Of course they do, I've been threatening to leave them behind if they are late since last week sometime. I think I'd better run back down to the hobby shop to pick up a few last minute "just-in-case" items, just in case.

-Is it just the sure enjoyment a man gets from hagin out and harassing his buddys, or something else?-

It's 11pm, only six hours until time to leave. Time for bed. I realy need to get some sleep. Yeah right, I can never get good sleep the night before the "big race". Maybe tonight will be different.

-What if I forgot to get something ready, or is it something else?-

12am, 5 hours to go. I'm not the least bit sleepy, and my head is racing with thoughts of racing.

-Is it the racing, or something else?-

1am, 4 hours to go. Man I should have taken something to make me sleepy. To late now though, if I take something, I'll never wake up one time to leave on time. I can't be late or I'll catch hell form they guys. I hate to get up early, oh well it will be worth it.

-Is it the track chicks? Not around hear, its definitely something else.-

2am, 3 hours to go. At this point I'm beginning to scold myself: Seriously, they are just toy cars! What the hell?

-Is it the chance to earn something that the others could not, or something else?-

3am, 2 hours to go. To late to go to sleep now, I think. Did I fall asleep? I guess I'll go ahead and get up. I really do like to sleep, it just wasn't in the cards for me tonight I suppose.

-Is it the thought of doing well and then being able to say, "hey I kicked ass", or something else.-

4:45am its about time to go. Ive been on RC Tech for almost two hours. The fellas should be here any time now. My hands are claming up just thinking of getting on the drivers stand. My eyes are tired.
I should have gotten some sleep!

-What ever it is, I cant wait until next time.-

5am gotta go...
you either need more bran in your diet....or 10 mg of xanax...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry View Post
you either need more bran in your diet....or 10 mg of xanax...
Well, I haven't tried the bran yet.

Last edited by mrrcguy; 08-20-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
Regional Moderator

Default Share your jitters.

By the way, the main reason I started this thread was to see what other drivers have experienced. So share those stories fellas. Just actual experiences with jitters though please.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I get them until it starts...then I am godd...that is until the announcer calls my name and tells me I am chasing down the leader...then...WHAMO...pipe time.
rcarmchl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I only get the jitters when I'm winning.

Never happens.

I used to get them, some sort of adrenaline I guess.?
Then I just got to where I know my potential and I try not to exceed it.
I've heard the pros drive 90% of there potential. I cant help but try to drive 110%. I guess thats what they mean buy over driving.?
Over the years I just gotten to where I take a deep breath, Go fast, and try not to crash.

In stock racing I try to over drive. In Mod I try to under drive. Maybe thats the difference between the pros and the amateurs.?
They usually run mod.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I always get nervous when I put my car on the track before a race/qualifier and I am not sure how my car will handle. The first 2 laps either increase my nervousness or stop it all together because I see how my car handles. I also get very nervous when the announcer calls my pace and says if I am in the lead or going to catch the leader. That throws me off big time, since suddenly I want to apex the corners dangerously close and normally I will crash, but lately I have worked on it so I will cut the corners tight, but if I clip a wall I can tone it down.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

i usually get the jitters in the drive to the track

the closer i get the worse they get
its even worse when i roll in the pits with my stuff i always feel like im running late when i roll in and the pits are full even tho im there 4 hours befor the 1st heat.

When im chasing someon im the most focused i hit my marks every lap and stay right on that guys tail till the time is right

But when im in front i get the jitters and my hands tense up and catch myself watching second place more then my own car but somehow manage to keep the car out of the wall.

Once the main comes around im very calm but as soon at they call one minut till the start my mind is running alover the place "did i tighten the wheels , did i check the pinion, should i hve changed the gear, ect.ect"

Then the tone goes off im one of the first 2 to move but unfortunitly i never make it throught the first lap without wrecking(most of the time by myself) then i spend the rest of the race playing catchup with no luck
Alex "ACE" Kubilus
ACE design works
RaceAce701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #11
Tech Addict

when i race in the main or when im racing really good in a qualifier my legs shake and my eyes start to get teary.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerOwenby View Post
when i race in the main or when im racing really good in a qualifier my legs shake and my eyes start to get teary.
I heard eye drops will keep the eyes from drying or tearing.? I haven't tried it yet.
My eyes start watering half way threw the race. Just gotta blink HUH.?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
I heard eye drops will keep the eyes from drying or tearing.? I haven't tried it yet.
My eyes start watering half way threw the race. Just gotta blink HUH.?
BLINK! blinking is for loser's but yea ive driven many heats with one eye.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:40 AM   #14
Tech Champion

I get nervous sometimes, if im starting high up in the grid I dont tend to make good starts and on the first or second corner I get taken out, im then (usually) last but I respond well to pressure as the simple attitude is "if I can qualify well I can race well too".

Some people will try and get the jump on me too off the line, it can be risky though and not something I will do - if you try to predict when the buzzer goes you could jump start and get a penalty

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #15
Regional Moderator

Default What about sleep loss.

I have not heard any of you mention having trouble sleeping the night before or after the event. Am I alone on that one or what?