R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Recommended ESC's and Receivers

Hey guys, I've been trying to look around the site but haven't really found answers to my question: one of which should be obvious.

Right now I am running a CPR-01 in my Tamiya TT-01. I believe it is the stock esc/receiver. I have been looking at upgrading my ESC, but I noticed that you need a receiver as well on the chassis. How does the receiver hook up to the ESC? This is the question that should be obvious, but I haven't found out how. Is there a plug from the receiver to the ESC?

Also will upgrading the ESC really help much for the car/performance if I keep my Cobalt Pro 27T motor, and will I still be able to use my stock Tamiya Tx?

And like the title implies, I am not sure what ESC to go to if I do. I've seen a couple, but I am looking at the Novak XRS, Mtroniks Viper 15T, and Duratrax intellispeed 8T.

Right now, I might be able to get the Duratrax intellispeed 8T for $60 shipped. I looked at the options and it looks like a great ESC, but it looks like it is really fragile/ any sort of moisture would hurt it.

The thing I like about the Mtroniks ESCs are that they are waterproof, so in general they seem like an almost maintenance free ESC. However, how does it have a heatsink, and does it heat up quickly? How often is it that an ESC is damaged by water?

Basically I am just trying to figure out how the ESC/receiver combo works, and some recommended ESC's/Receivers and Tx's would be awesome too.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I am not familiar with your combo ESC/receiver combo; but, if you do a search on these forums and via Google, you will find lots of info about the electronics you have. Just put in "CPR-01" into Search.

Just watch out that the receiver you get is compatible with your radio. Otherwise, you would need to upgrade that too.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

I just searched the forum, and there's not alot about the CPR-01.

I see that the Futaba 2PH 2-Channel is sold with a servo and reciever--is it that transmitters are really made for a specific receiver?

I forgot to say that I am going to be mainly drifting and rally, so I'd like an ESC that can handle the dirt, pebbles, etc that are going to be bouncing in the chassis. Again, anyone with Mtroniks experience--I am curious how hot the esc's get.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to K_Spec_RC

I would suggest looking through the for sale section here on the forums. You can find good deals on receivers, esc's, ect... and if you are just drifting, you do not need anything special.

there are a few esc's in this ad, as well as a radio/receiver combo. there are also some servos.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=173885

hope this helps
Old 07-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Okay great, that helped.

So I guess no ESC suggestions...?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

ive run mtroniks stuff , never had a heat problem , lota esc for the small price , ray
ray3619 is offline   Reply With Quote