R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default Which one, Cyclon s, TA05 or sprint 2

Hey guys I am planning on getting a new onroad racer kit. I have narrow it down to these three kits(Cyclone S, Tamiya TA05 or HPI sprint 2). Which one do you guys recomend? Which has more potential? I currently race a TC3 on the stock class and want to try a belt chassis. Please need advise???
lnc0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnc0321 View Post
Hey guys I am planning on getting a new onroad racer kit. I have narrow it down to these three kits(Cyclone S, Tamiya TA05 or HPI sprint 2). Which one do you guys recomend? Which has more potential? I currently race a TC3 on the stock class and want to try a belt chassis. Please need advise???
I currently have a TA05 and its is a great car to own. It is very durable and can run with much more expensive cars. I have one that has been heavily upgraded to my likings but you can get it to run well with very little.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Tamiya TA05. It's a very good chassis with great parts support.
Benny Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

I would rather go with a TC5. I know it is not one of your 3 choices, but with the upgrades you will end up doing to make the car competetive to your liking you will have spent the amount of the TC5. I have the Cyclone S and I am about to convert it to a drift car due to the front plastic suspension parts break easy. I have had better luck with a TC3 parts wise. It seems that people have upgraded the Cyclone S to a Cyclone with aftermarket parts.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Thanks guys for the fast respond. I am still going to use it for stock class, but I want a kit that i could use in stock form and still be some what competitive.
lnc0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG. View Post
I would rather go with a TC5. I know it is not one of your 3 choices, but with the upgrades you will end up doing to make the car competetive to your liking you will have spent the amount of the TC5. I have the Cyclone S and I am about to convert it to a drift car due to the front plastic suspension parts break easy. I have had better luck with a TC3 parts wise. It seems that people have upgraded the Cyclone S to a Cyclone with aftermarket parts.
Umm, no, you can get a TA05R for about $250, & it needs NO upgrades to be competitive, & if my math is correct, that's about $100 less than a TC5....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

The TA05 and Cyclone S, steer clear of the HPI Sprint 2 it's a piece of rubbish. I currently have the cyclone S and havent had to upgrade much of the car to be competitive. The Tamiya TA05 is very impressive and competitive, I would suggest the TA05 if cheaper, if not the cyclone is great for stock racing. WIll be more than happy to help with setups etc if you get the cyclone S.

Cheers
Adrian
Old 08-08-2007, 04:26 AM   #8
Tech Elite

The old Sprint wasn't all that great, drove well but parts were quite poor quality, the Sprint 2 is only slightly different, I wouldn't say it is the best choice of the three.

Plenty of TA05's and Cyclone S's run locally. Both can be competitive. Of the two I would say the TA05 has the edge, especially in R spec. Parts quality on the Cyclone S seems to let it down, lots of people seem to have failures of drivetrain parts and to a lesser extent suspension parts, whereas the TA05 is pretty robust.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:48 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Tamiyas to me have always had a reputation of being bullet proof and the TA05 is no exception.

I too went from the tc3 to something newer for stock racing and I cannot say I have regretted buying the ta05 one bit.

If you are serious about your racing though I really would consider upgrading the chassis and shock towers to carbon or graphite, to reduce the chassis flex.

Then, as and when you can, upgrade the driveshafts to universals and shocks to the alloy TRF versions. They will just help the car along nicely but are not needed from the word go.

Compared to a tc3, you will find it VERY difficult to break the uprights, wishbones... or just about anything really! on a ta05, period.

Its not easy to bind the bearings on a ta05 by tightening up the wheel nut too much either, did it a few times with the tc3 and not even realised it until the car started handling odd.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:28 AM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
Umm, no, you can get a TA05R for about $250, & it needs NO upgrades to be competitive, & if my math is correct, that's about $100 less than a TC5....
That maybe true, however I was taking into consideration that not every local hobbyshop sells parts for everyone of these cars therefore waiting time for a part is what I consider part of the cost of a car. So just consider the parts availability in your area as part of the decision process.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:32 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Cyclone
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG. View Post
That maybe true, however I was taking into consideration that not every local hobbyshop sells parts for everyone of these cars therefore waiting time for a part is what I consider part of the cost of a car. So just consider the parts availability in your area as part of the decision process.
In my opinion parts availability is overrated. Its impossible for the LHS to carry every part for any car (much less them all). Find out what parts are most likely to break on your car and buy a couple extra of those and you are set. For mosts cars these are the same parts. Things like steering knuckles (and the hardware to attach them), maybe a-arms, c-hubs, etc. Really anything that is exposed. Id rather know I have the parts in my bag then wonder if the store has it when Im racing.

On the TA05 Ive never really broken anything. I have worn parts out and torn screws out of things which require replacing. The king pin set and steering knuckles I would say need replacement the most.

Most LHS can get most of the Tamiya parts in a day or two since they are carried by Horizon and Great Planes. Or you can order all the parts from RC Champ in Japan and get them in a few days (and cheaper).

Oh and get a TA05, you wont be disappointed.

Last edited by or8ital; 08-08-2007 at 11:41 AM.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I went through a similar debate and after seeing a cyclone s at our last race went that way.
Ultimate has them for $125, so I got 2. The kit tires worked for a guy at our last parking lot race. So I figure the second kits body and tires made it a reasonable price for a spares car.
Syxxstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #14
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
Cyclone
Ditto!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
In my opinion parts availability is overrated. Its impossible for the LHS to carry every part for any car (much less them all). Find out what parts are most likely to break on your car and buy a couple extra of those and you are set. For mosts cars these are the same parts. Things like steering knuckles (and the hardware to attach them), maybe a-arms, c-hubs, etc. Really anything that is exposed. Id rather know I have the parts in my bag then wonder if the store has it when Im racing.

Well parts avalibilty, My track Speed World raceway has EVERY part for the cyclone lol, Im shure he has almost every part to build another cyclone, But I know I havent had to order any cyclone parts ever....And I do break stuff lol
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

The great thing about the cyclone S is that you can use the cyclone parts and also majority of the pro 4 parts, plus 3racing make some very nice purple bling for the car as well.

Could I please grab a web link to ultimate Syxxstring? Thats a damn good price the best I can get atm is $165.00

Cheers
Adrian