Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-24-2001, 12:56 PM   #16
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by Trips

If I'm not mistaken, the stuff Bruckner sells is waterslide decal, not peel and stick.

Trips
I don't think so... It has something you print the decals onto... then you put the protective clear sheet over it..then stick it.. something like that..
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 05:51 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Default make your own decals

To keep the ink from running on the out side of the body try a product by krylon called crystal clear acrylic coating. I found it at i think a craft store. just spray real light coats at first and your decals will be able to with stand any of the harshest conditions a rc car will ever see. The part # i think is 1303.
Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 06:11 PM   #18
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Racer X: If you do end up writing an article about using these, send me a copy (or post in the R/C Tech Forum) and I would happy to put it up on the website in the How To/Tips section (which currently doesn't exist, but IS on the way...)

I have some of this inkjet paper as well, I'm going to be trying some tomorrow on my new XXX-S body...
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 04:22 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Here's an update:

The Avery 8665 full sheet label amteril may not be the best choice, I printed some stickers and while the material takes the print quite well, it's not flexible enough to use as stickers. It's also not quite transparent, it's just translucent enough that it doesn't look quite clear once it's in place.

I'm looking into some other materials, will let you know.

I checked with Bruckner, the material they sell is waterslide decal material.

Trips
Old 08-28-2001, 06:44 PM   #20
R/C Tech Founder

I tried the Avery stuff this weekend as well... I showed up at the track with a few pages of "R/C Tech" stickers and handed them out. I have one on my car but most people just stuck them on tool boxes and the like. You're right about it not being totally translucent, which I was kinda ticked about. But they were OK for just inkjet stuff.

If you do find anything else, by all means let me know!
Old 08-28-2001, 06:56 PM   #21
Tech Elite

I'm running down several leads at the moment...

Scotchcal marking film by 3M... I tried some of this last year in a Laser Printer, but the heating element melted the vinyl and thoroughly hosed my printer. I might try some of this stuff again, I don't know that it will hold inkjet ink, it might be too "shiny". I think inkjets need a bit of texture to hold and not smear all over.

Oracal, a company in Florida makes vinyl films of various weights for bumper stickers and window stickers and such. They do make transparent films, I've got to get hold of the local distributor and try and get some pieces to test.

Avery does make a film that should work, I seem to remember either the stickers that came with one of my bodies or it might have been an Autographics sheet, the backing had the Avery logo on it. If I can talk to someone at Avery tomorrow I might find out what film that was.

I'll be sire to let everyone know whatever info I find out.

By the way, I did print some stickers on transparent Frisket Film, I got a package at the art supply store. They had two kinds, high tack and low tack. I got the high tack since I'm not using it as masking. Seems better than the Avery 8665, but still not ideal.

The printer arrived today, and it's simply outstanding. At 600dpi resolution the printing looks as good or better than any stickers I've seen in the industry, and it'll print white on clear vinyl material. Just need to find the ideal vinyl and maybe a clear glosscoat spray product to protect the stickers... but the glosscoat may or may not be needed if I can get the right vinyl.

Trips
Old 08-28-2001, 07:56 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hey everyone,
i have been using the Avery 5660 tranparent labels for about a year now. I made stickers for my web site as well as the infamous "Human Pity" stickers (ask Paul Lemieux about em). Anyway, the best method is to use the avery label program or use Word and the envelope and label tool. You can use any font, and any color as long as its black (haha). That applies to injets anyway, lasers I don't know. On inkjets reds for example tend to smear really badly.
So when you are printing the labels, you want to take the sheet out carefully, and lay it to dry for a while. Then i use Krylon crystal clear acrylic coating, #1303 (like Fangio, its good stuff). This is an art fixative for charcoal drawings, etc (look what 4 years of art school got me yay). Anyway, you should put several good coats of this on the stickers after they dry. I have had really good results with the stickers lasting with this method. They are not as nice as a regular sticker, but they look pretty good when trimmed tightly. I also get better results when applying them on mostly even surfaces. Good luck guys, if you have q's, let me know.

Last edited by robk; 08-28-2001 at 08:02 PM.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 08:05 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Trips what type of printer do you have that does white? That sounds awesome.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 08:31 PM   #24
Tech Elite

It's an ALPS MD1000. They're not made anymore, but I found it on EBAY and scarfed it up.

ALPS made an MD5000 as well, but it's extra features were of no use to me since all I want to do with it is print stickers.

There were quite a few of them on EBAY, they typically went for anywhere between $100 and $200.

It's a bit fiddly to print white, but not too bad. You first save your finished artwork, then put the white cartridge in the printer. Then you select the entire image in whatever graphics program you're using and chage it all to black. Tell it to print white spot color and everything that is black on the image gets printed white. Then swap the white cartridge back out and revert the image to the saved version and hit print again. This time it runs the 4 color process over the white undercoat. The parts of the image that are going to be white just don't get any additional color.

It's really a lot simpler than it sounds... I'm going to print a sheet of stickers and take a photo of it and post it here. Gimme about a half hour or so...

Trips
Old 08-28-2001, 08:46 PM   #25

That sounds cool Trips...But 100 bucks just to print a few stickers is alot! I tried dome stuff I found at staples. You could see through the color though, and it used static to stick...
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 09:34 PM   #26
Tech Rookie

how much does it cost for Avery decal paper??
if you guys see some decal paper called "Mirage Window Decal", dont buy it because it doesnt stick really good.
SpitFire3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 10:22 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Here are some sample shots. The first is a color sticker I printed and stuck on my HUDY setup board, the second is a white sticker I ran off and stuck to the front of the ALPS printer. I'm VERY happy about being able to print white on clear stickers with a $100 printer investment... I thought I'd have to go for an $8000 Roland sign printer to be able to do this... needless to say, that was completely out of the question.

As you'll see, this material isn't ideal, it's not fully transparent. I've got some more leads on good vinyl, I should know more tomorrow...

Trips
Old 08-28-2001, 11:21 PM   #28
R/C Tech Founder

Trips, those look sweet. If you have the graphics for that decal send it over sometime, I will print some of those on my Avery stuff to go with the ones I already have. If I can get my girlfriend's digital camera working again, I will post some pics soon of the stickers I made -- they are basically just the logo from the home page without the car picture, and with the addition of the site URL.

I have both the Avery stuff as well as some of those "static cling" kinda decals. The static ones I have ARE totally transparent, but unforunately (and not surprisingly) they don't work all that well for car decals. Somebody suggested using some 3M spray adhesive with them, so I might try that.

The Avery decals are holding up well for me, as long as I apply them to flat contact areas: hood, top of wing, sides of the car, roof and so on. And of course pit boxes...
Old 08-28-2001, 11:23 PM   #29
R/C Tech Founder

Oh yea, and for the artwork I am just using Photoshop to create the graphics, and then I transfer them with a transparent background into CorelDRAW where I print them on an inkjet. I have an Epson 777 I'm using right now, also have a Lexmark Z11 and an older Epson, all of which work fine on the Avery stuff. I haven't had any bleeding or scraping problems.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:13 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Trips, those look sweet. If you have the graphics for that decal send it over sometime, I will print some of those on my Avery stuff to go with the ones I already have
It's about 1.5Meg zipped, where would you like me to send it?

Trips