R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jsl6v8
Talking brand Spankin New to the hobby

Howdy, I'm Josh and as the title says, I'm brand spanking new to RC in general, last RC car I had was well over 13 years ago,but I've been doing research and talking to every hobby shop in town for the last week or so, and I have decided that I want to get into 1:10 scale electric touring cars, do mainly to my being new and pricing restraints I will probably end up getting RTR car and upgrade it over time whatever car I do end up getting I plan on upgrading to a brushless fairly soon, as I don't car to be rebuilding motors a couple times a month as I've heard of people who race with brushed motors end up doing, from the research I've done I'm planning on a Novak GTB ESC with lithium cutoff and either a 3.5-5 turn or 11-12 turn equivalant motor, haven't really decided if I want to do probably a 3.5 or 4 turn or a 11 turn equivalant motor, and oo is that extra speed tempting. Been looking at Spektrum radio systems but as I plan on just doing some racing around my street and maybe at the huge parking lot at my work on weekends and not so much into racing just yet as I don't want to make an @$$ of myself on the track, being a beginner and all. So I'll probably just use a simple AM or FM radio till I want to get a bit more serious. I'll probably use nimh till I get used to the car and then upgrade to lithium. The couple RTRs I've been looking at are the Team Associated TC4, a bit worried about the shaft drive though as I know most well pretty much all cars are going belt driven and that the shaft driven tends to slip right a bit at higher speeds, The TC5 looks awesome but I'm not sure I have the upfront cash for a new one, I've also been looking at the Losi XXX-S, just wish it was a 2 belt instead of a single more than anything, and the JRX-S which would be a sweet car but I would want the rear motor mount and once again I hit the cost problem. I've also looked at the Hot Bodies Cyclone S which I like except for the plastic chasis but I don't see as much on them, possibly due to the fact that searching hot bodies in google pops up sites that aren't currently wanted, other than that I've been looking into just getting a chasis as like I've said I plan on replacing most of the electronics anyway and wouldn't mind running a simple radio system for a while, problem with that if finding resonably prices chasis that would make it worth it to me to go that route. Basically from yall, who have actually read through my little thing without hitting the back button, is thoughts and comments, more specifically constructive thoughts and comments.
Thanks in Advance,
Josh

Oh for those of you who are going to ask why RC? My anwer is that All my saltwater fish tanks filled up and I needed a new hobby and I like to go fast.
jsl6v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl6v8 View Post
as I don't car to be rebuilding motors a couple times a month as I've heard of people who race with brushed motors end up doing, from the research I've done I'm planning on a Novak GTB ESC with lithium cutoff and either a 3.5-5 turn or 11-12 turn equivalant motor, haven't really decided if I want to do probably a 3.5 or 4 turn or a 11 turn equivalant motor, and oo is that extra speed tempting.

The best advice I can give you is to buy a stock 27t or a brushless equivalent (13.5) if your local track allows them. Learn to drive without hitting the rails or crashing into other cars. Faster is not always better when you are new.
Johnny9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The RTR TC4 is a good place to start but you'll learn more by buying a kit and building it yourself...

If you plan on playing in the street or parking lots you really want to steer clear of the Carbon Fiber Chassis cars, the chassis doesn't hold up well to rocks and cracks in the pavement... You want a Plastic tub like the TC4, Tamiya and Yokomo also make tub cars but the parts aren't as plenty...

A 3.5 brushless is as fast as you are going to get and it's going to come at the expense of batteries... You'll NEED good batteries, sport packs won't cut it...

I run the SS5800 in my parking lot car and it is plenty fast for bashing...
Old 08-14-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
Tech Adept

I wouldn't mind buying a kit and putting it together myself, in fact I would rather like to but some of the stuff I've seen its just cheaper to buy a RTR, I do plan on learning to drive the car before I throw in a 3.5turn with a stock 27turn, I accept the fact that I have no idea how fast even 30mph is and have the full intention of getting used to the car in a open road/lot so I don't go bashing up the car while learning to drive it.

As for the TC4 like I said my only worry with it is the shaft drive which nobody is using, my understand is that the shaft driven car is suppose to give you a bit more power and more coming out of a turn bit will slip right a bit, is the slipping really a issue or just something I'll need to get used to while driving the car?

Yeah if I end up going with a 3.5, I'll definately have to invest in some high MA lithiums
Old 08-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
I wouldn't mind buying a kit and putting it together myself, in fact I would rather like to but some of the stuff I've seen its just cheaper to buy a RTR, I do plan on learning to drive the car before I throw in a 3.5turn with a stock 27turn, I accept the fact that I have no idea how fast even 30mph is and have the full intention of getting used to the car in a open road/lot so I don't go bashing up the car while learning to drive it.

As for the TC4 like I said my only worry with it is the shaft drive which nobody is using, my understand is that the shaft driven car is suppose to give you a bit more power and more coming out of a turn bit will slip right a bit, is the slipping really a issue or just something I'll need to get used to while driving the car?

Yeah if I end up going with a 3.5, I'll definately have to invest in some high MA lithiums
It's the flavor of the month... Spend some time around here and you'll see how quickly the latest and greatest car comes and goes... I've been in this hobby for 30 years, I've seen many cars and more people come and go...

If you're going to be learning the ins and outs in a parking lot then the sealed drivetrain and no belts to get rocks stuck in is a plus... There is no slippage in a shaft car, there is slippage in a belt car... Shaft cars tend to torque steer under acceleration and belt cars don't... Being new you really won't notice...

There's some pretty hardcore racers here, you can't always take their advice because they will never run their cars on anything but a prepared carpet or asphalt race track... It pains me that I can't play with my race cars in the street in fear of gouging the chassis up... That's why I have a TC3 and Yok CGM for that... They once were my race cars and now my son and I bash them...
Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
Tech Adept

When I was talking to the guy in the hobby shop they mentioned that belt drives tend to slip slightly to the left while the shaft drive torque steers to the right noticably at higher speeds, I think I'll end up getting a TC4 just asking questions.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

If you're going to bash just get what ever you think looks cool. A RTR might be the cheapest way to go.

I'd suggest you try racing though. It's pretty easy to get bored just bashing. Racing gives it a whole other dimension. You won't embarrass yourself and most other racers are always happy to see a new face and help them out.

If you are interested in racing, out of the models you listed, I'd go with the Cyclone S. A 13.5 brushless and find a Spektrum radio on eBay. If you're on a budges the worst thing is having to upgrade later.
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
Tech Adept

why a cyclone over the TC4 or XXX-S? Haven't seen many Cyclones around.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Honeslty, as a beginner I do not think you will not be able to notice the difference between the shaft and belt. When I began I wasn't able to notice, and I still find it difficult to notice now.
atxgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Last edited by atxgman; 08-14-2007 at 10:09 PM.
atxgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
why a cyclone over the TC4 or XXX-S? Haven't seen many Cyclones around.
It's the most recently released car and closest to a high end car, the standard Cyclone, which is currently used in pro racing. The TC4 and XXX-S are pretty out dated.

I started racing a little over a year ago. Knowing what I know now I'd probably spend my money on a used Xray T2, Cyclone or other high end car depending on local parts support. You could probably find one for close to the same price as the Cyclone S. I'd say go for the T2R if they were actually available.

It will really come down to your budget and whether you want to race or bash. What do the locals race?
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

First welcome back and one question, why TC? TC is fun but it is one of the most expensive types of racing/bashing. Dont get me wrong I like TC and have three whips myself but have you considered a truck instead. I bought my FM1 for under $100, added a brushless system I bought on the BST board for $100(a novak SS esc and 4300 motor), add a spectrum radio and wham you have something that you can run on the street as well as the local dirt lot. If fact we race our trucks (oval racing) at one of the local on-road tracks, and the best part is I've yet to replace anything on my truck; no way can I say that about my TC's. Just a thought.

Whatever route you go have fun!
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #13
Tech Adept

First I would like to say, Fantastic Avatar, I looked at offroad buggies for a little but I just decided I would rather do the TC not really sure why, probably the actual car look and the upgradability and hop ups who knows.

AS for the T2s and Cyclone, the only cyclones I've seen in my range are the Cyclone S which is definately a possibility if I can find some now, I haven't seen a T2 anywhere near my range but if you see one you let me know.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default Welcome to TC

Welcome and have fun...
If you've done the salt water....your TC budget will be a fraction of that...
I've been there.....got tired of hauling water....

if you find yourself on an extreme budget...an option might be to buy a used car chassis....a T2 or Pro4 or FT Tc4...these cars seem to sell for quite good prices there is usually 1 or two being sold on here....probably lower than buying a new TC4 kit.

Going brushless is great choice, if you don't want the GTB price I do believe Novak released an entry level series called the XBR....it almost has all the same options as the GTB......www.teamnovak.com
but i would also suggest to first try the 13.5 or the 10.5 motor....the lower numbers can be quite a bit to handle and will require more maintenance on the car.

try to find at least a mid level transmitter/controller when starting out, it's been my experience if you skimp on this part you'll end up regretting it....your choice of course...

above all is....
have fun...and once you get hooked you'll be cutting back on the SW tanks
CAUSE and EFFECT
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
First I would like to say, Fantastic Avatar, I looked at offroad buggies for a little but I just decided I would rather do the TC not really sure why, probably the actual car look and the upgradability and hop ups who knows.

AS for the T2s and Cyclone, the only cyclones I've seen in my range are the Cyclone S which is definately a possibility if I can find some now, I haven't seen a T2 anywhere near my range but if you see one you let me know.
Thanks, I did just the same myself I quit RC in 1990 and picked it back up 3/4 yrs ago with TC's. Keep your eyes on the BST sooner or latter you'll find something to fit your needs.
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote