R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #31
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
blacked out revo-maxamps rock! you sold your lipos? why? did you go 5 cell on us?

There not grate, Flight Power are the best money can buy

My 5k 25C packs will put out 2 times the runtime of a max amps 6k pack.... They cost more, but are alot better

And no, I bash with lipos, Havent tired racing them
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:04 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Do they use kokam cells? this is strictly about kokam/orion cells. Not to mention, that disclaimer more than likely came out before MRC installed the upgrade which I have spoke about rather extensively throughout this thread. Did you not see where I typed," the 977 charges to 8.28 for 2s2p and shuts off automatically". If you attempt to peak, the highest it goes will be 8.3 volts. trust me, I have tried to get to 8.4, aint happening. Everyone knows that manufacturers are slow when it comes to updating those "general q&a" sections. Nice try.

All my orion/peak 3200's (I have 5) peak to 8.401 to 8.403 everytime.

Why do you think someone is always trying to get over on you? Your posts are everywhere, and you are always on the defensive at some point in a thread.
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:44 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking

So, the MRC chargers do not charge @ a constant voltage/constant current? Does it just run to peak and shut off?

I've done some research on the units after I bought a 969 from the LHS, @ that time I didn't see a whole lotta people running lipo's. But within a couple months I started hearing the horrific stories of the fabled MRC chargers. Even the LHS owner had one explode on his kitchen floor!! (I dont think it made his wife too happy either ) BUT...I have not had any issues with charging a maxamps 8000, and have been doing so for approx. 2 years. Still going strong.. Mine also had a sheet of paper inside that said that this charger could now be used for lipo's. I see earlier that I must have been a "re-chipped" charger. I was to believe that the reason the early chargers did not work correctly was because there was only a capacity charge option for the lipo's. Which meant that if you did not discharge your battery every time, (which I wouldn't recommend with lipo) than you probably really didn't know how much to put back into your pack.. I just figured that people were overcharging their packs. simple enough.

One thing that I would like to add though is the MRC charger fan died in the first 6 months, and one of the buttons would not register. The company helped with the situation very little. Told me that I was better off changing the fan myself. Any others have a problem like this??

All in all I have had years of solid use from my supa brain, just wanted to let some know that the ol' ones worked too.
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
There not grate, Flight Power are the best money can buy

Didnt say they were the best, but pound for pound, Maxamps gives people an excellent alternative at not the higest of prices.

My 5k 25C packs will put out 2 times the runtime of a max amps 6k pack.... They cost more, but are alot better

And no, I bash with lipos, Havent tired racing them
Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post
All my orion/peak 3200's (I have 5) peak to 8.401 to 8.403 everytime.

Why do you think someone is always trying to get over on you? Your posts are everywhere, and you are always on the defensive at some point in a thread.
Convikt, in reference to speaking about the 977 and someone asking about peak detection, I said that it has circuitry that prevents it from going any higher. Nothing to do with orion, I spoke of what I have experienced with my charger and maxamps lipos. Simply stating that MRC has in fact, upgraded their charging circuitry that has the 90% threshold already installed, not whether anyone can make it to 8.4 or not. I spoke about something I have seen directly, and he quoted something not in reference to neither topic I was discussing initially. I get defensive because dummies like YOU come in to something half way into a conversation to make a statement and then try to put someone on blast. SIMP. Yes, my post are everywhere, dont like it, dont read em. There are MANY people that post in many threads, so if you are going to single me out, and dont like it, the ignore button is there for a reason.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Convikt, in reference to speaking about the 977 and someone asking about peak detection, I said that it has circuitry that prevents it from going any higher. Nothing to do with orion, I spoke of what I have experienced with my charger and maxamps lipos. Simply stating that MRC has in fact, upgraded their charging circuitry that has the 90% threshold already installed, not whether anyone can make it to 8.4 or not. I spoke about something I have seen directly, and he quoted something not in reference to neither topic I was discussing initially. I get defensive because dummies like YOU come in to something half way into a conversation to make a statement and then try to put someone on blast. SIMP. Yes, my post are everywhere, dont like it, dont read em. There are MANY people that post in many threads, so if you are going to single me out, and dont like it, the ignore button is there for a reason.
I agree max apms for budget! They are nice, But they just dont put out the numbers they say.... For us guys here running them in TC's it wouldnt matter... But I run them in E revo's BL truggys ETC, and those need GOOD specs

If I was to race them in TC, Id use track powers hard cased gold packs, track power is flight power, so thats why id take those...
Old 08-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #36
Tech Master

Blacked out revo, seems you have some intense knowledge of lipos..I am looking to run lipo in my Pro3 and Maxamps 6000's are slightly to big. The reason I started this thread is to find an alternative to what I own. Let me know something.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Blacked out revo, seems you have some intense knowledge of lipos..I am looking to run lipo in my Pro3 and Maxamps 6000's are slightly to big. The reason I started this thread is to find an alternative to what I own. Let me know something.
In a pro 4... Hmm

Well I know track powers fit into cyclones (Someone on another fourm runs that batt, the track power gold 4900 mah hard case pack)

What runtime are you looking to get?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #38
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
In a pro 4... Hmm

Well I know track powers fit into cyclones (Someone on another fourm runs that batt, the track power gold 4900 mah hard case pack)

What runtime are you looking to get?
No, Pro3. The Maxamps 6000 is a gnats hair too wide and a mouse whisker too long. I figured the Team Orion 3200 would be an excellent pack because of its design but right before I ordered, I saw the disclaimer. This is what prompted me to start this thread. The Maxamps in my Pro4, competively speaking, I go hard for 20 minutes. Just dicking around, I have gotten 35 minutes easy, you know, stop, blast, turn, blast, stop, temp check, yada yada. I was planning on running the Pro3 with a 4.5, but since I have to go down in mah, will probably drop an 8.5 in it. Enough for at least 15 minutes. Thats three heats, maybe with a quick charge in-between.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
No, Pro3. The Maxamps 6000 is a gnats hair too wide and a mouse whisker too long. I figured the Team Orion 3200 would be an excellent pack because of its design but right before I ordered, I saw the disclaimer. This is what prompted me to start this thread. The Maxamps in my Pro4, competively speaking, I go hard for 20 minutes. Just dicking around, I have gotten 35 minutes easy, you know, stop, blast, turn, blast, stop, temp check, yada yada. I was planning on running the Pro3 with a 4.5, but since I have to go down in mah, will probably drop an 8.5 in it. Enough for at least 15 minutes. Thats three heats, maybe with a quick charge in-between.

Opps, that was a typo lol

IDK if the trakpower pack will fit or not.. Specs are on here

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRWF7&P=ML

Is the pack im talking about, Max amps packs are rated for 20C but dont hold that, or there voltage under a load, which in turn heats up the pack, and draws more power, and that turns to less run time

The trakpower is rated at 20C and will ACTUALLY hold that and there rated voltage, which equals less heat, and more runtime... You should be able to get about if not the same runtime with the trakpower

Like one guy was racing with a max amps 4S 8k pack, he switched down to a flight power 25C 3700mah pack, and went to less then half the wieght, more punch, but went from 30 min run times down to 20 min runtimes, with a 60% drop in capacity.... Trakpower is flight power, but the gold hard pack is 20C

BTW, when I looked its spelled trakpower, not track power lol, sorry about that

LMK if you need more info
Old 08-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
First off, I didnt get personal with you, it was a simple question. You, on the other hand, got personal with me. I didnt call you a dummie, or an ass hole, or dick, or any personal attack. I simply asked you a question. So maybe when you come down to earth, you will relize that. Sorry your ego is so important to you
Old 08-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #41
Tech Master

Convikt, name calling means zip mr. sensitive. Not in the mood for trolling for an arguement, so I'm going to leave this piddly banter with you alone. Oh, for the record, I know I am an arrogant prick....never said I wasnt. You calling me a name is pretty much solidifying what I already know.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
Convikt, name calling means zip mr. sensitive. Not in the mood for trolling for an arguement, so I'm going to leave this piddly banter with you alone. Oh, for the record, I know I am an arrogant prick....never said I wasnt. You calling me a name is pretty much solidifying what I already know.