R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #256
Tech Fanatic
 
B4Bandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia. St Ives RC Club.
Posts: 960
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
Warwick-Those longer screws came from a metric screw assortment at my local hobby shop.
Cheers John.
B4Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #257
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

OOligan RC-Now is this spool for the second car or has there been a failure. Give us the dirt.

Track Report
Well we had our first cold front. Track temp as a result was only 110F!
Medium traction.

I got a couple of small runs in on the touring car. I received my X 11 3.5 which has the large rotor back from Warrantee. I geared it 10.58 instead of 10.87 to prevent another rotor explosion. I also had installed the large 4800 mA-h capacity CellPro Revolution cell from FMA direct. In addition I changed back to a late model GTB just to see how it would do in the touring car on this long track.
The car was just ballistic out of the corners. It had faster acceleration for about 20 feet than I have seen in a touring car. Indeed this motor and battery combination are responsible. The car is faster accelerating with just that little bit taller gear. Now the sad news is the GTB was not up to the task. It thermalled about the 2.5 minute mark. I got in two of these runs in on one charge with a cooling period in between. I will have to get another LRP TC edition speed control for the second car. The LRP TC edition seems up to the task.
I recommend this motor for touring car highly. It has good part throttle control in the corners, nice smooth braking-powerful braking if desired. Top speed was no better or very slightly less than the GTB 3.5 R. The X11 with the big rotor certainly has more punch that the 3.5R equipped car with a small rotor. This is only good if you have the traction to handle it. I did today. I do have a big Novak rotor coming for a test. It has been out of stock.

I inspected the pin pillows. I expected trouble. The front spool has one pillow that has stretched so it does not contact the pin any more on one side. Thats just from a 5 minutes of runtime. The car will probably throw this pin pillow on the next run if I don't replace it. I think this is a sorry setup for powerfull mod motors and a spool. WE NEED a STEEL SPOOL. Or that blade driven TIR spool when it becomes available.

Pic is of the spool just getting ready to chunk the pin pillow. It fits flush when new. The other 3 are OK.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks-pin-pillow-failure-002-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 09-29-2007 at 03:06 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #258
Tech Master
 
ooliganRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Under that rock you just kicked over!!!!
Posts: 1,040
Send a message via MSN to ooliganRC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
OOligan RC-Now is this spool for the second car or has there been a failure. Give us the dirt.
there is no dirt...lol just had a small impact on thursday night and destroyed the plastic outdrive on my TiR spool..... forgot to bring spares so was out for the evening.

managed to borrow a xray multidiff, but had no blades ......

funny thing is i ordered a sppol and one way from assocparts warehouse and today got a call from my local store..." pete, those assoc parts you want are in" was like oh bugger, now ill have 2 spools 2 diffs and 1 one way.....

so i may be selling on soon

got the associated diff outdrives to put in the back of the car with jaad 3/32 black ceramic bearings (tamiya 415 ones) smooth as my bum :P

the blades(pin cushions) fit the tir driveshafts well.

do you guys run a one way or diff on carpet?
ooliganRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #259
Tech Master
 
linger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Retired
Posts: 1,132
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
The batteries come with a little protection for the edges. They have some thin Lexan sheet top and bottom. They also have a nice cushion front and back which explains the extra length. Both of these features will be useful on the touring car.
Hi John,
Just curious about the battery - is the lexan sheet black with fiberglass thread reinforcing it? Also, are the batteries assembled onto a printed circuit board with a foam piece over the board and then covered with shrink? If so, then I have a very good idea who manufactures that pack.
__________________
I used to be a spitter, now I'm a swallower. I graduated.
linger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:22 PM   #260
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

Linger-I'll tell you what I know. I pulled the foam off the tail end of the batt. It is thin gray and adhesive coated on the inner side. The silver cells are wrapped in a white plastic wrap. The hard plate is hard to distinquish from the black outer shrink looking just at the end. Maybe they are fused together. I did not actually see Lexan but it feels like a 1/16 hard layer that I have seen used on Apogee packs. Track performance was good. I'll do a discharge test later this week. That will give me a clue as to the Chemistry. It does appear from feeling the other end that it has a PCB under the foam. The huge leads (10 or 11 gauge) are then covered with a black felt paper like substance. There does seem to be a layer of foam under the board. I have no shrink at the moment to reshink it if I unwrap it.
John

I made some slight adjustments to the TC5 to improve the pin pillow life. I added one shim to the left side of the spool to take out some play and push it to the right. I retightened my suspension mount screws which are shimmed out to give the car the 190 mm width. Both of these together pulled the pin pillow a little deeper into the outdrive.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:54 AM   #261
Tech Master
 
ooliganRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Under that rock you just kicked over!!!!
Posts: 1,040
Send a message via MSN to ooliganRC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
Linger-I'll tell you what I know. I pulled the foam off the tail end of the batt. It is thin gray and adhesive coated on the inner side. The silver cells are wrapped in a white plastic wrap. The hard plate is hard to distinquish from the black outer shrink looking just at the end. Maybe they are fused together. I did not actually see Lexan but it feels like a 1/16 hard layer that I have seen used on Apogee packs. Track performance was good. I'll do a discharge test later this week. That will give me a clue as to the Chemistry. It does appear from feeling the other end that it has a PCB under the foam. The huge leads (10 or 11 gauge) are then covered with a black felt paper like substance. There does seem to be a layer of foam under the board. I have no shrink at the moment to reshink it if I unwrap it.
John

I made some slight adjustments to the TC5 to improve the pin pillow life. I added one shim to the left side of the spool to take out some play and push it to the right. I retightened my suspension mount screws which are shimmed out to give the car the 190 mm width. Both of these together pulled the pin pillow a little deeper into the outdrive.
get a feeling Craig was bored at vegas????


ooliganRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:50 AM   #262
Tech Master
 
ooliganRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Under that rock you just kicked over!!!!
Posts: 1,040
Send a message via MSN to ooliganRC
Default

update pics of my tc5





these show pics for brushless and my cool can fan
ooliganRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #263
Tech Master
 
ooliganRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Under that rock you just kicked over!!!!
Posts: 1,040
Send a message via MSN to ooliganRC
Default

here is my stock 27T set up see how much weight is added... also another 30g under front bumper





new spool in this one can clearly see the pin cushions
ooliganRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:57 AM   #264
Tech Master
 
ooliganRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Under that rock you just kicked over!!!!
Posts: 1,040
Send a message via MSN to ooliganRC
Default

and this is what it looks like dressed:




this is the TIR diff, very clever idea



here are the worlds CVD's fron TiR

ooliganRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #265
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

Thanks for the pics. Nice Paint!

Last edited by John Stranahan; 09-30-2007 at 11:07 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #266
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

GTB second test.
I thought I would test the TC5 with the GTB one more time for heat tolerance. I have moved the GTB away from the motor for better motor cooling and GTB cooling. Corner weights are much improved. From a 2.5 ounce deficit on the right rear corner to less than an ounce deficit like in the photo. The car is at 48 ounces and would need lots of those little lead pieces like OolicanRC's car has. I am also going to run the LRP x11 3.5 motor a little closer to its reccomended long track gearing at 10.00. I don't know how this will affect the heat build up, but it will take off a little rip out of the corners and make the car smoother to drive. Maybe a hair more top speed. I got no takers for 5 cell at my track, so I have a surplus A 123 battery and charger for sale. I have a second LRP TC edition speed control on the way. It is doing quite well with the heat.

I have previously mounted a GTB on the top deck of a Losi JRXS. It worked better there. It is cooler being away from the motor. Handling is little affected. On this car a permanent install would require maybe a little graphite shelft screwed to the top deck. I'll see how the temperature goes.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks-tc5-gtb-top-deck-003-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 09-30-2007 at 11:25 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #267
Tech Master
 
ooliganRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Under that rock you just kicked over!!!!
Posts: 1,040
Send a message via MSN to ooliganRC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
GTB second test.
I thought I would test the TC5 with the GTB one more time for heat tolerance. I have moved the GTB away from the motor for better motor cooling and GTB cooling. Corner weights are much improved. From a 2.5 ounce deficit on the right rear corner to less than an ounce deficit like in the photo. The car is at 48 ounces and would need lots of those little lead pieces like OolicanRC's car has. I am also going to run the LRP x11 3.5 motor a little closer to its reccomended long track gearing at 10.00. I don't know how this will affect the heat build up, but it will take off a little rip out of the corners and make the car smoother to drive. Maybe a hair more top speed. I got no takers for 5 cell at my track, so I have a surplus A 123 battery and charger for sale. I have a second LRP TC edition speed control on the way. It is doing quite well with the heat.

I have previously mounted a GTB on the top deck of a Losi JRXS. It worked better there. It is cooler being away from the motor. Handling is little affected. On this car a permanent install would require maybe a little graphite shelft screwed to the top deck. I'll see how the temperature goes.
John
go raid your local tyre fitters... I did
ooliganRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #268
Tech Elite
 
yyhayyim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Weston, FL
Posts: 3,424
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

What we need is someone to begin using "liquid metal" in their design!

www.liquidmetal.com

Stronger and more durable and lighter spools, drivetrain components, bulkheads, suspension, etc,
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #269
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

yyhayyim-That was an interesting link. Sounds like the parts can be pressed at lower pressures than steel but at high temperature. That would make a really nice locked front diff at twice the hardness of titanium.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #270
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7
Default TC5 italian upgrade

dear Friends,
I call Ivan and are an Italian boy who runs, with the fantastic TC5, in the Team Associated Italy.
I wanted to put
to you to acquaintance of triks, that we have realized in
exclusive right for this model.
Support for Lipo battery:
C40 Steel, 150g for in order to obviate to the loss of balance of the model, cnc machined.







this product we sell it at the price of 30 euro

Alluminium "C" hub



They are simply those of the modified TC4, increasing the hole of
implantation with a bottoming drill and heads from 2,4 milimeter.

excused my English, but I am using a online translator.
I hope to have made one appreciate what, signaling these
modernizations to you

Best regards

Ivan


P.S. my car......................................Drescher race replica




Last edited by special106; 10-02-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: error
special106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks. John Stranahan Electric On-Road 2178 12-01-2010 11:26 AM
BRUSHLESS rc18t factory team with lipo dub599 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 06-16-2008 12:14 AM
Factory team B4 Novak brushless with lipo PTP Racing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 12-13-2007 11:36 PM
Factory Team RC18T with hopups and brushless / lipo setup! Cain R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 11-26-2007 05:35 PM
Xray T2R, 2100 mah 2c LiPo, and Mabuchi power: Tech tips and Tricks gacjr0 Electric On-Road 46 11-18-2007 10:09 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:15 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net