R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   What insert to choose?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/175360-what-insert-choose.html)

Markiempje 08-03-2007 10:02 AM

What insert to choose??

hi all,

this weekend our local club has its 5th club race and its going to be HOT...

track will be around 50 or 60 degrees celcius and we all have to use CS27 tires..
last races i and a couple friends noticed that the lap times go way down as the day progresses when the track got hotter and hotter. the best lap times were in the morning with the sun just shining through the trees.

so i want to know if anybody can get me some tips about inserts, airgap, vent hole, and maybe other possible tips you can think of to get the best grip on the track.
i will be using pro line 24mm dish wheels as these are from nylon and do never break in my experience.

the track is as large as a handball field and is quite technical with lots of quick direction changes. laptimes about 15,9 in the morning and 16.5 when it gets hotter.

What to choose!!??

Many thanks,
Mark

oversquared 08-03-2007 03:45 PM

theoretically the lower the track grip the thinner you go choosing inserts and vice versa..

try RP30's :nod:

Markiempje 08-03-2007 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by oversquared (Post 3547697)
theoretically the lower the track grip the thinner you go choosing inserts and vice versa..

try RP30's :nod:

too bad, we all must use CS27 tires or get disqualified so yeah, maybe in practice i can try m out.

ok, some time agoo i used lots of JB foam powerstripe... these had a big air gap as you recommend for a low-grip condition. but the problem with these inserts was that you'd get a ring in the tire real fast. so after maybe 10 runs you're tire would wear down on the edge of the tire. nasty... something to prevent this and still use thinner inserts?

mark

Skiddins 08-03-2007 06:23 PM

The hotter the track the harder the insert you should use.

We had someone who got good times on RP24's with hard inserts when the track was at 45 degC.

Try some and see what happens.

A big air gap usually helps the tyres to heat because of the extra movement they allow.

So try to find some hard inserts with virtually no air gap.

The higher temps will also reduce the efficiency of the motors, so it porbably isn't all down to the tyres.

Skiddins

Markiempje 08-06-2007 04:36 AM

yesterday i won the 19T stock class!

my orion V2 Element was one of the fastest on the track and i got the fastest laptime of the day :)

i was running on cs27 with CS-medium inserts with quite a airgap.

i also tried HPI red with no airgap but my rear end was way too loose

with the cs-mediums my rear end was kind of like stable but still drifting a liiiiiitle bit.. but that slight drift made my laptimes .2 seconds better..

thx for the help you guys

Mark