R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-04-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default help with hpi sprint and 9T double motar.

Hi,
I was hoping some one could help me.I've owned my HPI Sprint for about 6 months, and have made the attempt to give it some serious speed. I'm new to this hobby and have no attention to race in the near future. I just like ripping my car around in the parking lot. With that in mind, i got myself a super rooster ESC and Speed Gem Cryptonite 9T double motar. I love the speed, but my motar and battery are very hot at the end of my run. I can hold my finger on the motar and battery for about 4 secounds before I decide to remove it before I burn my fingure. I'm running a 93 teeth spur and 24 teeth pinion. I can't go any smaller on my pinnion becouse then my belts will rub on my motar. I don't mind the heat or waiting a while between my runs, but I want to be sure I don't ruin my car and its componets. Is it ok for my car motar and batteries to get this hot if I wait between runs? I currently am using two 2000 stick packs and also have one 1700 stick pack. Any help would be appreciated.
Dayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:27 PM   #2
Suspended

You may be under geared do you have any other gears?
R C king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:34 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I have -
87 ,93 teeth spurs
21,22,24,& 28 teeth pinions.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:04 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Default HOT is NOT!!!

Dayne;

First of all, thanks for providing enough information to allow us to help.

Try going up to the next larger size Spur Gear to help keep things a little cooler. As long as your within the Motor turn limit on the ESC and do not use any Higher Capacity Batteries, you should be fine.
You can also look at the Motor Brushes. If they are turning Purplish colored then your too hot (Over-geared).
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 11:15 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

MY super rooster has no motar limit. Unfortunantly it looks like I will have to buy another spur. I do see a hint of purple on my brush wear but it doesn't jump at you. Should my car be alright for the time being. And I'm not clear on your meaning about the batteries. Could you please clarify?
Old 05-05-2003, 12:10 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Default Dayne;

More Battery capacity above your 2000's (I.E. 3000's) means longer runtime and more heat. I've seen an ESC get so hot, it melted solder off the circuit board inside. (wasn't mine)

Go up a few teeth on the Spur Gear (3-5) if you can.
With a Larger Spur Gear you should have more clearance for the belt(s) and you could now probably drop a tooth on the pinion too. Both of these should get you where you need to be gearing wise.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:56 AM   #7
Tech Regular

be aware the a 9t is a hot modified they do get very hot because of the huge current draw
fasterdanu is offline   Reply With Quote