Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about out of spec (outlaw) configurations

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

Angry Questions about out of spec (outlaw) configurations

I am curious about how several conventions/rules/general specs which are common in Electric RC Racing effect the speed and cornering potential of electric on road cars.

1. 7.2 volts is a common standard which is derived from 6 batteries times 1.2 volts per battery. The electric motors we use can run with higher volts.
I read that as voltage goes up electric motors become more efficient, until they reach a peak where heat, wear and other factors set in.
7.2 volts is arbitrary in the sense that it is not the point of maximum efficiency.

Would a 1/10 scale Touring car with 3 cell lipo or an 8 cell NIMH be noticeably faster than the current 2 or 6 cell setups? Is their an ideal or a clear point of diminishing returns?

2. The width and length of RC cars follow roughly the ratios that full size vehicles do. The 1/18th scale off road vehicles which people mount 1/10 scale TC tires and wheels to run on carpet or asphalt road courses (no jumps) are called 1/18th scale but it would make just as much sense calling them short wheel base 1/10 scale because there track width is the same as 1/10 scale. The motors they run are similar in power to the ones 1/10 scale run and their batteries are similar in output to the ones 1/10 scale cars ran 5 or 6 years ago.
My question is would an additional inch or two in width, make 1/10 scale chassis be able to corner faster?

3. Most classes have minimum allowable weights. I have read people on this forum saying a car was to light. Everything being equal does reducing the weight of car mean less weight to transfer thus more speed kept in turns?
Assuming the needed rigity can be maintained is there a point of diminshing returns when it comes to weight reduction?

4. I have heard that neodymium magnets are stronger and thus if legal would make for a faster motor. Not counting brushless, are there electric motor technologies currently which if allowed would give you a faster car?

5. Would TC chassis be faster if they were allowed to run the same GT style of bodies as 1/12 scale.

6. There are some electronic devices which can effect a cars cornering, like the gyros (used in RC Helicopters )that HPI puts in there drift cars. I have read that active suspensions and traction control are against the rules. Are their electronic ways of providing active suspension and traction control, if so would it make a big difference. Are there other electronic devices which would help if legal?