Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
This is a first, looking to step DOWN in motor class >

This is a first, looking to step DOWN in motor class

This is a first, looking to step DOWN in motor class

Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default This is a first, looking to step DOWN in motor class

I have always been a mod guy, ran stock brushed when I first got into the game, ran 19t for a hot minute and basked in the glory of 12 double tri-rotor, 10 doubles, 8 singles and doubles (D5 flatwire, yea baby) 7 doubles (p-94 oh my God). When I got bit by the brushless bug, I leaped feet first into the fire with the 4.5 then onto the 3.5. Well, running the 3.5 in my Pro 4 and Cyclone has been a blast. Never clocked, but I know I have hit the 50 mph easily and have thoroughly enjoyed speed complimented by good run times and no heat issues (I gear to run, not to thermal). Well, in light of all of this speed and accompanying good times, maintennance and BREAKAGES have occurred; not with relative frequency, but quite enough. I have been reading quite alot about the Novak mild brushless family (8.5, 10.5 yada yada) and am wondering, which should I step down to? I want to keep the car fast, but it doesnt have to be blistering and running li-po, I hear that stock doesnt really stretch the legs of li-po packs. In addition, I will be running this mild modified set-up in my Pro 4, so I will need some gearing suggestions for a medium sized track that will give me good run times. Now that I have hurt your eyes, suggestions please. And please Novak suggestions only....
Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default 7.5

A Novak 7.5 should let you run with any of the mod guys at your club.
Can't help you with gearing your car though.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

I thought the 7.5 was for dirt. Keep em coming, I welcome suggestions and advice.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
I thought the 7.5 was for dirt. Keep em coming, I welcome suggestions and advice.
6.5 and slower are good for dirt. The 5.5 and faster are to light with lipos, I had to add to much weight. Like 110 grams to control it on a rough track.
Are you still running long mains and against gas.?
Carpet,asphalt,rubber,foam.? What class open Mod.?

I have had my best luck with 5800 and 4300 on the dirt.

The 5.5 is wicked not to fast not to slow. As long as it has the sintered rotor.
Might try it. I can only speak for foam carpet on a medium track, the 5.5 was smooth.

I would say if you go any slower than a 5.5 you wont like it.
Its a happy speed.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Whats up my man Un4racing? This will be totally in electric. Will be making my way to Nanuet to race where FastHarry catches wreck. I know the parking lot scene done by bruckner is sizeable but not huge and want to be prepared. I wont do stock (13.5bl/27t brushed) and if I can get my Pro4 to run consistantly at say 30-35 mph, temps linger at or around 120 degrees (my 3.5 hasnt seen temps higher than 140, remember, gear to run, not to thermal boyz) with good recovery speeds for the straights...thats what I'm looking for. I see people talking about getting good mph's with 13.5's and that just sounded a bit odd to me. So I figure, take it down a few notches and actually have some fun, mano e mano or in this case electric with electric.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

get a 10.5 and run with the 19t guys. the novak 10.5 pro has gobs of low and mid range punch and goes down the straight pretty good.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Recommended FD? I know I keep my 3.5 between 9.8 and 10.5 and get some kick ass run times and great speed. Keep em coming gents.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

If you want to step down, run 19turn. It is a good inbetween class. I think that it is the 10.5 in Novak brushless.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Here's what we run out here in Cali. For TC sedan the 10.5 (4300) motor is similar to 19t (similar, never equal). Most clubs will allow it for club racing in the same class so you should be fine. You want to make sure it is a sintered version. Unsintered as you probably know is totally different and geared and handles different. We run on all sorts of layouts and here's what we've found. On medium to tight tracks FDR around 5.2-5.4 (Socal Raceway, Bending Corners Raceway), on larger go 4.8-5.2 (OC Circuit La Mirada). These gears fall within what Steve Weiss at Novak suggests too. With the sintered stuff you'll have no issues with thermal shut down, have good drag brake and better brakes. If you want to keep the speedo cooler, replace the clear fan with the novak black one, it runs better and has more cooling. Just use the shims under the fan to create a gap and make sure you let the heat sink have good air circulation. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by edseb
Here's what we run out here in Cali. For TC sedan the 10.5 (4300) motor is similar to 19t (similar, never equal). Most clubs will allow it for club racing in the same class so you should be fine. You want to make sure it is a sintered version. Unsintered as you probably know is totally different and geared and handles different. We run on all sorts of layouts and here's what we've found. On medium to tight tracks FDR around 5.2-5.4 (Socal Raceway, Bending Corners Raceway), on larger go 4.8-5.2 (OC Circuit La Mirada). These gears fall within what Steve Weiss at Novak suggests too. With the sintered stuff you'll have no issues with thermal shut down, have good drag brake and better brakes. If you want to keep the speedo cooler, replace the clear fan with the novak black one, it runs better and has more cooling. Just use the shims under the fan to create a gap and make sure you let the heat sink have good air circulation. Good luck.
Perfect! These are the answers I was looking for. Anyone have a 10.5 can they want to trade for a 4.5 can? I have one that is getting no wreck. Or, if you have a 10.5 with the sintered rotor, we can swap motor for motor. My 4.5 has a sintered rotor and hasnt/didnt get much burn. I went from 4.5 bonded (blew it, got a new one) then bought the 4.5 sintered, like it and instantly jumped to the 3.5. Talk to me guys. Those who know me know my stuff is well taken care of and TOP NOTCH!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You can exchange your 4.5 to NOVAK for a reman. 10.5 w/ their exchange program. (I believe it's like $35.00 + $10.00 for the upgrade)
Old 07-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SWTour
You can exchange your 4.5 to NOVAK for a reman. 10.5 w/ their exchange program. (I believe it's like $35.00 + $10.00 for the upgrade)
Yea, but, I would rather exchange with someone on the boards instead of Novak taking my motor, $45 dollars, giving me a "slower motor" then flipping my 4.5 and selling it for a profit. Charlie aka Novaktwo, dont be mad at me
Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Company Representative

Yea, but, I would rather exchange with someone on the boards instead of Novak taking my motor, $45 dollars, giving me a "slower motor" then flipping my 4.5 and selling it for a profit. Charlie aka Novaktwo, dont be mad at me
What Novak will do is clean up your old 4.5T, add a fresh rotor and exchange it for some guy returning his 10.5T motor for a faster 4.5T.....

Rinse, repeat.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
What Novak will do is clean up your old 4.5T, add a fresh rotor and exchange it for some guy returning his 10.5T motor for a faster 4.5T.....

Rinse, repeat.
Word? And it goes vice-versa for those looking to step down???
Old 07-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Company Representative

Word? And it goes vice-versa for those looking to step down???
Yes---it goes all directions.....

We clean up all returned motors, (discard the really beat-up ones), add a new rotor, retest and they are ready for the replacement/exchange/upgrade program. You can exchange any 540 motor---working or not---for any rmf series/wind of your choice. New 120 day warranty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.