R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
That 5 cell thread was a train wreck. I actually LOL'd when I read it.
Now the question you need to answer is this: how much did I contribute to the wrecking part? Still going by the way...

Can't fault my dedication though?
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Now the question you need to answer is this: how much did I contribute to the wrecking part? Still going by the way...

Can't fault my dedication though?
It was long gone before you got there. It was like one guy trying to prop up 5 cells, and the entire Internet suggesting, ahem, another option. It's like we're in 1998 again.

As for 13.5's, just run 'em. It's silly to bust your ass to keep a motor fast when there's a motor out there that'll be fast every single time. And it's not like there's some kind of glamor in cutting comms and replacing brushes, it's dirty, boring work, and no matter how nice your lathe looks, chicks still won't dig it. Move on, the rest of the world has.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #18
Tech Elite

At SIR, they run mixed unless there are enough to make classes of their own.

As it stands, brushed stock motors are faster on the track than the 13.5's. But it could be the drivers partly. Brushless has kinda started as a mentality. "I don't want to work on it". This may be partly similar to the take on car upkeep and setup....

In theory, a brushless SHOULD be faster. 13.5 turns of wire, ball bearings, and better effeciency (so the battery stays at a higher voltage longer).

If brushless 13.5 and brushed stock motors are mixed, then brushed stock motors should be allowed to run BALL BEARINGS!!
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
It was long gone before you got there. It was like one guy trying to prop up 5 cells, and the entire Internet suggesting, ahem, another option. It's like we're in 1998 again.

As for 13.5's, just run 'em. It's silly to bust your ass to keep a motor fast when there's a motor out there that'll be fast every single time. And it's not like there's some kind of glamor in cutting comms and replacing brushes, it's dirty, boring work, and no matter how nice your lathe looks, chicks still won't dig it. Move on, the rest of the world has.
Well those chicks must not have seen my lathe before I went brushless. Mine was sexxxy!!

Damn I'm off topic lately...gotta fix that.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew View Post
At SIR, they run mixed unless there are enough to make classes of their own.

As it stands, brushed stock motors are faster on the track than the 13.5's. But it could be the drivers partly. Brushless has kinda started as a mentality. "I don't want to work on it". This may be partly similar to the take on car upkeep and setup....

In theory, a brushless SHOULD be faster. 13.5 turns of wire, ball bearings, and better effeciency (so the battery stays at a higher voltage longer).

If brushless 13.5 and brushed stock motors are mixed, then brushed stock motors should be allowed to run BALL BEARINGS!!
I wonder how a brushed stock motor would do with ball berings? That might be closer to bushless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Well those chicks must not have seen my lathe before I went brushless. Mine was sexxxy!!

Damn I'm off topic lately...gotta fix that.
LOL yeah... Chicks dig my lathe

Also, some people say brusless is more expensive, But DANG is a comm lathe spendy! I think a comm lathe makes up for the cost in brushed to run bl
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:08 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'll start by saying that I have never run a brushless motor. However I have raced against them, both in stock and mod 1/12. Modified is no big deal. With either you can bolt in way way too much motor so the biggest benefit is no maintenance. That also makes me think why should anyone want to enforce a 5 cell rule? If everyone's running on the ragged edge of 6 (obviously not 1/12) then everyone will just bolt in a faster motor (they will become available) and run the ragged edge of 5 cells. Back to brushless stock... The few times I raced against one was on a tiny track, about 52x30 turning times around 6.5-6.8 seconds. I'll admit, as a new racer to 1/12th I was not quite considered "one of the fast guys." Generally at this track I was about 3 laps off the winning pace. When one of the "fast guys" did put in his 13.5, every single heat and the main I finished within one lap of him and was still 2-3 down from the leaders. That doesn't make me think that the brushless has a significant advantage.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I must say Im shocked. You say that brushless should be combined with brushed and there is an outcry about how unfair it is. You reverse it and everyone says it is fair.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:15 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

In 1/12, there's a much larger difference between the 13.5 and a brushed stock. In sedans, it's there, but significantly smaller.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

There is some thing you all may not be recognizing.

Brushless/sub-c....brushed sub-c...Brushless wins.

Brushless/lipo....brushed sub-c......brushed wins.

Its ll in the battery.???????????????
Nope you have to have the best of both driving and set up and batteries.

You can punch those sub-c's out to some outrageous volts and the lipos will just slug a long running stock 27t motors.
In stock the advantage is sub-c. Unless the race is 10 or 15 minutes long.

That should start some controversy.

Oh and one more thing does any one really want to go slower with a17.5.??
Now we have 2 stockers in brushless WTH.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:33 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
Brushless/sub-c....brushed sub-c...Brushless wins.

Brushless/lipo....brushed sub-c......brushed wins.
We are allowing Brushless and Brush at the Bass Pro Series and have had some top drivers show up... I completely agree with your statment above and the results show it. The track is has about 700 to 900 foot run line and we change the layout every month (each race) lap times range from 15s to 22s depending on how we setup the track... Same results each time... Sub C are the key, not Brush vs. brushless...
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #26
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
We are allowing Brushless and Brush at the Bass Pro Series and have had some top drivers show up... I completely agree with your statment above and the results show it. The track is has about 700 to 900 foot run line and we change the layout every month (each race) lap times range from 15s to 22s depending on how we setup the track... Same results each time... Sub C are the key, not Brush vs. brushless...
Nice to read you there bvolt. That confirms it for me and i know you do your home work. I've seen it many times.
I do say run'em together though. I really believe it will all find its way sooner or later.
I'm skeptical about where the 17.5 will fit into all this. I see a lot of controversy coming. If they can get them to sell.?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #27
Tech Master

"Brushless/lipo....brushed sub-c......brushed wins."

I think so, if they are in the same weight, sub/c are matched batt., and brushed motor are always be cared to best performance.
mac853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #28
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew View Post

or

get a 13.5 brushless....

get with it Cj ...
last Sunday I watched Chris beat Scott with a brushless Ae !!!

Time`s R changing & so should U !!!!
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LOL @ Thread Title
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #30
Tech Legend

dang !
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote