Wiki Posts
Search

LRP Vs Novak Brushless for stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default LRP Vs Novak Brushless for stock

Hi All

Considering going to brushless for 27t stock racing. I understand that Novak have the GTB/13.5 combo and LRP also have a combo.

Who has used these? What are they like? I have heard that Novak had issues with temperature and speedies shutting down?

Anybody?

thanks
Glenn
Old 07-30-2007, 02:58 AM
Tech Regular

I run my 13.5 and GTB without the fan on the esc, and it doesnt even get warm. Most of the thermal shutdown stories have a few things in common, namely very high track temps, and mod motors. Not the 13.5, safe as houses.

good choice on going BL...
Old 07-30-2007, 03:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i also have a GTB+13.5 and have never had any thermal issues, ive ran mine for as long as 20minutes non-stop and its only been warm.......i highly recommend the novak

cheers
Old 07-30-2007, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

From what I have seen at the track is this....the Novak does have a cool safety feature (thermal shut down) in it's speedo/motor combo's LRP doesn't. On race days I've watched racers thermal in mod, 19, and stock using the GTB and novak motors. Mostly due from over gearing. In mod out here at Speedworld the track temps have gotten up to 160 and I never thermaled using a 4.5 mod motor. On that same track I've seen guys with the LRP using Novak motors blow them up due to the fact that they were over geared and LRP doesn't have a thermal shut down feature in it's speedo. I don't know how things will be using LRP 19 turns or 13.5's but this is what I've seen at the club race level. Novak also has state side customer service so should something does go wrong with your Novak products...they can be repaired or replaced (depending on when purchased) in a timely fashion.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
From what I have seen at the track is this....the Novak does have a cool safety feature (thermal shut down) in it's speedo/motor combo's LRP doesn't.
Not true. LRP's have the thermal shutdown feature and the 2007 models even have a feature that lets you know how close you were to reaching it after you run your car.

On that same track I've seen guys with the LRP using Novak motors blow them up due to the fact that they were over geared and LRP doesn't have a thermal shut down feature in it's speedo.
Once again, not true. I have a lot of respect for Novak, but the simple fact of the matter is that their speedos have more thermalling problems than LRP. Bagging on LRP won't fix that problem.

I don't know how things will be using LRP 19 turns or 13.5's but this is what I've seen at the club race level. mer service so should something does go wrong with your Novak products...they can be repaired or replaced (depending on when purchased) in a timely fashion.
True. Novak does have better customer service than LRP because it might take 2 - 3 months to get a replacement LRP speedo if their North American distributor, AE, is out of units.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by r2160
Who has used these? What are they like? I have heard that Novak had issues with temperature and speedies shutting down?
I've been using a 2006 LRP Sphere Comp and a 2007 LRP Sphere Comp for quite some time. Both of them work flawlessly. The 2007 LRP TC Spec is currently the best speedo on the market right now. I'd buy it with the new LRP 13.5 and also pick up an optional sintered rotor. If your track only allows Novak 13.5's, get a LRP TC Spec with a Novak 13.5 instead.

Novak's GTB is a good speedo, but the TC Spec is a little better...For the record, no LRP's have had thermalling problems and none of them have gone poof over the last year at the local track. On the other hand, I've seen a handful of Novak's have thermalling problems and a couple even went poof. That being said, none of the guys who had Novak's that went poof take care of their stuff as well as I do so I wouldn't doubt that user error played a part. "That guy" strikes again.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

OR.....

if you are reeeeealy concerned with thermaling, get a Nomadio radio with live telemetery back the transmitter, and the temp sensor that comes with the radio you can set the transmitter to give you audio and vibe warnings when you get to certain temps.... "warning overheat, warning overheat..."

Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leodis
Not true. LRP's have the thermal shutdown feature and the 2007 models even have a feature that lets you know how close you were to reaching it after you run your car.

Once again, not true. I have a lot of respect for Novak, but the simple fact of the matter is that their speedos have more thermalling problems than LRP. Bagging on LRP won't fix that problem.

True. Novak does have better customer service than LRP because it might take 2 - 3 months to get a replacement LRP speedo if their North American distributor, AE, is out of units.
How do you come up with a not true statement when I clearly stated what I have seen? I wasn't baggin on the LRP system. I gave an opinion which you didn't agree with so "not true" is your standard answer. Oh well.....can't win them all but the bottom line still remains that LRP factory guys at my track (not yours) have blown up more motors than the novak guys at my track. Thermaling saves the motor. IMO....did you catch that IMO....not stating RC law here IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 07-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

LRP's thermal function does not sense the motor, only the speed control.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by STLNLST
How do you come up with a not true statement when I clearly stated what I have seen? I wasn't baggin on the LRP system. I gave an opinion which you didn't agree with so "not true" is your standard answer. Oh well.....can't win them all but the bottom line still remains that LRP factory guys at my track (not yours) have blown up more motors than the novak guys at my track. Thermaling saves the motor. IMO....did you catch that IMO....not stating RC law here IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Maybe I should have made my post clearer. I wasn't saying that the anecdotal info you provided wasn't true. I was referring to the two times that you said LRP has no thermal shutdown feature.

Let's not get our panties in a bunch.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by r2160
Hi All

Considering going to brushless for 27t stock racing. I understand that Novak have the GTB/13.5 combo and LRP also have a combo.

Anybody?

thanks
Glenn
I use a mixture of the above...LRP speedo with Novak 13.5pro... and have had great luck with it.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Advil
LRP's thermal function does not sense the motor, only the speed control.
Does Novak's thermal function measure the temp of the motor AND the speedo? If so, that's pretty cool. Could you provide a link confirming that? I'd like to read up on it.

With the LRP system, I've found that the speedo ALWAYS runs hotter than the motor so measuring the motor temp wouldn't be helpful.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Does Novak's thermal function measure the temp of the motor AND the speedo? If so, that's pretty cool. Could you provide a link confirming that? I'd like to read up on it.

With the LRP system, I've found that the speedo ALWAYS runs hotter than the motor so measuring the motor temp wouldn't be helpful.
The Blue wire in the "harness" from the motor is the motor temp sensor feed. the LRP ignores this input. I have seen the LRP SMOKE some NOVAK motors. Several in fact. This was not the fault of the speed contol however as it was a case of over gearing....that being said, the NOVAK will shut down before the motor goes into "China Syndrome".

So far, in the NOVAK I have seen that the motor (13.5, 4300) runs hotter than the speed control but I have not done any Mod motor temp comparisons.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

I could not find a link to the pertinent data...I do remember that when we were having "thermaling" problems with the bonded rotor the general suggestion was to clip the blue wire in the motor harness....

Hopefully the NOVAK guys can come on here and clarify....
Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Do you have any proof of this? I didn't think so. I believe the 'simple fact of the matter' is that this is merely your speculation, not fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.