Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for chassis sanding

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Tips for chassis sanding

how are you all sanding your CF chassis? are you rounding out the edges, or just taking the edge off? sandpaper, file, dremel or ???

any and all tips are appreciated

vic
Old 12-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

i find it easier to use a file instead of the sandpaper. i bought a set of file with different shapes for about 5 bucks. the round shape is nice to have for the corners. then use a thing ca glue to seal.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Tech Initiate

I have found that Emery Cloth works great. Just use it like you are polishing a shoe. It will provide a even round contour on the edges. It tears into nice narrow strips for the battery slots and wont go through the material to fast like a dremel will. Once you are done apply a seal of CA to the edges and you will be all set. I like to use a q-tip to apply the glue. If you keep it wet enough you won't stick any cotton to the chassis. take your time and it will come out great
Old 12-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Tech Addict

for battery slots, you can buy a 7/8th" sanding drum for a drill which is the same size as a sub c cell. It makes packs fit in perfectly.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxracer23
I have found that Emery Cloth works great. Just use it like you are polishing a shoe. It will provide a even round contour on the edges. It tears into nice narrow strips for the battery slots and wont go through the material to fast like a dremel will. Once you are done apply a seal of CA to the edges and you will be all set. I like to use a q-tip to apply the glue. If you keep it wet enough you won't stick any cotton to the chassis. take your time and it will come out great
You wrote exactly what I was going to write.
Exept when I am done sanding the chassis with the emery cloth I like to sand it again with very fine sand paper to smooooth it out....
Old 12-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

so are you rounding out the edges or just taking the edge off? any pics?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

For the Q-tip trick for the glue..... just break or cut off the cotton part and just use the stick to apply the glue to the chassis.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I personally like to round them.

I am a little anal with my stuff. On my FK'05 there is not a sharp piece of carbon fiber on the whole car. I sanded everything (shock towers,battery strap,upper deck, and everything else...
Old 12-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Here is a good page from TEAM CRC about how to prep the chassis...rounding the edge (full round) so that the chassis will be not chipped thru carpet or even outdoor track....good DIY page.

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...rder=0&thold=0

P.S...I am also wondering about this "Emory Paper" or "Emery Cloth" thing...? What is the EXACT name that I should look for at Home Depot..? Are they the same thing..? For sure, there is no such thing is Emory Paper in Home Depot website...(misspell..?) And also...is there a degree (like 300 500 1000) of Emery Cloth that is work on Fk05 Chassis or typical 12th scale chassis...? Thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Sand the edges with Sand paper (dry) 320 grade normally does the trick
Wet sand with 600-1000 grade paper
CA glue
Then wet polish with the back of the sand paper!

Gives a wicked shine!
Old 12-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Different files, plus dremel only on the inside.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you dont want to itch or risk breathing in the cf dust which is really bad, I sugjest doing it under warm running water.. Ive started to do this over the last few months and it works so much better.. you get no dust in the air or on your skin, exept your hands..

i use a 80 grit emery. the emery does not break down in water so it is best.. The water also works as a sort of lubricant giving a super smooth clean sand.. you have to let it dry a few hours tho.. make sure there is no water on the seems when you glue.. i use a Q tip and fill the seams..

for the battery tray i went to my local hardware store.. i took along asingle battery cell.. I found a dremel bit that was the same diaeter of the cell. it is a wheel type bit. Make sure your dremel is set as low as possible.. you want the angles on the slots to be perfect.. simply run the bit back and forth until you get the desired depth you want the cell to sit in the chassis.. be carefull not to take to much off.. you dont want the cells hanging below the chassis.. Then a take a cone shaped bit and sand the sides of the slot.. try to get them the same as the slots.. with the battery lower in the slots you have to make sure the face does not contact the grafite o the sides.. this can cause glitching issues..I also seal the slots as well..

i race pan cars. i prolly built 20-30 cars a year for people and another 10-15 for myself.. this way is the cleanest look i have found..
Old 12-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

contact Toebster2 on here...he has the best method i have ever seen...it comes out looking like glass!!
Old 12-14-2005, 01:27 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Here is a good page from TEAM CRC about how to prep the chassis...rounding the edge (full round) so that the chassis will be not chipped thru carpet or even outdoor track....good DIY page.

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...rder=0&thold=0

P.S...I am also wondering about this "Emory Paper" or "Emery Cloth" thing...? What is the EXACT name that I should look for at Home Depot..? Are they the same thing..? For sure, there is no such thing is Emory Paper in Home Depot website...(misspell..?) And also...is there a degree (like 300 500 1000) of Emery Cloth that is work on Fk05 Chassis or typical 12th scale chassis...? Thanks
I pretty much use the teamcrc method. Seems to work great for me.

If you go to Home Depot and get anyone with a clue you can ask them for Emory Cloth. A local hardware store will have it as well. It is in a sheet like sand paper but the Emory Cloth is not made like paper as it is a rough type cloth I guess you could say.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

LOL...geeze, I am the only person who doesn't sand his chassis and glue the edges
Personally, I think it's over rated. Well at the very least I haven't had any issues that would make me change my mind in the fact that I need to sand and seal the C/F edges.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.