R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Aluminum Chassis plates: RS4 Sport/Pro

Just recently became a member here, sweet info going through this forum. I know they are older than dirt, but I know they are still out there. I have made up some aluminum chassis for the rs4 sport/pro. I have the main chassis and the upper deck. Picts to come soon of 1st design. Wondering if there is any interest in these chassis anymore.
RS4Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Just remembered that the rs4 rally has the same chassis also.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

the first prototype was built for strength:

Last edited by RS4Mutant; 01-13-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I hope if you are doing that for electric, you are going to:

slot the body for cells
cut the body for weight
get ready to mold additional parts to handle the weight and additional stress

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Tomoyuki

i got a Pro1 that i am thinking of restoring. Where the hell do they still have parts for these cars?
Tomoyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull View Post
slot the body for cells
cut the body for weight
Electric? Hrmm, maybe the name of the car gives it away, or possibly it's the Novak BL staring you in the face that gives a clue as to whether it's electric or not?

Cell slots? Not with those battery trays. But you probably knew that already, as your signature confirms the wealth of HPI knowledge crammed in your brain.

Weight? Could have sworn he specifically said that chassis was built for "strength", but maybe I imagined it.

So a stronger chassis needs additional parts to cope with the added stress and weight? I see a trend forming here. Since you called that chassis a "body" twice, it's probably safe to assume you didn't pay much attention to the details here.

RS4MUTANT: I applaud your fabrication abilities. I am building a new carbon fiber chassis for my old RS4-Mini with cell slots to hold 4cell packs instead of the 6cell packs and the battery trays it originally came with.
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
Electric? Hrmm, maybe the name of the car gives it away, or possibly it's the Novak BL staring you in the face that gives a clue as to whether it's electric or not?

Cell slots? Not with those battery trays. But you probably knew that already, as your signature confirms the wealth of HPI knowledge crammed in your brain.

Weight? Could have sworn he specifically said that chassis was built for "strength", but maybe I imagined it.

So a stronger chassis needs additional parts to cope with the added stress and weight? I see a trend forming here. Since you called that chassis a "body" twice, it's probably safe to assume you didn't pay much attention to the details here.

RS4MUTANT: I applaud your fabrication abilities. I am building a new carbon fiber chassis for my old RS4-Mini with cell slots to hold 4cell packs instead of the 6cell packs and the battery trays it originally came with.
Ok smart guy. Here we go. For the record, I was on two hours of sleep...no excuse, but you should have gathered the gist of it when I said "body" as opposed to "chassis"....we'll let that go.

Yes, cell slots...to dissipate heat! If you are going with a slightly sturdier frame, weight puts a little bit more of a load on the motor ergo, a bit more amp draw. This AMP DRAW puts a bit more of a strain on the cells, heat is formed and will need a way to escape. Slots at the BOTTOM assists in cooling. But, you already knew that.

Something built for strength still has to worry about weight. Um, nitro cars that have 3mm and 4mm aluminum chassis that are cut up like swiss cheese oh, did someone say serpent, mugen, kysoho er ahem, R40, that dont sacrifice strength with all of those added spaces int he chassis..oh, you being a smart guy, you already KNEW THAT!

RS4 is a desgination for the earlier cars that was for both electric and NITRO! Just because he shows ONE chassis with a BL motor, he might have had an option to make a nitro version...which are hard to find and similar in style to their electric counterpart....BUT, you being the supersmart person...ALREADY KNEW THAT!

And yes, many of the parts on the RS4 were a bit weak. If someone is going with a heavier chassis, it will stand to say they may go with something other than a standard sensored BL motor. If they say um, opted for MM, 5700 BL and an 11.1 lipo pack, they may crash a bit more. Making parts other than just the chassis to be able to withstand impact is smart and pratical. Oh, I guess you modify just one part and ignore the other????Thats like sending a soldier to combat with a helmut and no additional gear. His head will be safe, but what about THE REST OF HIM?!?!?

Before you attempt to analyze someone, you need to look at their old posts. Have a look around this forum and many others...I dont change my handle. Going toe to toe with me is not very wise. Then again, you dont strike me as very smart, so YOU WOULDNT HAVE ALREADY KNOWN THAT!

Last edited by bxpitbull; 08-16-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Ok smart guy. Here we go. For the record, I was on two hours of sleep...no excuse, but you should have gathered the gist of it when I said "body" as opposed to "chassis"....we'll let that go.

Yes, cell slots...to dissipate heat! If you are going with a slightly sturdier frame, weight puts a little bit more of a load on the motor ergo, a bit more more amp draw. This AMP DRAW puts a bit more of a strain on the cells, heat is formed and will need a way to escape. Slots at the BOTTOM assists in cooling. But, you already knew that.

Something built for strength still has to worry about weight. Um, nitro cars that have 3mm and 4mm aluminum chassis that are cut up like swiss cheese oh, did someone say serpent, mugen, kysoho er ahem, R40, that dont sacrifice strength with all of those added spaces int he chassis..oh, you being a smart guy, you already KNEW THAT!

RS4 is a desgination for the earlier cars that was for both electric and NITRO! Just because he shows ONE chassis with a BL motor, he might have had an option to make a nitro version...which are hard to find and similar in style to their electric counterpart....BUT, you being the supersmart person...ALREADY KNEW THAT!

And yes, many of the parts on the RS4 were a bit weak. If someone is going with a heavier chassis, it will stand to say they may go with something other than a standard sensored BL motor. If they say um, opted for MM, 5700 BL and an 11.1 lipo pack, they may crash a bit more. Making parts other than just the chassis to be able to withstand impact is smart and pratical. Oh, I guess you modify just one part and ignore the other????Thats like sending a soldier to combat with a helmut and no additional gear. His head will be safe, but what about THE REST OF HIM?!?!?

Before you attempt to analyze someone, you need to look at their old posts. Have a look around this forum and many others...I dont change my handle. Going toe to toe with me is not very wise. Then again, you dont strike me as very smart, so YOU WOULDNT HAVE ALREADY KNOWN THAT!

Yeah!!!!....and the only one who knows more than BX about HPI is me!!!!!!

fastharry

22 hpi cars since 1996

2 time hpi challenge winner

a main HPI worlds fnalist

135 rc cars overall....

you tell him, BX!!!!!!!
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:36 AM   #9
Tech Master

Default Fastharry

Unless your name is Fastharry, atsushi hara or Tom (from Bruckner), please do try to school me on HPI lol. Not a good look.

Fastharry, I am about do it up with my R40. Never set-up a nitro car for real racing and need some tips. Here is what I have already:

OFNA/Picco red dot
THS 1016T pipe
Stratus aero 2 body
Hitec super torque on the steering

Havent done anything for the springs or the foams. Using the red spring in the clutch. Now, its time to get intricate. Any info you can provide will definately be appreciated.

Oh, smart guy, look at this:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=176482

Looking at that, you would think its for an ELECTRIC car. reading on, its nitro. 'nuf said!

Old 08-16-2007, 06:51 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Had you simply applauded the guys effort to fabricate a custom chassis, your "suggestions for further modification" wouldn't have seemed like such a rip at his knowledge.
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #11
Tech Master

Default Since when is offering a suggestion a rip?

Since when is offering a suggestion a rip?

Old 08-16-2007, 11:30 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

Quote:

slot the body for cells
cut the body for weight
good suggestions, will take into consideration for newer and lighter on-road models.
To respond to it for prototype #1:
battery slots: sence im running pre built packs, don't think so.
cut body for weight: not at the track im running (offroad dirt)
the only parts i've broken is the dogbones and the rear lower arms (once in a blue moon), and that was before the new chassis.

Good God guys...quit the bickering,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoyuki View Post
i got a Pro1 that i am thinking of restoring. Where the hell do they still have parts for these cars?
ebay, hobbytown.com, I had my local store stock up on parts for me before they discontinued them...he he he. Many alunimum aftermarket parts still available.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:41 PM   #13
Tech Master

Didnt mean to hijack your thread, I meant to offer suggestions. I see what you are saying for dirt. Dude pissed me off, but we have since crushed the beef. Now, whats the weight comparison graphite to aluminum? If you have the ability to mold other parts, will that extend to other HPI stuff? As you can see, I have HPI out the elephant kazoo and if I can get some custom parts, we might be able to deal. I have enough spares of every car I own, so if you can apply your expertise to other HPI cars, we can talk and you can make some CHEESE.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to socalbomber

that was a hella funny argument!!!
socalbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #15
Tech Master

I didnt mean to come stand-offi-ish, but it doesnt take much to get me to set it off.