R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Allycat (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/174696-jlaps-vs-rc-scoring-pro-vs-allycat.html)

CaliberX 07-30-2007 10:06 AM

JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Alycat

Looking for experiences both positive and negative for each piece of software. My club (member owned and operated) is looking to raise money from our members to purchase either one of these.

At about $1K for JLaps and RC Scoring pro, they are up there compared to about $300 for Allycat.

Our needs are PT support and would like computer race management (ie puter calls racers / marshalls so on and so on).

From the demos we have been trying, this is what we see.

JLaps
Computer assisted race management - available
Environment - nice, Laid out in a pretty environement
Ease of navigation - so so
Stability - Never went through a session without it crashing...restarted and never lost anything, but I'd hate for this to happen on one of our championship race.
Price - A little pricey

RC Scoring PRO
Computer assisted race management - Not Available - might be in the future...
Environment - ok - Not as nice as JLaps - but once you play with it, the layout makes sences and is actually easier to navigate
Ease of navigation - Pretty good after a few minutes
Stability - Appears Solid
Price - A little pricey

Alycat
Computer assisted race management - Available and very flexible
Environment - ok - Not as nice as JLaps - but once you play with it, the layout makes sences and is actually easier to navigate
Ease of navigation - so so
Stability - In between JLaps and RC Scoring Pro
Price - What a deal!

As a club, we are looking at all the main events and realise that RC Scoring PRO is at most of them. I'd like objective comments to help us make this one time decision with as much information as we can. There is only so much demo's can do...

timmay70 07-30-2007 10:24 AM

RCSP. Doug's phone number is right on the screen if you ever have any questions. Our club used to run J-lap, which you mentioned is ok to navigate, however, was very crash prone. On a stable computer, RCSP never crashed on us.

Never used alley cat, no comments.

CypressMidWest 07-30-2007 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by timmay70 (Post 3532768)
RCSP. Doug's phone number is right on the screen if you ever have any questions. Our club used to run J-lap, which you mentioned is ok to navigate, however, was very crash prone. On a stable computer, RCSP never crashed on us.

Never used alley cat, no comments.

I've run races using Jlap and RCSP. Our local club uses Allycat, and the club at Hobbytown in Centerville uses Autoscore. My first choice would be RCSP, and a close second would be Autoscore. I don't care for Allycat, and I love Jlap's features, but I've never been to a race where Jlap was used, that didn't have at least one MAJOR scoring issue.

McSmooth 07-30-2007 10:51 AM

If cost is no concern, go with Scoring Pro.

If you need to save some $$$, Alycat will do the job.

I've used them both, and both work well. Scoring Pro is more user friendly and has more features.

or8ital 07-30-2007 11:04 AM

Local track switched to JLap but it seems to crash often. Also not sure if it the user or the software but it doesnt give the qualifying positions at the bottom of the results like RC Scoring Pro did (which they use to use). They switched from RC Scoring Pro due to customer support issues.

InspGadgt 07-30-2007 11:27 AM

Alycat is really good once you get used to the layout. The full versions do seem a bit more stable then when you run them in trial mode. The environment will be changing too. They have been working with our suggestions on their forums constantly to tweak their product. And their support is great!

[email protected] 07-30-2007 12:49 PM

Does any of those softwares have an alarm/sound for Drivers best lap and the best round lap?

Zac R 07-30-2007 12:51 PM

Rc Scoring pro enough said....

Mason 07-30-2007 01:03 PM

I have used autoscore(dos), jlap, rcsp, alycat(older windows version). They all have had their lack of something and their share of issues which if you've been around long enough you'll know that its far better than handcounting...

jlap, when i was using it, would like to release bug fixes and new features in the same build - so if the new features didn't work you were still waiting for another bug fix. As one of the larger weekly racing clubs back in those days I stopped updating for awhile when I found a stable version. That was a couple years ago so it might be different now.

rcsp, there's only 2 things that annoy me about it, 1 is functional the other is a labelling issue. if you signed every one up and decide to change the race length for a class, you can't just go back and change the class settings. The race length is stored with the event entry - so you must know some sql to update that. i had to call doug as I wasn't following the report screen to do it at the time. some of you would say do it in the race screen - thats a PITA if ya have a dozen heats to remember to do that for. the other one is when you set up the mains, if you change the car count from what you have in the class setup - it will label the print out to "1/2 odd" instead of keeping "B MAIN" or whatever.

alycat - i have very limited experience with it. my biggest thing were the naming differences from across the pond.

autoscore, too long to remember.

razzor 07-30-2007 02:21 PM

Laps Free works for us at the onroad electric club and hasnt crashed or let us down.
http://www.rctiming.com/laps_free.shtml

and you save $$$

For a paying system ive only heard good things about RC Scoring Pro.

InspGadgt 07-30-2007 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 3533112)
Does any of those softwares have an alarm/sound for Drivers best lap and the best round lap?

Alycat does

InspGadgt 07-30-2007 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by razzor (Post 3533353)
Laps Free works for us at the onroad electric club and hasnt crashed or let us down.

and you save $$$

The problem with that is it has not been updated in quite some time and does not work with current AMB systems...only older ones.

tallyrc 07-30-2007 03:14 PM

we've used aleycat with very good luck for years, and for the price, since we are a club, you couldn't beat it.. does everything we want it to do..

CaliberX 07-30-2007 04:08 PM

We've got a Alycat crowd and a RSCP crowd at our club. We've been running alycat for a few races and some people really like it.

This purchase is a member donation type deal so its kinda of a one shot deal for us. We might very well be able to raise the cash for which ever software we choose.

Alycat people are very responsive to our recommendations, but I've gotten immediate response from Doug when I emailed him some questions about RCSP. So thats a draw for us.

Alycat does the race management thing - which is way cool when no one wants to lose smack talk time on a evening race. Big races are still going to be called live, but that option is very appealing and what started this whole discussion. RCSP does not have this at this time, but Doug indicates that he has been asked to included it and might do so in the future. Alycat +1point

RCSP is all over the big races - there's gotta be a reason. If its ability to handle 200, 300 or 555+ entry, thats cool, but its not what we need (if we ever get a race with 150+ I'll sh*t my pants). So another draw.

I'm trying to objectively look at this decision without falling into the "all the big guys are running it, therefore its what we need" trap.

Alycat series points appear to suck from the feedback we get from our software tester. No experience/comments for the RCSP - so a potential +1 for RCSP.

This is a tough call to make....Alycat seems like its going to fit like a glove - but the dominance of RC Scoring Pro on the premiere races in North America makes this decision harder.

Anyone know whats used in Europe?

F. Mendoza 07-30-2007 04:28 PM

Our local track uses B&B Auto score. However, the bigger events I've attended RCSP is the way to go. :)

GreaseMonkey 07-30-2007 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by CaliberX (Post 3533656)

I'd like to know that too but mostly as a language concern. We are based in Quebec so having a scoring program that can handle English and French would be handy.

Ed Anderson 07-30-2007 04:51 PM

This was an Alycat disaster. Starts at the bottom of the page.

http://techtalk.teamtrinity.com/tt/s...light=motorama

InspGadgt 07-30-2007 05:19 PM

I wasn't there so I can't say for certain. But based off of what I read on that thread it sounds like the organizers had no idea what they were doing and tried to setup a complex piece of software at the last minute. To me it sounds more like an organizers disaster then an Alycat disaster. If they had tried using any of the more modern software without first being familiar with it the same thing would have happened. Today's lap counting software is very complex and can do a lot of things. But you've got to take the time to learn it first or it will blow up on you.

svt-racer 07-30-2007 06:02 PM

Have used Autoscore for a long time. It is avery solid all the way around program. Allycat, I have tried it, and cannot get used to the navigation.
RC Scoring Pro, very very solid, no crashes the times I have used it. Good programs. JLAP, can't comment since I have not used it. I personally like Autoscore mainly because it suited our needs at the club event, which we have handled 200+ entries on a regular basis.

Joel Lagace 07-30-2007 06:58 PM

Do any of the above have a PRACTICE MODE? I recall attending race that ran the AMB in practice mode and the PT would auto count as soon as you started doing laps. IF i remember correctly once the PT was assigned your name in the program anytime you showed up for practice your name woudl pop up as you started counting laps..

redbones 07-30-2007 07:07 PM

I'm interested if Allycat can do time attck too. If I own my own transponder, can it be linked to my name on the db, so It will automatically tell me what my lap times are even if it's not in race mode?

InspGadgt 07-30-2007 07:10 PM

Alycat does have a practice mode and a driver database. I haven't used practice mode at my race just yet so I do not know how it works.

Mason 07-30-2007 07:10 PM

in any system for it to call off a name, it has to be associated with the PT. RSCP does this in practice mode if you set it to. I think its default. I have turned off the name part so it will call all those oval guys at our place and keep up lol. Jlap also does practice as well. i usually try to have practice mode running at some point during the run up to racing so people can get an idea where they are at and where they need to be.

InspGadgt 07-30-2007 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson (Post 3533771)
This was an Alycat disaster. Starts at the bottom of the page.

http://techtalk.teamtrinity.com/tt/s...light=motorama

Well after finding out what happened in this case...If I were Ed I wouldn't be able to reccomend it either. But as for myself I have had a very good experience with the software. I don't know...maybe it is because i work on computers for a living so I have a better understanding of how it works.

schurcr 07-30-2007 08:59 PM

I've been using RCSP for nearly 3 years now and I wouldn't consider anything else. Tech support is nothing more than a call away, and worth just as much as the software. I've used B&B in the past and back when I used it there was no tech support. Doug (RCSP) has never failed me. If you want rock solid timing software this is it. Even when your hardware fails you the data isn't lost. The software has many many features and yes it can be complicated if you don't understand the advanced features but if you learn the basic it's very easy and very logical. I was able to get my install executible on a Wednesday night, play with it for a couple of hours and then run my first club race that following saturday with very little dificulty and no delays. I've done 3 ROAR national championships with the software in the last 18 months without any software related scoring issues. Last of all RCSP is the official timing and scoring software for all ROAR RMT National Championships and the IIC.

SWTour 07-30-2007 09:35 PM

I've never seen ALYCAT

HATE J-LAP

Never used, but watch RCSCORING PRO used a lot and LOVE it's features

OWN and USE AUTOSCORE for WINDOWS

If I was spending MY money all over again - I'd be using RCSCORING PRO

The AUTOSCORE version I use is the Pro20 version and it works very well, but does have some unworked out bugs...that can drive you nuts if you forget about them.

Ed Anderson 07-30-2007 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by SWTour (Post 3534903)
OWN and USE AUTOSCORE for WINDOWS

The AUTOSCORE version I use is the Pro20 version and it works very well, but does have some unworked out bugs...that can drive you nuts if you forget about them.

Which decoder are you using?

I have the same version of AS.

razzor 07-31-2007 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by InspGadgt (Post 3533413)
The problem with that is it has not been updated in quite some time and does not work with current AMB systems...only older ones.

Originally Posted by razzor (Post 3533353)

and you save $$$

They have updated the software for later systems.
We run a AMB20 system for gas and a Rc system for electric with the same software.
This is taken from there web site :

Supports AMBrc (Serial)
Supports AMBrc3 (Serial and TCP/IP - RJ45 connection)
Support for AMB system 20 (Serial)
Supports AMBrc Handout and Personal (AMBrc DP) Transponders
Manual counting via Keyboard
Any AMBrc handout transponder can represent any car number
Counts Personal Transponders not registered in event
Races can be run by time or laps
Automatically starts and ends races
Support for FTD & Points (Round by Round)
Start methods include Grid (Mass), stagger, rolling and rolling stagger
Spoken voice automation, can run continual races without an operator
HTML Results
Labels for booking in/ transmitters, can print direct onto envelopes
Changeable information on race screen
Colour status information on race screen
Automatically saves all files
Driver Database (no need to enter drivers information every time)
Automatically sort races by results or ability levels
Sorts frequency conflicts automatically
Displays frequency conflicts & changes
Races can be in any order, sorting manually if required
A picture of each driver can be included with their details
Scoreboard connection
Temperature/Humidity/Pressure sensor connection
External lights connection
Frequencies/Crystals can be edited,downloadable files for many countries
Sound Files can be edited, different languages are downloadable
Support for 2.4Ghz Radio systems

InspGadgt 07-31-2007 01:48 AM

It doesn't list a USB AMB which I believe is the current version...at least ours is USB and would not work with the software when I tried it.

razzor 07-31-2007 02:31 AM

OK understood.

Ed Anderson 07-31-2007 06:58 AM

The latest decoder (rc3) doesn't support USB (unless you ment latest version of software). The rc3 only accepts serial and TCP/IP - RJ45 connection.

I used to run an rc off the serial port with Autoscore, with no problems at all.

razzor 07-31-2007 07:20 AM

From my understanding the latest software version supports AMB20, AMBrc and AMBrc3.
Also it can run USB but is not prefered or recommended.

http://www.rctiming.com/timing_systems.shtml

They also mention that some USB to serial cables dont work.see bottom of page in link below.

http://www.rctiming.com/hardware.shtml

monstercol 07-31-2007 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by CaliberX (Post 3533656)

In the UK bbk is very popular.
http://www.bbksoftware.com/

jonrg 07-31-2007 07:29 AM

BBK is used through out Europe and the rest of the world. It's the best software available anywhere. check out the website that's listed in the reply below.

Rnold 07-31-2007 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by razzor (Post 3536005)
From my understanding the latest software version supports AMB20, AMBrc and AMBrc3.

we have recently purchased AMBrc3 and we're using LAPS FREE to run our races. connection to computer is via TCP/IP (using RJ45 Connector).

great software and it's free :)

InspGadgt 07-31-2007 10:25 AM

Ah looking at my decoder now I see it does have a serial connection...I didn't even notice because we never use it. Just the USB since many new laptops don't even have a serial port anymore. Still you'd think by now the software would support USB directly instead of having to use an adapter.

razzor 07-31-2007 10:35 AM

Think this is the reason for it .

"AMBrc3 decoders were introduced in mid 2006 and use the same "Red" transponders as the AMBrc system. The front of the unit has an LCD screen, two buttons to edit settings, a headphone socket and a USB A Socket that is disabled at the present time. At the rear there is a power socket, 10/100 ethernet connection (RJ45), RS232, Auxiliary and loop coax connection. AMBrc3 decoders do not have a USB B connection, instead an Ethernet 10/100 network connection is provided; this means that the decoder must be powered by a separate mains adaptor. This may be seen by many users of AMBrc as a backwards step but I believe that the power requirements of the new decoder are too great for USB. Ethernet does have its advantages over USB however, a more secure connection (will not drop out if the computer goes into power saving) and allows for up to four computers to be connected at the same time. Ethernet also allows the decoder to work independently of a computer to upload lap times via AMB's mylaps live service, just plug the decoder into a adsl/cable router, enter the mylaps username/password and your away, amazing!"

InspGadgt 07-31-2007 10:38 AM

Interesting...though ours definately came with the USB active and not disabled.

Wonder which ours is. It works with the PTs, doesn't have an ethernet connection or a LCD screen on the front. It does have a USB connection, serial, and a coax.

RobertV 07-31-2007 11:04 AM

RC SCORING PRO

Competition scoring software is not somewhere you want to try to save money. Doug Hay's constant development and superb technical support should make the choice an obvious one.

If you can't afford it - save up until you can, it's worth every penny.

Case Closed.

schurcr 07-31-2007 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mason (Post 3533144)
rcsp, there's only 2 things that annoy me about it, 1 is functional the other is a labelling issue. if you signed every one up and decide to change the race length for a class, you can't just go back and change the class settings. The race length is stored with the event entry - so you must know some sql to update that.

Not true ..... I just did what you say is not possible to do without knowing SQL this weekend. Entered all my drvers, setup my heats, when main time came round I checked my race lengths and my Nitro TC was set to 30 min and not the 45 min that we had discussed in our drivers meeting. I ust went into the classes tab, changed my race length to 45 and it was done. I've also done the same when we changed from 4 min oval to 5 min oval the first race day we did so.

Originally Posted by Mason (Post 3533144)
the other one is when you set up the mains, if you change the car count from what you have in the class setup - it will label the print out to "1/2 odd" instead of keeping "B MAIN" or whatever..

I really don't understand this statement. But I don't even pay attention to my main car count in the tracks tab, unless it's nitro for bump ups. I just adjust car count as need on the fly in the mains setup screen and when I print I have no problems with the printout doinf anything other than printing my main the exact way I set it up.

Mason .... maybe this was your experience with RCSP but I can tell you after running over 100 club races, a dozen or so multi day events, 3 or 4 region 12 races, and 3 ROAR nationals you will not find a better race managment software. Can you reach tech support on a cell phone any time of day? The longest I've ever waited was 15 or so minutes for a return call. I've even sent him data on the fly (via email) and resolved issues and the racers didn't even know it. Can you do any of that with Ally Cat, Autoscore, JLap or any of the other lower cost scoring alternatives. With these other alternatives you'll have to know someone localy that has experience to help you out. I'm fairly computer literate and I had no problems figuring it out on my own and a little bit of coaching from Doug.

CaliberX ...... Robert V is right, if you can't afford it right now, get one of the freewares, save your money and buy RCSP. You don't need the $1000 nationals version, yes it has all the bells and whistles, but unless you plan on trying to host a national you really don't need them all. I know Doug offers his software in a couple of packages at different price levels, have you tried talking to him about the software? You may want to hive him a call, get a demo version and try it out. That is what I did and I've never looked back. His number is ..... if you need it PM me and I'll get it to you.