Wiki Posts
Search

IRS Balance Tools for TC and 1/12th

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
I dont seem to be having the same results as the rest of the guys. There is a bit of a flat spot on the ball where the pin is interted and the car kinda gets "stuck" on this keeping the chassis level. Takes quite a bit of weight to get the car to trip over this and fall over. Anyone else having this issue?

Yea, a buddy of mine brought his to the track and I was surprised to see the flat spot left on the ball end where the pin was pushed through. I don't understand why they had to push the pin all the way through. Looks like he'll have to fill the hole and sand it to the same radius as the ball.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Is this they way they came or did the user do it. (the flat spot)
Old 11-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

They came out of the box with the flat spot.

The solution I came up with was to use one balance ball and one balance pin. It tilts the ball just enough to get it off the flat spot and only has half the friction of using two pins. I could verify balance down to about 3 grams on either side of the chassis.

Chris
Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ckearns
They came out of the box with the flat spot.

The solution I came up with was to use one balance ball and one balance pin. It tilts the ball just enough to get it off the flat spot and only has half the friction of using two pins. I could verify balance down to about 3 grams on either side of the chassis.

Chris
just doesn't seem right that you have to do that........ IRS obviously wants to and does make good stuff..... this one just has a flaw that looks like it could be easily be corrected.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

I think the only way to build them without the flat spot would be to produce a hollow core and fill the lower part with heavy ballast then insert the pin and cap it.

As it stands now, without the flat spot they would just fall over - perhaps a smaller base would be helpful, but it's only about 2.5mm, so I'm not sure how much smaller it could get.

Either way, you need friction or some other kind of resistance to represent when you're 'close enough' and the balls are better than the pins, but not as good as a ball + pin configuration.

Chris