R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #271
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey Special106,

Looks great. Is there a link where we can buy that battery tray? It looks the goods
B4Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #272
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Ohh, I want the cnc lipo tray! Shoot,PM me with info and Ill pay right now...Does it fit the orion 4800 mah lipo pack?
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:52 PM   #273
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
yyhayyim-That was an interesting link. Sounds like the parts can be pressed at lower pressures than steel but at high temperature. That would make a really nice locked front diff at twice the hardness of titanium.
A lot less expensive and lighter also...Imagine all drive train components made from liquid metal tech...thinner and lighter driveshafts, pins, screws, hinge pins, shafts, bulkheads, etc...cars will be more durable also due to the stronger parts, too...price drop and better quality parts...I hope AE and others really start taking a good look at this technology. Its already being testeda nd used in the army, and aircraft...
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #274
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4Bandit View Post
Hey Special106,

Looks great. Is there a link where we can buy that battery tray? It looks the goods

WOW! That Lipo tray is what I need!! I had thought of doing that but I do not have any of the resources to do it. How much???
Old 10-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #275
Tech Rookie

deae Friends
Thanks for compliment. The lipo support, will come put in sale officially between a mounth approximately, for hour has available only 1, is waiting for that me they deliver them.
the cost is of 30 euros + shipment.
here some photos with small improvements in order to install the lipo:

in this photo the spacer from 5mm are looked at that I have mounted
in order not to exceed with the serration. Between the battery and the
battery strap now there is a small space, so as to to make that the
flexibility of the chassis is not committed

Ciao

Ivan
special106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #276
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Thanks for the reporting and pics of the new product. Good Luck!

I put some more time on the TC5. Here is a report of gearing that I have tried oudoors on a long track with the X11 3.5 motor.

10.875 Best top speed, good performance, low temperature, Rotor exploded.

10.58 Best corner exit rip. This gear suits the traction of the CS32 the best on our track. This is my preferred gear at the moment.

10.00 close to recommended for a long track. Car is smoother. Tires will loose traction if over throttled. You need to ramp up throttle gradually. Things ran hot.

gearing up and moving the GTB to a cooler spot were cancelling moves. The GTB thermalled at 2 minutes 45 seconds at a 120F track temp. LRP TC edition should be here for Saturdays testing.

My errant pin pillow is in better shape this time after the two small adjustments that I described above.

John
John
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #277
Tech Elite

Cellpro Revolutions Lithium Polymer Batttery

I had an oportunity to test my two new LiPo's from FMA direct. I also looked at some photographs and pack construction details which lead us to believe the original source is Saehan Enertech. Data on cycle life and performance of this cell is reported to me to be good.

Generally a LiPo pack will have the best numbers on the second or third cycle. I had one cell with a couple of cycles which tested:

Cell Pro Revolution 7.35 V at a 20 A discharge. Pack temp was reasonable at 110 F rising from 70F. Capacity was 4977 mA-h. I am extremely pleased. Track performance mirrored these good numbers. This is the best average voltage I have measure for a LiPo. Certainly a larger capacity battery tends to measure better, but these are not that much bigger than max amps which were about 4200 mA-h when new. Here are some numbers on some other packs I have tested for comparison. Now if you run softsided packs and can squeeze in this very long 150 mm long pack then I would recommend this pack so far. It does have a hard plastic and fiberglass thin protective plate on the top and the bottom to give a little protection to the edges.

Now I want to tell you that I have tested a NiMH pack that had this same average voltage with powerful mod motors vs a LiPo ballasted to the same weight that only had 7.25 V average. The LiPo had a lot more punch. It just delivers the big amps better. This cellpro pack has the most punch that I have ever seen in the touring car.

AmpMax Pack A 746 seconds at 20 Amps, 4144 mA-h, 7.16 V average
AmpMax Pack B 735 seconds at 20 Amps, 4083 mA-h, 7.19 V average

Orion 3200 mA-h 2S1p Avionics LiPo when new
20A discharge, 574 seconds, 3194 mA-h, 6.87 V average
The guts of this pack are identical to the graphite edition 3200 mA-h pack.

Apogee Magnum 3800 Lithium Manganese LiPo
Pack C 20 Amp discharge, 6.94 V average , 3744 mA-h tested when new. This was my most recently purchased pack.
Pack A and B tested better when new but deteriorated to about this voltage fairly rapidly with only a few months of age and use. The capacity deteriorated to about 3100 mA-h at present after a few months of hard use.

Scorpion Lithium Cobalt Dioxide Pack 3200 mA-h
20 A discharge, 612s, 3400 mA-h, 7.19 V
This pack maintained voltage and capacity extremely well with use and time.
An improvement to the very long leads on the original pack improved this voltage to 7.25 V

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-05-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:34 PM   #278
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We've been hearing that Saehan Enertech makes, perhaps, the best cells available. Your reports are very encouraging. I'm interested to know if they'll hold good numbers as the cycles pile up.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #279
Tech Elite

Syndrome-Will do. More testing to come.

Track Report: Track very green, just dried, 110F Track Temp

I received my second LRP Sphere TC edition speed control. I quickly installed it and had a good practice today. I made two timed runs of five minutes + 3 laps. No Thermal Shutdowns!!!!. Motor temps on the bottom were about 167 F. On top in one spot innermost top, they reached 190 F. That's very tolerable in my opionion with the new sintered rotors. I made decent lap times condidering the traction. I can run a fan in hotter weather.

On the 3rd run I fell victim to a problem I had already warned about in this thread. The front pulley fell off of the flange of the spool. All the screws were gone. I had used a blue Loctite paste. I put the pulley back on with a liquid locktite this time and tightened the crap out of those tiny 2 mm screws. Locked diff vibration from the cvd's is what causes things to get loose here. If it happens again I will use red loctite. Small screws can actually withstand the stronger hold of the red locktite and still stay serviceable.

I had little steering, but then there was little traction either. On race day things will be much better from the traffic. There were only two guys running in the afternoon today.

John

I put a Lexan shelf under the top strap, all the way to the motor, to help support the LRP TC edition where its weight would do the most good. I ended up only 1 ounce light on the right rear corner. I am still running the car in lightweight trim.

Further inspection reveals one front wheel stripped on the hex drive adaptor. Keep those wheel nuts tight. Use the HPI 6mm shims to add material to a worn crush spacer. The sweeper outsside left front is worn to the belt. I need to rotate more often. The inside bead of this tire came off the rim. This is unusual on the inside only. That tire really takes a beating at high speed on the sweeper. I am running the full 1/8 scale course as there are some wuss Nitro drivers that cannot stay between the painted stripes on the straight if our short cut board is removed. This board must help bump them back to the middle of the lane.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks-tc5-lrp-top-strap-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-10-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #280
Tech Elite

Track Report
Track Temp 110F. Very green from a recent rain traction low.

I was able to get 4 full runs in today on the TC5. The best laps were .6 seconds faster than a couple of weeks ago. This is the result of several factors including normal driver improvement over a couple of weeks. The battery is better, The gear is now perfect. I have the large rotor X11 3.5 back in the car. The diffs are working properly. When everything is in order the car handles beautifully. Perfectly balanced on the two high speed (48 mph) turns. Good turn in on the infield. Excellent braking ability on the hairpins with no tendency to loose the rear end. It gave the Nitros a good run these last two days when traction was poor.

When something goes a little wrong, like a bead partially unseats, you can tell right away as the car gets some ill manners. Mostly it tends to loose the back end when there is a problem.

The pin pillow replacement lasted four runs. The second replacement lasted only one run. Things are not looking good for the durabiltity here with the Associated spool. The drive axles are holding up well.
John

The picture shows the front of the motor after a run. The pile of rubber built up on it shows that it is getting a blast of cooling air from the slot just in front of it that I made. The FTTC4 used to have these slots. I don't know why this chassis does not. Of course you don't need them if you mount your speed control in that hot locations. Motor temps were good today, about 170F on the bottom after a 5 minute run. No thermalling!

You can see my Spectrum antenna in the pic. It had been working well like this. I had my first glitches with it like this today. I may have to put it vertical again. It is only 3.6 inches long.
Attached Thumbnails
Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks-tc5-motor-cooling.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-06-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #281
Tech Elite

Race Report
105 F, Traction Medium. Takeoff CS 32 GL

The TC5's fastest lap was .8 seconds faster than the last race at 18.9 s. It was also maybe 4 th fastest of the 10 1/10 scale Nitro cars. I qualified mid pack. Won the second qualifier by attrition. None of the
4 other Nitro cars finished. Then the third qualifier was rained out.

I had one small handling problem. The rear would give way unexpectedly a few times a race. I could not tell whether this was car related, or due to passing over a few very small wet spots on the track. I did make an adjustment to rear toe to correct this. I had tried 3 degrees previously and found this to be too much rear toe. I added a .025 inch spacer, (about 1/2 of the thinnest Associated toe shim). This tightened the rear a little bit. I made about four lap test between heats. I could drive the car harder. Then it rained.

My X11 3.5 motor was loose on its endbell before the race. I took it off to retighten. One of the screws was prestripped! The other two came up solid. I need to loctite those two and hope for the best. I have a spare motor now so as not to have problems interfere with the racing.

Race Procedures
check wheel nuts every heat. Check tire bead seating every heat. Reglue every race or (two when new and factory glued). Check that front pin pillow. It is worn through every two heats now. It is easy to change. Pop the inner upper camber link. Put some oil on the brushless pinion side bearing before every heat or two.

The CellPro Revolution pack temperatures are sensationally good at only 110 F after a race. The motor was at 167F upper inner. This is slightly cooler than testing just because it was a cooler day. I am using two packs and two FMA direct Scorpion Chargers. I had full packs for each heat. I am charging at up to 10 amps for the first bit and then turning the charger down to 7.5 amps to finish. I have soldered leads directly to the charger to avoid charging through tiny wires.

Chassis Wear
I noticed some chassis wear under the motor from doing the sweeper at medium traction. There was more roll today. I added half milimeter of ride height to the back and will monitor this wear by painting over it with a sharpie. On the Losi JRXS the chassis was very wide. I ended up beveling the edges of the chassis to avoid touching the edges to the track which reduces traction.

Foam tire for TC
I was interested in testing some foam tires on the TC. I have used foams on my custom pan but never on a TC before so I could use some advice on where to start. At this point I like GRP foams. I suspect from my pan car experience that 35 shore would be about right front and back. The 1/10 Nitros use up to 42 shore on race day. Harder (closer to 42) as the day progresses. If there is no performance advantage over rubber I will return to rubber tires. Sometimes on a green or dusty track the rubber tires have a definite edge.

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-07-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #282
Tech Addict

35 all round or 37 all round will be fine, the gas cars at our outdoor asphalt track use 40-42, so it sounds about the same.
I usually use 30mm rears and 26mm fronts but many people use 26mm all round and make it work.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #283
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 139 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to twistedone

cover diff holes with 2 small strips of battery tape and the hole by the motor and alot of foam is not collected at that point and no rise in any temps either

pics show me using servo to mount some stuff to clean it up a little
Attached Thumbnails
Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks-tc51.jpg   Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks-tc52.jpg  
twistedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #284
Tech Elite

Fathead. OK then I will start with 35's. Have you personally compared them to rubber. Is the wheel lighter overall?.

Twistdone-Thanks for the pics. Neat setup. I was proud of that mound of rubber bits on my motor though. It indicated it was getting some air. Motor was at190F yesterday. It needs all the cooling it can get. In the same vein as your install here is my antenna mount on the servo. It worked great today like this.

Here is a pick of the left side of the spool which has not been giving me trouble. It chunked the pin pillow on the last run and did this damage to the spool in less than a run. I guess that the best procedure would be a Preventative change of both pin pillows whenever you see one getting stretched out. Maybe every two runs at least. I bought a spare package recently, but probably should have bought two packages. Yes this is a piss poor setup for a front spool. Mostly from being aluminum. I thought I would reverify that information.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks-pin-pillow-failure-resized.jpg   Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks-antenna.jpg  
Old 10-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #285
Tech Addict

I haven't personally run rubbers on my car at our track, we run open tyres (rubber or foam) with no additives so foam is faster (all other things being equal).

I'm 99% sure the foam is a lighter rim/tyre combo than rubbers, I normally start my foams at 60mm and go down to about 56mm, after that they start to slide around too much and are hard to drive.

I just had my first race meet on the weekend with the TC5, and the car really wasn't good at all, with us running asphalt with foam, and a 12turn motor limit I'm really shooting in the dark on setup (the car has only prob had 20mins total track time mind you), so I will be interested to see what setup you come up with on foams, I'm still experimenting.

/edit, I was going to hold off using my ITF main chassis plate on the car but I think I may have to, my FTTC4 loved it and the TC5 is exhibiting the same traits the TC4 did with the stock stiff chassis ie. very nervous and hard to setup