R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-15-2007, 12:22 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jsl6v8

how much do those fancy little ride height ruler staircase things normally run? or do you just crack out the high school mm ruler?
jsl6v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

set-up kits can be cheap. I bought mine off ebay for $80.00. Look at Hudy set-up boards, they are second to none. You could also use the ruler but ofcourse you will be limited. A micrometer is also a good investment.
sinisterRC - High Performance R/C
sinisterRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

take a look in the classifieds here. I bought a sweet touring car off of here and you can find some great deals. Only minus would be that you prolly won't be able to assemble it, but i guess you could re-build it in your spare time.

I haven't had a problem here getting ripped off either. You can usually tell by the product and the way the person advertises it if it is going to be a good buy. Of course try to get feedback on the person as well.
wfdfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #34
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterRC View Post
actually about 5mm, atleast for the T2. Well if you're racing the track should be clean of any debris that can damage your chassis. If your just bashing then you should definately increase ride height. Like I said it's all relative.
Which is why I suggested one of the shaft drive TUB cars... Sounds a lot like he wants to be able to run in the street or parking lot... Not everyone is a racer.... It's also nice to have the parking lot car and a race car...
Old 08-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #35
Tech Adept

I would like to get into racing with the car but I think it would be smart of me to learn to drive the thing before I go into racing so I need to be able to drive it on the parking lot.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1

i started the same way....took my first car out the parking lots, just to make sure i understood the newbie basics....placing the batteries...setting a transmitter...making the car go left and right

don't be intimidated with all cars...you can always change cars at will.

when you get a chance drop by the local racing track/club track a few times and talk a bit or just observe everyone racing and working in the pits. This will make your first race days easy.
I was surprised at how many people just started talking to me while I was just standing next to the pits

have fun...the most important part.
CAUSE and EFFECT

Last edited by olhipster1; 08-15-2007 at 07:14 PM.
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #37
Tech Adept

well in orlando there is only one place that does races, that I know of/have been told of, and they only have races the first sunday of the month, I do plan on using the car :-) so I'll have to be able to run it on my neighborhood street and the parking lots I figure I'll just jack up the ride height a bit for play time :-) then drop it when I decide to start doing racing, another thing is they require you have a pit crew, one person, my question is why? Especially with a Electric I can understand maybe with a gas with it overheating, needing more gas ect ect.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Well I think I've found a T2 with a novak gtb 5.5 brushless system novak xxl fm receiver, JR racing servo, futaba 2peka fm radio and batterys with a charger and 2 bodys for a decent price a little more than what I wanted to spend but to have everything I wanted already put together, well pretty much I'll upgrade to a spektrum eventually, it will be worth the extra change. Don't worry I'll definately be picking up a weaker motor so I don't learn how to crash my car doing 50+. Waiting on finalizing the transaction due to some problems but unless something goes really wrong I'm pretty much set up.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:05 AM   #39
Tech Adept

ok I finally purchased a car, I got what I think is a good deal although some of the electronics are a bit older. I have a X-Ray T2 with what appears to be very little use, with a Novak XXL receiver, Futuba 2peka transmitter, JR racing servo, and a GTB 5.5 Brushless system. I just went out and got a Vision Peak Ultra charger to charge my cells, and got a 6 cell promatch green, well I think its the green its not the blue. Other than that I have no clue what I have, I believe its currently set up for carpet as the previous owner mentioned racing it on carpet and it looks to be pretty low to the ground but then at this point 3mm and 7mm would both look pretty low to the ground to me, obviously I haven't got any fancy measuring tools and haven't cracked out my old high school ruler. I'm pretty pumped despite having now spent around 500 bucks and not even turned the thing on yet, I guess the next step is setting it up for asphalt on-road, does anyone have a set-up sheet or know of a good one, one of the guys at the hobby shop mentioned looking for the setup sheet for david travis, my guess is I spelled it wrong because I haven't turned up anything yet, here are some pictures.

I appologize that half the pictures suck, if you want/need a better picture of something to see what I have going on let me know. Is there any trick to seeing how many teeth your spur and pinion have on them, or am I stuck trying to count the teeth? Any help, thoughts, opinions, and even destructive critisism is welcome, I could use a laugh, and some help.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #40
Tech Adept

well I was discharging my new batterys in the car, and I am frightened of my car. First off as soon as I turned on the car the wheels started spinning like mad, not top speed or anything but anyway I knew that that wasn't suppose to happen, took me a bit but I figured out that it was the TH. Trim on my radio that was doing it, so I tuned it down until the wheels stopped spinning, after that I put the car down and started to drive it around a little bit, just barely pushing the trigger, I must say the car turns rather well in my inexperienced opinion, and its freaking fast which I found out after giving it a little more speed which I quickly took off, then something bad happened, my car took off like a rocket, with my finger off the throttle/trigger deally it just launched itself, I pushed the throttle again and released and it stopped accelerating I figure hey maybe I imagined things but then it did it again. I'm not sure what exactly is happening, the radio as I mentioned before is a t2peka by futaba, it an older radio discontinued by Futaba now and the receiver is a XXL by novak as I mentioned in the above post, but just because it old doesn't mean it doesn't work I mean look at Hugh Heffner. Anyway if anyone knows what might have caused this or things I can try short of buying a new radio system, which I'll end up doing sometime probably anyway let me know.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to racer34v

are the batteries in your transmitter good?
racer34v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #42
Tech Adept

the transmitter battery life gauge thing is reading full.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #43
Tech Addict

It sounds like the transmitter may not be programmed to the gtb. If you have the manual for the gtb you can read on how to program the radio to the esc. You can also download the gtb manual by going to www.teamnovak.com

-chris
Old 08-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #44
Tech Addict

http://www.teamnovak.com/download/in.../GTB_instr.pdf
Old 08-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #45
Tech Adept

THANKS!, this sounds like a very likely possability, I'll look it up and give it a go tomorrow and let yall know how it goes.