R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-10-2001, 06:32 PM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

wow ... i have been away 4 5 days... i dropped by in seremban to test out the super huge track ... i have pics ... will post later

IMHO the track is a SUPERB high speed track .... so much so that i busted my front diffs its bent ... gona try strightening it our or maybe get a new set ...

tried a friendly racers pro3 and i must say that car is COOL but i just cannot gte used to the FLEX it has ...my car is just WAYYYYY too stiff and expecially with a 10x3 motor(a friends motor)+ 6.7 gearing the car was JUST SOO FAST on that huge track which was ment for 1/5 scale ...
while playing side by side tthe pro 3 actually had it chasis broken into 2 pieces after crashing into the sidewall on the begining of the strights ( thats what happen when u have understear ) damn i forgot to take pics of that !

that pro 3 has a super stiff shock setup and compared to mine ... it felt like it has little or no suspension
the owner said it was 90w with 1 hole piston -no droop
hehe i used to love running my car hard and without droop and it was SLOWER! cause it has less grip .... i wanted to ask him to test out a softer setup but too bad he broke his car

alvin ... how many holes in piston do u use with the 50W??

i also changed my friends setup a little and it FELT GREAT!
do give it a try ....
BTW the blue springs i said in my setup is from the 3 speing set not the 4 spring set which means its softer then the red one in the 4 spring set and softer then any springs in the hard tuned springs set ...... if u tried it with the blue springs u have u will be suprised on how the heck i could control such a TWICHY CAR ! lol

ok here are the changes i made to my friends car

full time 4wd

longest and upper hole for the rear camber link on the hubs and on the shock tower

longest and upper hole on the front shock tower for the front camber links

the stearing linkage is set to the QUCKEST RESPONSE ... on knuckle arm .... not sure what u call it ... but i m sure its written in the manual.....

everything else remains the same .,.. BUT BUT BUT if u r using the 4 springs set like the one u said in the singapore thread

TRY THESE SPRINGS INSTEED OF THE ONES USED BY MY FRIEND...
REAR make sure its the red spring and with a slightly higher ride height

FRONT try out all the other springs to see which one handles best
but ofcourse use a slightly lower ride height

also TRY changing the knuckle arm location to normal response and try out with eaach setup ....

ok try this out and let me know .... how u like it....
hehe theres like 4 pple who tested the car and they said it was superb! onpower slight understear
offpower slight overstear

not my favourite kind of car tho but my friend love it - he cant drive with one ways
my coments will be ... well i kinda 'begin' to love it cause i can PUSH the car WAY off my limits.

during overtaking i can eat someone "inside OUT- if u know what i mean (driving off the line or any line and still maintain speed and overtake)" cause its soo easy to control ... totally no rear end slide and it has a turning radius of slightly smaller than 1 meter turning radius at moderate speeds to top speed its like above 2 meters turning radius

now ... i m gona try to achive the same feeling for my car
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 05:40 PM   #17

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Idealy you want to have no flex, so the suspension can...Well...Suspend
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 07:59 PM   #18
Tech Master

argh ... i cant post that 1 MB jpeg file as pic !!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 12-18-2001, 04:15 AM   #19
GKC
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to GKC

Try this set up, works in most singapore tracks only need to change the springs to suit the track.
Front Settings

Camber - -1 deg
Shocks - Laydown (top inner most, bottom outer most)
Downstop - 1 to 2 mm
Toe Out 0 - 0.5 degree
Front Blue Roll Bar
Rideheight 5mm
80wt shock oil
Camber Link: Top Inner Most on shock tower
Tamiya White Springs (Try Blue If you find too much steering or for low grip tracks)

Rear Settings

Camber - -1.5 to 2 deg
Shock - 2nd hole on shock tower from outside, bottom outer most
(For big sweeping tracks, try running the shocks further laid down by 1 hole)
Downstop - 2 to 3mm
Toe in 2 degree
Rear Blue Roll Bar
Rideheight 5mm
80wt shock oil
Camber Link: Top Inner Most Hole
Tamiya Blue Springs (Drop to Yellow for more traction)

I find your setup rolls too much and too reactive for the front. Droop adjustments are very important too, don't neglect them.
This setup provides ample steering and traction. Mild off-power oversteer and on-power understeer. This is a base set-up I use for my car, I fine tune the downstops, springs and others for different tracks (for jurong, try Blue front and Yellow rear)

Last edited by GKC; 12-18-2001 at 05:24 AM.
GKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 04:26 AM   #20
Tech Master

GKC,
vastly different setup from mine. I must try yours once I get 80wt oil and anti roll bars.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 07:15 AM   #21
Tech Master

Default One-way diff?

Err GKC, question. Your car is a one-way car right? Because I notice your front shocks are laid down; on my car (full time 4wd) if I lay my shocks down the turn-in is seriously reduced.

OTOH on my TB01 which is a one-wayed car, if I don't laydown the shocks I either get oversteer or *gasp* traction roll.

Hear from ya.

~Alvin
Old 12-18-2001, 07:21 AM   #22
GKC
Tech Addict

Wrong, i'm running full 4wd, trust me it won't understeer
Old 12-18-2001, 07:23 AM   #23
Tech Master

Wow, ok. Haven't hit 80wt oil yet, must try!!!
Old 12-18-2001, 07:29 AM   #24
GKC
Tech Addict

u can try it with lighter oil first
Old 12-19-2001, 08:58 PM   #25
Tech Master

hehe GKC let me call my friend and try this setup on his car .......
think we will start with 60 W oil first ... 80 might be too high on bumpy tarmac

generaly without testing it yet i am not sure how it will go .... but still i have a feeling its gona be mildly twichy...
what DUAL-RATE u use on ur controler ??
Old 12-20-2001, 03:42 AM   #26
GKC
Tech Addict

You can try lowering your dual rate if you don't feel comfortable handling the car. For me it depends on the track, sometimes I go for full sometimes I drop back a bit. It depends entire on the track.
Old 12-20-2001, 08:13 PM   #27
Tech Master

wow preety good handling ..... quite balanced ... but in order for it to work we had to take the centre one way out ...... but ....

its gona be very BUMPY on our local track ... 60w is too hard ..hehe gona use our usual 50w

hm ... only thing i feel which is not soo nice about this car is that ...the front slides a bit before pulling and turning normally ...
its hard to explain but i thnk those who has gone trough it will understand.... its on flat but not so smooth tarmac .... infront of my house ... for a moment with a body on it felt like an TAO3F pro

because the front slides before gripping just that ... but it happens less than the o3 ( less slide before gripping )

gona try moving down on the anti roll bar to a softer one and see if it helps ... cause removing the bar in front makes the slide go away...

and by removing the rear antiroll bar the car feels like its ON RAILS !

raining now .... my friend cant come over
when it stops we r gona try no rear roll bar and softer roll bar up front ...
which color is the softest?? i have no idea .....
Old 12-21-2001, 02:09 AM   #28
GKC
Tech Addict

Red is the softest. Maybe its because of the surface you are running on that you feel that the car is sliding out. Cause I run on high grip tracks so I would go for the 80wt oil and hardest roll bars. Like I say, it all depends on track. You might want to run the car at 5.5mm to 6mm if your track is very bumpy. For me I like to have the roll bars on full time and I run full 4wd.
Old 12-21-2001, 08:21 PM   #29
Tech Master

hehe ok ... will try red
rained most of the time yesterday .... no chance to fully test ..
only test it with half a battry pack b4 it started raining again
gona test today ...

i still feel thet on the O4 the most difference in handling is felt when u shift the camber links to diff positions others are just minor addjustments to further perfect the handling or maybe mess it up

droop too does some difference to deal with the understear and overstear...

ehhe GKC have u tried one way??diff or centre or both
i just kinda love one ways ever since i mastered them ...
but running full time 4wd again make me feel like i was faster in full time - dunno why

hehe not sure which is faster on the clock tho.

another question .... how do u run ur diff GKC?
front tight rear loose- vice versa or both tight or both loose?

on high traction tracks i will still stick to one ways i think it might feel SLOW but then .... its proven 10 out of 10 times that it IS faster for me .... when i first mastered the one way i did a test with this friend to time me in my SV10 2 ....
not accurate but at almost 2 secs faster almost all the time i think i can be quite sure

heheh i really hope his car is well setup by the end of the day ... i want to play side by side with my friend
Old 12-28-2001, 11:36 PM   #30
Tech Master

playing too much setups lately, and still dunno what's going on with the car. Here's a new one GKC, today I tried the front camber link to the longest position. With the red front white rear it imho handles pretty ok. But I can feel the car "fighting" in the turns. Jack recommended me to swap the white to front and add blue to rear, and WAH LIAO the car handles so much better! I could feel a slight bit of oversteer but I'm sure some softer spring in the rear will solve that. THIS IS GREAT! Other settings have been changed, and my rear end settings are quite different from ya. I don't have blue roll bars or 80wt shock oil yet. Using 45WT today.

Somehow with the previous front camber link, if I used harder springs or laid down the front shocks, my initial turn in would be reduced.

Now with the new setting the initial turn in is NOT as fierce as before, but I get tons of steering after that! Very very maneuverable!

Must now return to my meditation on the change in roll centre/axis and damping. Amen.

Regards,
Alvin