R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-05-2001, 05:20 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to t-d-motorsports
Default Screw kits for Associated TC3 Sedan

I would like to get some feedback on different types of screw kits for the TC3. Right now we are developing a standard kit with 4-40 flat head and button head screws. It will consist of a 12.9 grade alloy steel black oxide screw for now. We are researching good suppliers of aluminum and titanium, but the alloy steel would be the most affordable kit. My main question is if there would be enough demand for the alloy steel for a touring car. Thanks in advance for any input.
t-d-motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 12:18 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Default Re: Screw kits for Associated TC3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by t-d-motorsports
I would like to get some feedback on different types of screw kits for the TC3. Right now we are developing a standard kit with 4-40 flat head and button head screws. It will consist of a 12.9 grade alloy steel black oxide screw for now. We are researching good suppliers of aluminum and titanium, but the alloy steel would be the most affordable kit. My main question is if there would be enough demand for the alloy steel for a touring car. Thanks in advance for any input.
More than steel alloy (the stock screws that come with the TC3 are steel), you must research on Aluminium alloys / Avional or simmilar, maybe a titanium screwset can be good if durability is fine (my blue Al screwset is so much eroded, due to the friction with the pavement, and usually I need to change the screws from the underchassis two times at year).

Maybe I cannot be a good example of duration of screwsets (my 'normal' runs on a year with the TC3, should be about 1000 packs).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 12:52 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Default Screw kit layouts

We are hoping for the following kits if the vendors come through for us.

Standard kit - Steel alloy - Super strong, black, more affordable, and a good general purpose replacement kit.

Aluminum kit - Aluminum alloy for lightweight, and a moderate price tag.

Titanium - Speaks for itself. Super strong, light, but super expensive.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:11 PM   #4
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I know I, and a lot of other guys, would love to see some titanium 4-40 sized screws. Kits for the TC3 and XXX-S would be quite popular.

Is it possible? I don't think anybody else in the US is making them right now.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:36 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Lightbulb

What I would like to see is that some screws to be Titanium, ( like the screws for the brackets (TC3), as aluminium would not be very useful there) and some of the other non-breakable (hopefully) screw areas, like the bulkhead screws, were they can be super light, ie aluminium, or some lighter material.

I would rather have the screws in a variety of colours, like red or green, rather than the boring ol' blue , its just too common, and doesn't make your car feel special.

If you have seen the Umino TC3, you would find that it is more attractive than the normal Pavidis TC3.

It might cost alot but it would sure be a HOT buy, and if I was to buy some whowhoo I would be pleased about how my car looks.
Yokomo Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 04:28 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Default Titanium

If I don't see some of my quotes start coming back tomorrow, I am going to try and call the vendors to see how they are coming. All I need is some base prices to see if it is feasable or not.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:51 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

T-D-M- will the titanium be phillips head or allen head flat screws? It's realy not hard to find the phillips head screws, but the good allen heads are hard to find. As far as the steel screws, the TC3 comes from the factory with steel, and they wear very little, so I don't think there would be uch demand for them. And the aluminum ones are readily available from AE though they are a little expensive. However, you can bet people will still buy them from AE unless yours are a LOT cheaper.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but I would hate to see you invest in something that has low demand. But don't take my word for it, cause I don't know sheeeite.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 05:21 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Default Screw types

Our main kits are the T-Maxx and E-maxx due to the popularity, and that fact that they get tore down every other day. A lot of the hop-ups use SAE sizes like the AE models, so that is where I am getting the steel ones from. As far as the heads, we currently offer everything in hex head only, as the phillips are absolutely worthless for the most part. We could get some security screws, then you don't have to worry about anyone ever taking your car apart. LOL
Old 12-05-2001, 05:52 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

I would buy a set of Titanium Screws for the XXX-S if you can get them. I have looked and all I can find are metric. I had one place that could only get the button-head in 4-40 but it was too short for anything on my Car. Mostly I would convert all the socket head screws on my car to button head. ie, Shock Towers screws, Shock holder Screws (Tower and Arms) battery strap holders and so forth.

Mike Webb
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 06:04 PM   #10
R/C Tech Founder

BigDog: Right, I was talking about titanium hex 4-40 screws, I think there is a definite demand for them. Phillips head screws are junk in this hobby, and there's no real point in making more steel screws since there are already a ton of them out there. Anodized aluminum MAYBE, but only if the price point was significantly below what's already out there, or if a really good assortment could be put together.

t-d: If you're interested, we could come up with a list of all the screw sizes on the XXX-S. I could name at least five or six people right off the top of my head that would buy such a kit. As mike_Webb said, you can only find them in metric sizes these days...
Old 12-05-2001, 06:35 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

Of course being realistic I would only pay say 35-40 for a set of titanium Screws... I will go through my Manual tonight and list what I want...maybe you have someone that can help us out. I was going to convert to Metric in the shock towers fron and rear and that is it... I would leave the Shock Mounts to the Arm and the Tower Steel.

Mike
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 08:25 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Default Prices

That would depend on how many screws you want in the kit. Right now most of our kits are from 150 up to 250 pieces. They include all the oddball sizes though that are hard to find, like the tiny 2mm differential screws in Traxxas. 35-40 might be a possibility depending on the qty of general sizes in the kit.