R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhipster1 View Post
try to find at least a mid level transmitter/controller when starting out, it's been my experience if you skimp on this part you'll end up regretting it.
Agree 100%
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jsl6v8

Most of my SW tanks are pretty much packed, one or two more fish and then its just maintenance from there, I don't haul water I have a pump pump it in from my container to my tank :-). PPL keep saying the T2, but I haven't seen a T2 for less than 200 and thats with no electronics and I figure I can get a RTR TC4 brand new for less than 230. So far on the sale board I've seen a couple of TC4s for a good price and there were some Cyclone S on ebay for around 180 which isn't bad but they were all drift cars so I'll need to tinker with them a little.
jsl6v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default options

there are quite a few different cars you can go for...
tc4 is a good choice..
but another option is a Tamiya TA05...
it's a good solid racer...that can compete with the best of them..
take a look at the TA05 thread....it's quite a large support base...
and it's priced rather well. It also has several different option to make it a versatile car choice...it can go from outdoors to indoors..drifter to racer..etc..

ohh...don't be afraid to negotiate a bit on the RCTech sale thread...
you may be surprised what some will let their cars go for....since it's more than likely an extra car the seller is just holding.
CAUSE and EFFECT
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:11 AM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Everyone has made some good recommendations but before you buy anything go to your local hobby shop and see what they sell parts for...
Old 08-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #20
Tech Adept

I know I can get parts at the hobby shops for Losi, Team Associated, Xray, Hot Bodies, and HPI, not sure about tamiya though.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #21
Tech Regular

If you can't get the tamiya get the Xray. ask the lhs for what they recommend for at first timer tc. the tc4 is a great choice also. if it is anything like my tc3 which I bought when they first came out probably 9 years ago. it still is a competive car.

the tamiya is competitive right out of the box. so are the t2 and tc4. you can get a 2.4 radio for under 200 at tower, no crystal frequencies to worry about. I recommend building your first car.

have fun w/ your new car!
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #22
Tech Adept

The 3 hobbys stores I've been to showed me around the TC4, the HB Cyclone, the HPI Sprint, and the Losi xxx-s. None of them even mentioned a Tamiya and obiously didn't mention carrying parts for them. I would love to get an Xray problem is I haven't seen many for a decent price. Right now I'm looking at TC4 and Cyclone or trying to get a Chasis for a Xray T2 or maybe a Chasis for an JRXS problem with them like I've mentioned is that I haven't seen them for even under 200 at which point its just more economical for me to get the TC4 or cyclone. I would love to get a 2.4ghz spektrum but as I don't plan on jumping immediately into racing I'm not sure that its exactly necissary for just me driving around in the parking lot getting used to the car, so its prrobably something I'll upgrade to well probably the first thing I'll upgrade into.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Once I get my car whatever I decide to get, looking at a T2, how do I go about setting up the gears and spurs and everything else to get it to run the way I want it too, I know that difference sized gears will provide more torque or more rpm but I don't know which way to go to get which one nor much of the other things involved in tuning a car, is there a site that goes through the simple step by step of tuning and tweaking your car to get it to ride the way you drive?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You can go to the main forum page and go into the Rookie forum. There you could search whatever topic you may have a question on. I use it all the time very, very helpful. As far as gearing, it would depend on how you want the car set-up. Dont feel overwhelmed, take it one step at a time. Once you select the car you want you could do a search in this forum for that specific model and you will find a ton of info on it. Like I said take it easy and have fun!
sinisterRC - High Performance R/C
sinisterRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #25
Tech Adept

lol I went to the awesome hobby shop in orlando yesterday, superior hobby in castelberry just to name drop, and the guy scared the shit out of me then brought me back in with all the stuff you can tweak and change and how it effects this and that problem is I neglected to bring my pencil and paper :-) I'm excited and scared at the same time and its wonderful. Problem is, after I get the car and put all my electronics in it, What is the first step??
Old 08-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #26
Tech Regular

You are getting ahead of yourself. Relax take a deep breath...... ok. This may sound funny but everything will come naturally. I too was overwhelmed at first but after reading, researching, asking, and most importantly driving, things are falling in place. Something you will notice (if you haven't already) is that R/C is very technical, which I love.

First thing is you would have to decide on a model. Next you will figure out what is included in the kit and what is not. Besides the electronics, wheels, gears, body, etc.. Then you will decide on electronics and other accessories. Before you build the car I would highly recommend you refer to this website and get some build up tips. And remember all your decisions should be made according to what your application will be, bashing, racing, or even drifting.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #27
Tech Adept

I don't intend on doing drifting but do people use drifting in races at all to swing around turns or anything or is pretty much something people do for fun only?

I love the technical aspect helps insure you don't have any idiots out there, I don't want to be one of those idiots :-) I've worked on a lot of electronics and jazz before but I've never really messed with gears and spurs and differencials and all that jazz so its a bit overwhelming. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a used T2 unless something falls through badly which I'm pumped up about, as I understand xrays to be one of the higher end chasis, I've read somewhere on the web about droop and tweak and some other jazz but that was in relation to losi xxx-s series cars so I imagine it would be different to adjust on a T2. Just looking for a starting space really.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl6v8 View Post
I don't intend on doing drifting but do people use drifting in races at all to swing around turns or anything or is pretty much something people do for fun only?

I love the technical aspect helps insure you don't have any idiots out there, I don't want to be one of those idiots :-) I've worked on a lot of electronics and jazz before but I've never really messed with gears and spurs and differencials and all that jazz so its a bit overwhelming. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a used T2 unless something falls through badly which I'm pumped up about, as I understand xrays to be one of the higher end chasis, I've read somewhere on the web about droop and tweak and some other jazz but that was in relation to losi xxx-s series cars so I imagine it would be different to adjust on a T2. Just looking for a starting space really.
drifting and racing are two different things altogether. The T2 is great for racing and a bit of overkill for drifting. Forget about droop, tweak and all that other stuff, that will come with time. Just get the car together and drive it, then you will understand tweak, droop, caster, camber, ride height, etc..
Old 08-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #29
Tech Adept

caster, camber? I understand that a lot of pros run their cars about 3mm from the ground on standard asphalt tracks, my worry with this is doesn't that scrape the hell out of your chasis?
Old 08-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl6v8 View Post
caster, camber? I understand that a lot of pros run their cars about 3mm from the ground on standard asphalt tracks, my worry with this is doesn't that scrape the hell out of your chasis?
actually about 5mm, atleast for the T2. Well if you're racing the track should be clean of any debris that can damage your chassis. If your just bashing then you should definately increase ride height. Like I said it's all relative.