R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #301
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Stratus 3.0 Multipurpose

This is the first new body for my TC5. The body requires some trimming of the front bumper foam for the best fit. I should have done this before making the body post holes. I used a scroll saw followed by smoothing on the belt sander. I hear an electric knife also works well on the foam. The rear wing is a rugged molded Protoform unit.
The car ran well in the last session. At sessions end the table was littered with pin pillows. I ran just a little while driving at track level. The car is turning really hard. I am pleased. I could not get the old JRXS to do the same except with brand new tires.
Cell pro Revolution packs were coming off the track in the touring car at 110 F!!! This is just great. Max Amp packs were coming off in the pan car at 140 F. One max amp pack died mysteriously. It will not take a charge any more.
I thougth I would comment, now that I have quite a few runs on the TC5, that it is definitely built on the rugged side except for the spool. Little taps that used to break the JRXS are just shrugged off by the flexible a-arms and mount. A note to the carpet guys, you can increase the rigidity of the arms some by running the ears of the toe shims down. I have not broken a part other than a pin pillow since the very first runs.

Since I am running against the Nitros instead of in a class, I have decided to run the car light. I ran without the bottom part of the front bumper last time. I supported the foam bumper with some body washers. I am at 48 ounces. Other more severe lightening tricks to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks-stratus-multi-purpose-017-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-21-2007 at 09:56 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #302
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

are those rubber or foam tires? Any info on the hard wing vs. the softer stock wings?
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #303
Tech Elite

I don't have the foam tires yet, so these are old rubber tires. I like the wheels, but they are no longer available. I expect foams to come in today. I think the Nitro shoes had an interesting wheel as well as this Jaco Prism model with water drop shaped openings.
The wings work about the same, this one is slightly heavier and more durable.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-15-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #304
Tech Elite

Here is a chart from Trinity to convert the colors to shore rating. I imagine there are differences as with pan cars two pink rears from different brands behave a little differently. It seems most of the Nitro car foams have shore rating, but some of the electric foams are sold for use on carpet with the color ratings.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks-trinity%2520shore%2520rating%2520system.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-15-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #305
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
I posted this post in the wrong thread. Please disregard.
sucks to get old huh those rims look like the old schumacher one's from waaaay back in the days.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:28 PM   #306
Tech Elite

Takeoff CS32 GL. Maybe a couple years old while they were hunting around for a suitable wheel for the preglued tires. Yeah

I posted a new Shore/Color chart above.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-15-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #307
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I liked those rims. I'm all dished out these days. That was my 2nd favorite rim. The first was the Gumby rim by proline. Why are we using a dish wheel rather than the open type rims of yester year...
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #308
Tech Elite

I like a spoked rim as well.
Note there is a new shore vs color chart up above.

Here is a pic of the new GRP touring foams. They are 26 x 58 so should not require cutting. This is the front at full lock. Should be enough steering throw. If not I can move my lower shock mount in. The rear is already in and has plenty of room for these. I might try them out Wednesday. My eperience with the pan car tells me to use traction compound for improved traction and better wear. I plan to try Corraly Jack the Gripper which worked very well on GRP foams. Also in the box. Tiny shocks. New upper outdrive bearing caps. A Can Am body. A low shock tower is in the works.

Also note the trimmed and lightened front bumper assembly.

Weights Foam vs Rubber
Foamed Wheel Weight 18 gram
Rubber tired wheel weight 29 gram
Thats a 37% weight reduction on the rotating mass!

The car is at 45.8 ounces

John
Attached Thumbnails
Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks-grp-foams-full-lock-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-15-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #309
Tech Addict

I have used the GRP's (26mm front, 30mm rear) and they fit perfectly fine, the rear 30mm are a 2mm offset.
I mainly use ATS foams (26mm,30mm) and the 30mm rears wear a slight notch in the ballcup on the bottom of the shock on the first run, but nothing to worry about.

On our track the asphalt specific foams (ie. nitro foams) work well on electric TC, running the rears on the front however does not work, the car is undrivable, sooooo much front grip it isn't funny and the fronts wear out too fast using rear rubber.
I generally use 37's for practice if I have them and save my 35's for race day.
Interestingly when going from 37's all round to 35's all round there is a touch more steering with the 35's, it seems the overall change in shore effects the balance of the car some

Quote:
Stratus 3.0 Multipurpose
During some testing at the start of the year I did for a big race meet, initially on my FTTC4 and then a Cyclone, I found that I didn't like the AP Stratus.
I was using the AP and I had the carpet version so I just put that on to try and wow what a difference, the overall balance was the same but the front was stuck and very predictable, I found with the AP the nose of the car tended to "wobble" around mid corner (well most of the corner) and it didn't give me any confidence, with the carpet version on I could drive much harder, and with more confidence, through the corners.
This also carried over to the DNA body, it was very similar to the carpet Stratus, maybe a touch more steering, but only very slight. I eventually settled on a Mazda6 for the car just because I needed the extra steering.
I will try and find a pic of my home track.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:05 PM   #310
Tech Addict

Found a pic, best one I could get unfortunately
It is somewhat distorted from being stitched

We run 1/10th IC as well
Our 12turn limited Mod TC cars are within a 10th of the IC boys, both doing low 20sec laps, very occasionally breaking into the 19's
Old 10-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #311
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
I like a spoked rim as well.
Note there is a new shore vs color chart up above.

Here is a pic of the new GRP touring foams. They are 26 x 58 so should not require cutting. This is the front at full lock. Should be enough steering throw. If not I can move my lower shock mount in.
Nice...remember that w/ the 58mm tires you need to check your roll out...compare what you have now to what you had w/ rubbers and try to ge the as close as possible so you have an even point of comparison...maybe at 58mm your lower roll out will give you bit less top end than what you had w/ rubber tires, and higher tooth pinion will be needed...

I'd also recommend that you dont use tire sauce on your first few laps, you get a feel of what the car is doing and how it handles with the new tires...remember to use about 2.5mm to 3mm of camber...you'll adjust as needed.

About the rotational mass...yep- that's where the higher speeds come in and quicker acceleration...you can take the car to limits not possible w/ rubber tires. Cant wait for your report on Wednesday...hope all goes well.
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #312
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

that word nanophosphate is so sexy it gives me wood!

AE - Reedy - LRP - Hobby Velocity - XP Digital - JConcepts
Maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #313
Tech Elite

Sean-I knew we would get you in here one way or the other.
yyhayyim-Thanks for the tips.
Fathead-I wonder if you have better luck with carpet bodies because you use sugar water. The traction is more carpet like, We do not. If I had my wing as high as the carpet car I think I would loose steering. I have not put it that high, but I did raise it 1/8 inch on the last body and it had the desired effect of planting the rear on the sweeper. Thanks for the foam tire info.

Here is a pic of the mini shock front end. I am just playing here at this point and seeing if I can reach a target weight of 43 ounces. I am at 45.1 with this mod. I have only done this mod to the front. I'll test the car on foams first with standard shocks so the setup info will be useful.

Note the camber link is in the same position as before. I have removed the inner set of link holes and added an outer set. The car really has no negative camber gain at present with roll. I think this is helfpull for the foam tires and may let the car work with the wide front tires. My 1/10 pan uses 30 mm wide front tires.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks-grp-foams-full-lock-small-shocks.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-16-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:37 PM   #314
Tech Addict

We don't allow any sort of traction additive on tyres or the track, I think it was yyhayyim that was talking about using sugar water on the track.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #315
Tech Elite

I am glad to hear that you race on the 35's. That is what I wanted a race tire. I can practice on rubber tires. That was Tuner EM that ran on a sugared track. Sorry for the mixup. Nice track BTW.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-15-2007 at 10:03 PM.