R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #526
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

The seal retainer is a tight fit. There is an additional problem. If you push on the piston the seal retainer and shock shaft need to be aligned at the same time. This is difficult. Instead push the shock shaft up about 1/2 inch, now force the seal retainer in. Then push the shock shaft down and center it on the output hole to push it home. The seal retainer is a tight fit as it holds the shock body by friction alone.
John
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #527
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks much John, that did the trick!
Silva Concepts R50 Oval
Custom Works Dominator; FT TC3 Trans Am
t4mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #528
Tech Elite

You are welcome.

Novak LRP Hybrid Does not Work
I had a new X11 3.5 motor in hand, so I tried again to put a Novak HV Rotor in an LRP X11 can. Although I could get it to spin smoothly with a Novak rear bearing, the magnet part of the Novak rotor is too far from the sensors. It works only a little. A lot of sputtering. Just though I would finish this report. The goal was a more durable rotor for this X11 motor. The ones in service are starting to trickle back. I measured the diameters of the rotors again and the LRP is the largest by about .050 inch. I think they need to adopt Novaks chrome plating instead of the epoxy coat to increase the durability.
John
Old 02-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #529
Tech Elite

Track temp 90's

I put 9 good runs on the TC5 this week. Without any track prep I am getting 11.5 minute run times with the X11 3.5., so that is pretty huge run time. Gearing has crept to 10.0 to keep motor temps right at 179F after a long run. Motor temp was good today even with some sugar water treatment.

The car has started to oversteer a bit. I have made tiny changes to compensate.

I replaced all the missing droop screws which you tend to throw away with the broken arm pieces.

I moved the front upper shock mounts in one hole as I am running a locked diff (this is opposite to normal)

I replaced the spacers holding my rear arms to 2.75 degrees of toe in. They had compressed a little. I mentioned this previously.

The car was pretty fast in practice today.

I have three of those FMA direct Revolution battery. The old ones feel like the new one in the car. Probably 40 runs each now on the old ones. I am really pleased. I ordered three LiPo sacks which are reasonably priced now to add some more charging protection as they age. It would be a shame for a failure of one to ruin three in the charging can.

I have had a series of pins vibrating out of the front drive axles. Then they break. I make spares by sanding a short piece of piano wire in the Dremmel. The pins don't come in the rebuild kit which is very strange. I have upgraded to red Loctite on the retaining screw. This seems to work better. No problem since.

TiR parts from Hong Kong are not in yet. Replacing Pin pillows is a constant hassle still. Replacing them with sway bars installed is not too easy.

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-09-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #530
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

John,

It appears LRP might be improving their rotor design. Some blurry pictures from the Nuremburg toy fair show two new rotors (presumably for tuning, and to match the legal sizes for 13.5/10.5 racing). Anyway, they appear to be nickel plated, which is good news.

http://forum.el-me.gr/gallery/displa...um=121&pos=129
http://forum.el-me.gr/gallery/displa...um=121&pos=131

Some other cool stuff as well:

http://forum.el-me.gr/gallery/displa...um=121&pos=132
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #531
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
John,

It appears LRP might be improving their rotor design. Some blurry pictures from the Nuremburg toy fair show two new rotors (presumably for tuning, and to match the legal sizes for 13.5/10.5 racing). Anyway, they appear to be nickel plated, which is good news.

http://forum.el-me.gr/gallery/displa...um=121&pos=129
http://forum.el-me.gr/gallery/displa...um=121&pos=131

Some other cool stuff as well:

http://forum.el-me.gr/gallery/displa...um=121&pos=132
I believe the new LRP/Nosram rotors are 12.5 and 13.0 mm in diameter. Have this on good authority from the UK Nosram distributor.

HiH
Ed
Old 02-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #532
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
Track temp 90's

TiR parts from Hong Kong are not in yet. Replacing Pin pillows is a constant hassle still. Replacing them with sway bars installed is not too easy.

John
Hey John,

You know, I was short some pillows one day and a mate gave me some from his Xray T2. They are not a perfect fit but they have not broken or fallen off. Thought you might like to try them.

I'm also going to try a method of removing slop that if successful I'll tell you about. Very hush hush at the moment

Still a great thread, I look forward to your posts Best thread in the forum I reckon.

Cheers,
Warwick.
B4Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #533
Tech Elite

I look forward to that Nickel plated rotor. I have five! of the older epoxy covered ones now in various states of transit for warantee replacement. 2 tested ones are in my box ready to race. That's way too much money in 3.5 motors. I'll have to see what the stock rotor is in mm. Maybe a 13.mm is bigger than stock and worth a try in the TC.

I'll try those X-ray pin pillows.

Thanks for the posts guys.
John
Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #534
Tech Elite

I received my TiR parts from the retailer in Hong Kong. It took 11 days. Came USPS in a box with signature required. The parts have part numbers now. No invoice was included. I would prefer to get them from this retailer as I have had some problems direct. I look forward to a longer test of the delrin spool outdrives.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-12-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #535
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
I received my TiR parts from the retailer in Taiwan. It took 11 days. Came USPS in a box with signature required. The parts have part numbers now. No invoice was included. I would prefer to get them from this retailer as I have had some problems direct. I look forward to a longer test of the delrin spool outdrives.
John
Hi John,

Thanks for sharing the info on this Taiwan retailer... however, it seem like Murdock Rc is based in Iowa? Not Taiwan? Can't find anything on TiR parts from their online store too..

Can shed some light on this? Thanks!
pole_position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #536
Tech Elite

I think I may have the threads mixed. I fixed the link to the Hong Kong retailer.
http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/index.php?manufacturers_id=130&osCsid=k0ejfj4ugmnh as3usight5bvp4

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-12-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #537
Tech Elite

My touring car awaits a race. It has been raining us out.

Much More Racing Silver Solder

In the meantime our track has started an oval class with 4 cell NiMH. I have a report on Trinitys EP 4600 batteries on the Pantoura thread. One thing I want to mention here is that Deans Solder is unavailable at present. There is a good substitute in Much More Racings 4% silver solder. The Hong Kong retailer in the post above has this as well as Deans (both are backoredered; never mind.)
I have tested Much More Racing solder and it is slightly more conductive than Deans and should have a slight edge in strength as well as good wicking ability to get under battery bars. Novak solder is not doing as good a job of wicking here.

Here is the manufacturers link
http://teammuchmore.com/product_info.php?products_id=60

Here is another retail shop in Greece that maybe has some for sale

http://eshop.rcring.com/index.asp?page=viewProduct&prodid=67

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-22-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: both are backordered
Old 02-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #538
Tech Elite

Saturday Practice
We prepped only a little piece of the track today with sugar water to run oval.
I ran my TC5 on the full track. The TC5 literally slayed all comers, 1/8 th and 1/10 th scale alike. The TiR spool worked really well. No need to touch it after 24 minutes of track time. Several taps on the boards. Eventually we will have to find a new brand of tire as I hear Takeoff CS 32's are out of production. Sorex 32's are a good substitute but don't wear quite as long. The durability of the car seems to be up to snuff now with this TiR spool. The only previous complaint was the associated spool and pin pillow arrangement. These need constant attention on a high grip situation with a powerful motor. The center shaft bearing is 8 x 4 x 3 mm. This seems to be out of stock at a few places. The BRP Losi MiniT has a similar bearing which I ordered. It has teflon seals and is hopefully filled with grease. This would make it much better than the Asc #31402 steel shields with oil. I will report on these when I get them in.
I received them and they are the right size and look good.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 03-01-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #539
Tech Elite

Practice Session
I got about 50 minutes of runtime on the TC5 today in difficult conditions. We had put a good coat of sugar water on the track Friday which I wetted with hot water today. This usually brings up medium traction with low tire wear for the Nitros. We had a huge bonfire next to the track from the neghbors clearing land (up to 50 foot high flames). With unfavorable winds this kept the track covered with fine grey ash and even a few .5 extinquished inch cinders.

Prism Foams
This is the first time traction on rubber tires failed me. The car was really squirrely. Lap times were 4-5 seconds off my normal pace at first. This improved later. I put on the prism foams which like sugar water treatment. I was actually .5 seconds faster for the first time on foams in the TC5. Still a few seconds off the pace. I added 2 teeth to the 48 pitch pinion and ran a 90/20 with the foams. They showed very good acceleration forward but still slid around in the corners a lot. I reduced steering with a one hole change in on the front upper shock mounts.( Locked diff equiped). It was very good loose track practice. I improved about 3 seconds over the course of the day.

The Tir locked diff worked great. Thats a lot of runtime without having to mess with the front end blades. It does not use blades but a flexible Nylon outdrive cup.

I still gave quite a few gas cars a hard time, but they had the edge with the extra weight pushing though the dust.

John
Old 03-04-2008, 06:18 AM   #540
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey John, got a problem with my tc5. Just finished building it and am trying one of the AE setups. The ride height calls for a 5mm ride height and my car sits about 12mm on 26mm rubber tires and the shock collars are all the way up and without batteries, speed control and receiver. Looked at this thing every which way I know but I must be missing something. Thought I better ask before I get too frustrated with this. Any ideas?
Silva Concepts R50 Oval
Custom Works Dominator; FT TC3 Trans Am

Last edited by t4mania; 03-04-2008 at 06:53 AM.
t4mania is offline   Reply With Quote