R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-05-2003, 05:22 AM   #1
sup
Tech Addict

Default Tekin BC 112A Charger

was just wondering if this is a good charger. am on a budget and searching for a good reliable charger. will this charger do? thanks!
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:50 AM   #2
Tech Addict

If it is second hand, yes.
If you are paying the new price, go for an other make that is more up to date.
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:42 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Also, if you're looking to use it to charge NiMh batteries, ask the seller exactly which firmware version that one has. It should display it the moment it powers up, & if it says h27 or higher, then it should be ok for NiMh's. Anything lower(or a different letter before the number) & I would not recommend using it for NiMh's until you've had its firmware updated(which can be done by a company called Express Tech in California for a nominal fee)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:17 PM   #4
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F

Quote:
Originally posted by Grizzbob
Also, if you're looking to use it to charge NiMh batteries, ask the seller exactly which firmware version that one has. It should display it the moment it powers up, & if it says h27 or higher, then it should be ok for NiMh's. Anything lower(or a different letter before the number) & I would not recommend using it for NiMh's until you've had its firmware updated(which can be done by a company called Express Tech in California for a nominal fee)....
very interesting. I have the 112(smaller one DC unit) and it only has the 23 firmware, and I've been charging my NIMH with no problems but I bet that I'm loosing some punch because of this. Any thoughts on that Grizzbob?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:10 PM   #5
Tech Master

Talking I HAVE ONE

WHEN I POWER MINE UP IT SAYS E26....I CHARGE NIMH'S AND THEY CHARGE PERFECTLY...WITH NO PROBLEM AT ALL....I TOO AM ON A BUDGET SO I KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE AND EVERYDAY I WISH I HAD SOMETHING NEWER BUT ON THE OTHER HAND THIS ONE WORKS SO GOOD I DON'T REALLY WANT TO GET RID OF IT...THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT IF IT BREAKS DOWN THERE IS ONLY ONE PLACE THAT I HAVE HEARD OF THAT FIXES THESE
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:57 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Well, I didn't say you CAN'T charge NiMh's with older firmware, but there is still some risk involved. Before version h27 & later, the regular "P" mode was meant for NiCd's, which require a different(more aggressive) voltage threshold than you should use on NiMh's. If you charge NiMh's that way(& don't keep an eye on things), you could be overcharging them on a regular basis, which will shorten their life significantly, & yes it could increase their internal resistance which would make them lose punch. Also, there is a chance that the charger simply won't stop unless you stop it yourself, it'll just miss the peak on the newest NiMh's(it's happened to me a few times, totally cooked one good pack, almost killed another). That's why many people tend to prefer using chargers like Novak's Milleniums(both regular & Pro) that allow you precise control over the voltage threshold), & that's also why there are newer firmware versions, to allow for a narrower threshold to better suit NiMh's....

Go Pokes!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 09:26 PM   #7
Tech Master

Default okay but

okay fair enough but mine says e26 when I power up is that worse than h27?? or is that an equivelant to say h26 or whatever??? any help would be great
Old 05-05-2003, 11:46 PM   #8
Super Moderator

No, e26 is an older version by at least a year, I believe the letters designated which year the firmware was programmed in(though I'm not 100% sure on this, but I am sure it's older than one with h26 firmware)....

Go Pokes!!!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:51 AM   #9
Tech Master

Default oh ok

I was garunteed when I bought it that it charges NiMH without burning them up so I will keep doing it till I see some reall ill effects on my batts
Old 05-06-2003, 12:46 PM   #10
Tech Adept

its actually x26, anything with that or higher firmware is okay to charge nimh.

the E has a different chip to the H series but they both need to be above 26.

as for your question, yes its a great charger i got one. i wrote a review which you can find on my website.

sanj
schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:36 AM   #11
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grizzbob
Well, I didn't say you CAN'T charge NiMh's with older firmware, but there is still some risk involved. Before version h27 & later, the regular "P" mode was meant for NiCd's, which require a different(more aggressive) voltage threshold than you should use on NiMh's. If you charge NiMh's that way(& don't keep an eye on things), you could be overcharging them on a regular basis, which will shorten their life significantly, & yes it could increase their internal resistance which would make them lose punch. Also, there is a chance that the charger simply won't stop unless you stop it yourself, it'll just miss the peak on the newest NiMh's(it's happened to me a few times, totally cooked one good pack, almost killed another). That's why many people tend to prefer using chargers like Novak's Milleniums(both regular & Pro) that allow you precise control over the voltage threshold), & that's also why there are newer firmware versions, to allow for a narrower threshold to better suit NiMh's....
Didn't mean to sounds as if you did say I couldn't charge them, my bad.

I have yet to experience a problem with the batteries not stopping when they have peaked. I charge my NIMH at the rate they were matched at. My SMC I charge at 6 AMPS and my Other matched packs, which slip my mind now, I charge at 5 AMPS. They both stop when they are peaked. My charger has the P, P1, P2 and P3 settings. I straight charge them at P2 and it seems to work OK but I think I will take your advise and get me a Novak. I was also thinking about the Orion pro charger with discharge and cycling capabilities.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:51 AM   #12
Regional Moderator

Default EXPRESS TECH

I've been talking with Jose Lopez from Express Tech about the new firmware. I explained what I currently, in regards to firmware, and that I was looking to upgrade the firmware. Jose mentioned that he can upgrade the firmware to the H31 at a cost of $60.00 (includes labor, parts and shipping - not a bad deal).

Jose went on to mentioned that anything lower than the H30 can damage NIMH batteries, in the long run and that anything less than H30 is not made for charging NIMH. I know what your going to say, you had no problems charging with E27, or E26. I haven't had any problems either, charging the batteries with the E23 firmware but I can't tell if the IR has been effected and or the life expectancy of my match packs.

I'll be sending my charger out tonight to Exress Tech so that they can update the software. They'll provide a manual explaining what the new programs are and what they are used for. For instance, the P0 mode is for NIMH charging and the P2 function will still be for Peaking.

This charger will eventually be my stand by charger, I plan on getting the Quasar Pro charger and the first thing I'm going to do when I get it is cycle my packs.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:10 PM   #13
Tech Adept

if you ask me your just getting fobbed by express tech. they are only in it for the money so if they can upgrade any charger with h30 or less then thats a massive market. tekin who made the charger (i know express tech are ex tekin employees) have a sticker on their website that says H26 or higher is fine for Nimh.

as for damaging the cells, well after 50 or so charges they have all lost their zip anyway?

oh and tekin manuals are freely downloadable here

sanj
schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 02:46 PM   #14
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by schumacher
if you ask me your just getting fobbed by express tech. they are only in it for the money so if they can upgrade any charger with h30 or less then thats a massive market. tekin who made the charger (i know express tech are ex tekin employees) have a sticker on their website that says H26 or higher is fine for Nimh.

as for damaging the cells, well after 50 or so charges they have all lost their zip anyway?

oh and tekin manuals are freely downloadable here

sanj
Maybe it was a sales pitch, I don't know. I was just posting the infromation that was passed on to me by Express Tech.

I've heard the same thing you said that any charger, TEKIN, with a rating of H26 and above will work fine.

Either way, I still need mine updated since I only have the E23 version.

Thanks for the information Sanj. Nice website, very informative.

Last edited by Mike F; 05-12-2003 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:56 PM   #15
Super Moderator

To be honest I'm not sure if it's just hype or not, but I do know this...I have destroyed one pack of GP3300's & nearly killed another(both less than a month old, maybe 10 runs or less on each) on mine when the thing for some some reason decided to not stop charging, & this was on the regular "P"(or P1 on mine) mode. It is possible that this is what the newest firmware can help prevent, but I don't know for sure....

Go Pokes!!!